Snapdragon's Fluval Spec V - in need of a redo! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Snapdragon's Fluval Spec V - in need of a redo!

I got this tank and its first betta inhabitant a few years back when my dog died, so my initial interest in it was solely to have something to take care of and keep me entertained. After a half-way-across-the-country move and the death of my first betta, I pretty much stuck with my original strategy of "stick whatever plants petco/smart's got that won't die immediately in there and see what happens, oh and a betta." However, lately I've been getting in the mood to do something fancier with it - I'm wanting to redo the current landscaping and planting, and eventually switch from a betta to a school of teeny tiny fish (whenever Velvet, the betta, finally dies of old age). I'm not planning on getting too fancy - I'm sticking with the original light and not planning on adding CO2, but I have been looking into changing to better fertilizers, adjusting how long the lights are on, working on better maintenance, and so forth, because the plants could be happier.

Within the past couple of weeks, I've added a couple of amano shrimp (Velvet is super chill and after determining that they were not food has completely ignored them, even when they swim right by him) and some dwarf water lettuce. Once those have had a month or so to settle in, I'm wanting to pull everything out, build a new hardscape, and replace the plants I'm not happy with.

But for now, the tank! Before cleaning today:
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank before.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	880213

5 gallons, all standard equipment that came with the tank (plus heater in the pump compartment). Planted with anubias nana on some driftwood on the left, mini dwarf hairgrass in the foreground, cryptocoryne undulata "red" in the background, and some dwarf water lettuce corralled on the upper right.

Unfortunately I lost an amano overnight - despite my best efforts at CSI: Aquarium, no cause of death could be found and the remaining shrimp seem perfectly happy. So I'll be monitoring that... Besides that, the tank was overdue for thorough cleaning, and the jungle at the back was getting on my nerves.

After a water change, a thorough glass scrubbing, removing some hairgrass that didn't want to go back into the sand after I'd pulled out the crypt runners, pulling off all the loose leaves on the crypts and pulling out a couple in the thickest sections, and generally sucking up all the cyanobacteria I could, it looks much better, but is still lacking in aquascaping and I keep seeing gunk I want to siphon out and roots I didn't rebury:

Name:	after.JPEG
Views:	14
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	880217

On the plus side, Velvet and the shrimp seem quite pleased - they still have plenty of spots to hang out in and under the plants, but don't have to shove through quite as much vegetation to do so.

Name:	betta.JPEG
Views:	14
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	880219

Name:	shrimp.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	880221

Like I said earlier, I'm going to let the shrimp and water lettuce get settled in before I do anything significant with the hardscape, but I'll be using that time to sketch out my ideas (more on that in a later post) and research plants and their care (and read tank journals...).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

#1 thing Iíd fix is being able to see through to the wall and mirror behind. Itís distracting and draws your eye away from whatís in the tank. I really donít think your layout is bad at all. Those crypt would pop out with a dark background behind them.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've done it before, but it freaks the betta out - I think he can see his reflection better with a dark background. It's the first thing I'm going to do once the betta is gone, but until then I'm stuck with it.

In unrelated news I got up this morning and both amano shrimp had dug themselves head first into the substrate at the back of the tank and died. I am utterly perplexed, but apparently I'm not having shrimp for now...
Update: There's at least one shrimp still living in there. I'd written him off ages ago, but apparently he's just a good hider. Seems perfectly fine again, so it's not like there's something that no shrimp can handle in there...

Last edited by Snapdragon; 04-08-2019 at 07:23 PM. Reason: shrimp drama update

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

black sintra (expanded PVC), matte finish. Pull out gravel from back edge, insert inside on back wall then push gravel back up against it. use U Chanel or clips to secure it at top. no reflection.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode