9Likes
  • 8 Post By GOSKN5
  • 1 Post By GOSKN5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Mudskipper paludarium..

I had 2 of these guys many years ago and loved them...sold them and their tank during a relocation.. saw these two for sale at a LFS and had to go for it.. they have been in a temporary tank for a couple weeks while I made this one...

Planning to add some more plants on the back and some in the water.. also going to add a few fish in the water section.. just wanted to share!

Would appreciate some ideas for plants that can handle brackish... thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:38 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
So far these are two of the most unique pets I’ve see in this forum!! Very cool! Thank you for sharing!

YaBoiHunt
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks... they are very interesting

Yaboihunt likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:44 AM
Planted Member

Looks like your a few hours away but any thoughts of hitting up any of the bays on the coastal areas? Been a while since Ive been on the east coast but last I remember the various bays had many brackish plants and what not.

Not sure if thats an option however, I know its a long treck for most.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Looks like your a few hours away but any thoughts of hitting up any of the bays on the coastal areas? Been a while since Ive been on the east coast but last I remember the various bays had many brackish plants and what not.

Not sure if thats an option however, I know its a long treck for most.
Yea not a bad idea at all.. we usually head to the coast a couple times a year for camping trips etc...

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow, I had a trio of these back in early 90’s also. Mine were slightly different variety than yours, East Asian, think yours are African/East Indian. They get up to 4”+. I swear these fish are smart and actually have a personality. After couple training sessions they would hop right in the palm of my hand to get food I had there for them.

If you’ve got 2 males and a female there can be some pretty vigorous sparing/display sessions, mine had spiked front dorsal, both dorsal blue with red on edge. When males displayed the whole side of fish would light up with blue glitters and then they’d pop up those 2 dorsal fins, absolutely stunning. You can also make a male display holding a mirror up to glass.

Prefer at least slightly brackish water, I just used arrowhead plant and some hydrocotyle as beach/water vine. If you’ve got 2 males when they get bigger and start sparring you can expect some broken plants. They’ll eat anything. When they got up to over 2” I started buying small crickets and gut loading them with old fish food, they grew like weeds after that. I think I had your tank I’d try some golden creeping Jenny as shoreline plant and some marimo balls in water. Both are known to be tolerant of brackish waters.

Get some breeding pairs/trio of sphenops/gold dust molly and when they have young and skippers stalk them you’ll amazed at how fast and accurate they are, they have big eyes and very keen vision. They’ll snatch a baby guppy or molly from water surface from across the tank in one precision leap. If it will fit in their mouth it’s food.

Totally amazing fish in every way.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode