low tech 10 Shrimp/Fry Grow-out - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
low tech 10 Shrimp/Fry Grow-out

I am repurposing my old ten gallon to eventually raise Cory fry. I figured, why not keep something in it full time? Shrimp.

8 hr photoperiod 2x13w 5k led bulbs
Dual sponge filter
old heater unknown type
Caribsea supernaturals sand

Fauna:
RCS
1 yellow shrimp (temporary)

Flora:
Subwassertang
Rotala rotundifolia
Ludwigia repens x arcuata
Bacopa caroliniana
Java fern
Mosses
Frogbit
Salvinia minima
Hornwort

I've just finished building the stand. Its stained and need to be sealed yet. I combined a few ideas from the internet and made it fit my needs. Way overkill but its going on carpet and my kids like to jump! It will be far better than anything it has previously been on.

No FTS yet, its been cycling for a while and has a few snails and one yellow shrimp. Found it randomly during a water change on the 29. Must have hitchhiked with something from Petco. Maybe I'll let it get berried with an RCS male and release it back to the 29, see what happens. I tossed a maple leaf in today and the shrimp was all over it in a few minutes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by frogmanjared; 05-17-2019 at 01:17 AM. Reason: floa/fauna update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I decided to build a simple open hood instead of the glass and wood to cover/keep the light up. I've also moved in the pair of CPD in hopes of them laying eggs. Bought some sand and planted a bunch of cuttings from the 29 and added in a chunk of cholla wood I had lying around. It probably won't survive, but I found some moss on a hike and stuck it in the cholla wood. It has the growth habit of other aquatic moss, so maybe. Shrimp come soon and I also got a dual sponge filter to replace the hob. Update with pictures soon!

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Stand/canopy, and shrimp!

The canopy was ready to install today, as well as the sponge filter. Don't mind the mess, this was directly after getting everything set up. Got a good look at the CPD, but they're pretty shy atm because I've been mucking around in the tank the last few days. Since adding the trimmings yesterday they have darkened up nicely. I see why they were called Galaxy rasboras, as the male is nearly black. The female looks very dark again, still thinner than the male, but maybe she'll fatten up. Unfortunately I couldn't get a good picture. So far they are more shy in this tank than in the 29 with the rough long fin danios.

Some of the shrimp that came today, I counted 14. Not sure if any are of age yet, so the yellow will stay until an adult male can mate with her, then she's back in the 29 to see if any babies make it. I think it will be my cull tank.

This is the initial layout. I'm not sure if I want to keep the hornwort or not. If I can keep a small little bush like it is right now, it can stay. I have a soft spot for it since I remember having it as a kid, but man can it get messy! Some Christmas moss (I think) came with the shrimp and I want to do a mat on the back glass. Until then, a few clumps are just sticking out of the sand. That filter is an eyesore, but its a tank and I've had it for 20 years! Maybe I'll put one on my Christmas or anniversary wishlist.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got back from a 2 day trip. Man, the floaters don't like it when the lights are off, they shed a ton of roots! I didn't like the filter placement so that was moved to the side. Today is a sick day so while I'm sitting around I made a moss mat in the shape of a plant and attached Christmas moss to it. I'm not certain it will work out as planned, but the shrimp are already foraging on it. Speaking of shrimp, the yellow still saddled and looks about ready to molt. It looks like the RCS juveniles are maturing, a few females are saddled and a couple males seem adult sized. I may have a population boom soon!

The breeding project with the CPDs seems to be a bust. I can't bring myself to float a spawning mop to give her some cover, so I might have to move the male to the 29 so I can fatten her up.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am excited to see how that moss structure works out! Cool idea.
frogmanjared likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by celadon View Post
I am excited to see how that moss structure works out! Cool idea.
Thanks. I need to wait for it to grow out, then cut and glue more to fill it out a bit more, its pretty sparse. This is a low tech tank, so I'm not sure how long it will take.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The yellow shrimp lost its saddle after it molted, but must have dropped the eggs, it was her first clutch . There are a few more saddled RCS, but hopefully one first timer will be successful with her eggs! The male CPD was bothering the female too much, so I moved him into the 29 a couple days ago. I think she is already getting chunkier!

I made some spirulina sticks, and made way to much paste so I made some popsicle sticks for the BN pleco in my 29.

tredford likes this.

Last edited by frogmanjared; 05-08-2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Added more
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

CPD getting fatter!

I can't get a focused shot of the female CPD... but she is gaining weight! I think I'll give it another week of her in there solo before I re-introduce the male, if her gain keeps up at this rate. The shrimp love the algae sticks I made! I'm happy about that, but they make a mess of it. I'm going to try mixing in some dried egg powder next time to see if that helps it adhere to the wood better. There are 5 saddled females, a few ready to molt within days. Hopefully there will be some success! I can't wait for the colony to start booming.
I took this as soon as I could dry my hand and snap a shot. Super fast to the food! A male was piggybacking a female, no clue what he was doing as she hasn't molted even a day after this happened. As I've noticed with the sand, shrimp poop, a lot!
ScrubbyDick, tredford and Quint like this.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm looking forward to seeing your moss wall grow! And those are really interesting spiralina sticks you made, what a great idea!
frogmanjared likes this.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fry in the near future?

I'm so excited, and nervous at the same time! Did a quick vac of some areas and came up with three eggs! I know they don't release a ton of eggs, so there might be more in there. I'm going to move them out tomorrow after work. I didn't have good luck raising zebra danios, but then again they were in a gallon jar with an airstone. Hopefully a cycled planted tank will help. Started an infusoria culture a few days ago, and have a ton of microworms. Got the microscope out, pretty sure they are fertilized. Pics of 2 of the eggs, couldn't go any lower mag, the camera lens is a higher zoom unfortunately.

The little cup to keep them safe until the adults are out.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fry update

Before I get to the fry update, there's good news on the local moss that I added to the aquarium. I thought it was dying, but there's been some straight upward growth. It looks cool, I wonder if I can get it to look like hair grass or something.

Also, no berried females yet. The yellow shrimp dropped her eggs again, and one other female had as well. The males are constantly swimming around the tank looking like they can sense a mate, but this is really getting me down. I think that's 4 unsuccessful egg clutches.

These pictures were around a day after fertilization.

One of the three eggs, unfortunately, looks like it ruptured in the cup. They hatched yesterday and are clinging today. I gravel vac'd some today to see if I could get any fry, but nothing. The shrimp might have eaten the eggs, or the adults, or they were clinging to plants and I didn't get them. I hope they laid more than 3 eggs! My odds are very low of raising to adulthood if there are only 2 fry. Next time I will vac multiple times a day ad leave them in for 2 mornings. I'm going to keep the fry in the cup for now so feeding will be easier once they are free swimming.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got home to find 3 swimming fry! 2 in the tank and one in the cup. I dumped the cup out since there were others. I hope there are more that I can’t see, or were laid a day later and more will be swimming tomorrow! I’m excited yet terrified at the same time. I hope they survive. I have a good infusoria culture, checked it under the microscope. They seem to be feeding, possibly even going after the smaller microworm.
Thelongsnail and mgeorges like this.

Last edited by frogmanjared; 05-31-2019 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Spelling errors, stupid mobile
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I can still only find the three fry. Their belly’s are full, so here’s hoping all survive!

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Still no luck with berried females. Two molts in two days. Two clutches of eggs dropped. All but one female has dropped their first 2 clutches. I hope the males are adults, or they figure it out next time!

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fry Update

All three fry are doing well! They are eating the microworms with gusto and getting fat bellies! I am going to try giving them BBS in a couple days, not sure if they are large enough yet. My guess is they are around 5-7mm long.

Tags
low tech 10, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode