• 1 Post By livebearerlove
  • 2 Post By livebearerlove

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nano Riparium build

Hello all!
I figured I should create a build thread... if for nothing more than the fact that I need to keep track with a few tanks, lol. So I picked up:
Penn plex curved 3.4 gallon aquarium- 11 inches high by 7 3/8 inches wide and 10 1/4 inches long
ONF Nano Light 1300 lm
Filter: stock cascade internal filter (prolly change that at some point) but it hides behind the rock

Substrate: Eco Complete
Stone: Dragon Stone and white sand

Plants:
Mini dawrf hairgrass
Monte Carlo
Riccia Fliutans
Nana petite anubias
I wouldnt be surprised if I put some of my mini christmas moss, fissidens fontanus, taiwan, etc as I have too much overgrowing in my other tanks.

Terrestrial plants:
Moringa bonsai (I started growing these from seed submersed... taken awhile for them to germinate, but they are doing great, hopefully soon ill be able to tie them together as im going for a bit of a mangrove look)
Ficus... however he is just hanging out and might not stay
Babies tears (towards the top where the light is the strongest.... it might get ticked off as I have no CO2 other than excel, lol)
'Found moss' that I have been working on submerging that will be at the top: Babies Tooth (plagiomnium cuspidatum) and Fern Moss (thuidium deliecotulum)

Inhabitants:
Couple Endlers
1 Amano shrimp
A few Cherry shrimp

The tank is still cycling (with the filter), but doing well at:
pH 7.4
Ammonia at 2 (I was dosing 5ppm and waited for it to drop... so im on a roll!)
Nitrite: .50
Nitrates 40

I hope to plant the end of this week.... I put in the bubbler and have dosed with a small amount of Thrive C.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5334.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	880317  

Name:	IMG_5348.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	880319  

Last edited by livebearerlove; 04-10-2019 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Added photo of Moringa trees growing in eco complete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update Today (Friday):
Ammonia .50
Nitrites .50
Nitrates 80

So for me, now would be a good time to plant. Im not going to 'dose' ammonia anymore (I had been dosing to keep it at 2-5ppm for quite some time). Instead after planting ill wait for it to settle and add some feeder fish in about a week.

Im waiting for some plants to arrive, and I have lots of work to do with my found mosses/liverwort and turning the Moringa Tree seedlings into a bonsai (tying them together now that they have leaves). Still waiting for some plants to be delivered....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 8.14.14 AM.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	880441  

tredford likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok, planted. I did a diagram of what is growing where:
....But.... I took the moringa tree sprouts and wove them together, tying the base with some plumbers thread. The moringa tree roots were more delicate than I thought.... they broke off so easily
Ill see if they make it... it takes awhile for trees to grow! so im starting another grouping. ugh.

I think my next post will be in 2 weeks or so... allowing things to get established (or die). But water parameters are on the right track. Ill add some fish as soon as the ammonia drops down a bit further I have Cobra Sunrise endlers begging for a new enclosure
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5417.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	880467  

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.13.33 AM.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	880469  

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.12.22 AM.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	880471  

frogmanjared and tredford like this.

Last edited by livebearerlove; 04-13-2019 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Adding to moringa tree mess

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A Few days later....

I removed the moringa and put him in a 'critical condition' terrarium, lol. I think he will make it, but im putting him in growth gel so I can monitor root growth. I got rid of babies tears at the top as my found moss was crowding it and I like to see the top of the rocks peak through.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .25
Nitrates: 40

So I added a fish in the habitat (Snow White Platinum guppy). As soon as the nitrites dip further ill add some shrimp to tidy the place up (I did a filter swap and got fuzz on some of the leaves.... shrimp will make quick work of it).
Fern moss was found, and growing like gangbusters!
Everything else is chugging along with the exception of the monte carlo... it was a bit melted when it arrived, and I put half in this tank, and half in my other tank. Not sure if it will make it... as i already removed it from my other tank.
Here are some images:
Fern Moss and Babies tooth, then a tank shot
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 7.37.30 AM.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	880521  

Name:	IMG_5431.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	880523  

Last edited by livebearerlove; 04-15-2019 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Added plant details

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode