Jamo's 60U - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
With those plants you don't need aquasoil(I don't have any)

But assuming its already there, add Seachem Stability for quick cycle, and keep up with water changes especially keep up with them daily if Ammonia exceeds 1-2ppm. Keep light period to ~3 hours while cycling.
Although I am aware I did have to have the aquasoil, I like it for its buffering and plan to keep some shrimp in here so that will only help.
I will grab some stability and chuck that in there.

I must say, really disappointed with the tissue culture of MC I got from BucePlant. Seriously not good stuff. But then again, it seems I am not a great planted tank keeper and its quality may not have increased success any way.
Melt is going strong.

Love the tank by the way, very nice indeed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sorry to hear you're suffering some serious melt Jamo.
It may be that you did in fact get a poor quality tissue culture, it can happen. It's hard to know how long it's been between being packaged, and arriving at your doorstep. The tank set up looks nice though, keep at it.

Christian, husband, brother, friend, hobbyist.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Small update here.
Have you ever had the feeling that everything you do and everything that happens in your tank is the complete of what everyone else experiences in their tanks?
You read anywhere on the net that with aquasoil in a new tank you "will" see an ammonia spike. Well, no such event took place in this tank, so whilst everyone else just uses the leached ammonia to seed their cycle, I have to drop the ammonia in. I'm not quite sure why this has happened to me with every aquasoil attempt thus far, but if I were to go by person al experience right now I would say the ammonia spike is somewhat elusive. Regardless, checked parameters and saw a clean slate 0,0,0. Hmm, not good. Added more ammonia and I indeed have a no cycle. Bugger. That's delayed fish introduction a while.
Plants that could recover are starting some new growth, dwarf sag is the worst off...it just is not happy. Fingers crossed. If not, anyone got some spare to lend?
Stocking plans are tentative but im thinking of CPDs, a school of chili rasboras and some otocinclus, plus misc shrimp.

FTS

When's the best time to start dosing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:13 PM
Suspended

I'm confused, where's the Aquasoil? Inside the mound of rocks? Tank looks good BTW

post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
I'm confused, where's the Aquasoil? Inside the mound of rocks? Tank looks good BTW
Yeppers. Behind all the rocks, an entire bag of aquasoil in there. Perhaps not enough aquasoil in there to have an impact?
Thanks, I'm happier with how it's coming along now

|
|
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update on the tank.
Honestly, I do not know what I am doing wrong. This tank should be cycled, and yet with constant monitoring and addition of ammonia the tank continues to not be cycled...not even a hint of Nitrite. Did I miss the cycle entirely? Has it already happened and just isn't eating the amount of ammonia I would like?

Anyway, I am happy with the way it is looking, the aim was always going to be an overgrown mess, I think it is on the right track. Cleaning day is soon to come.
Still only at 4 hours lighting, everything is growing well though. I will be transitioning back to my 6-7ish hours after I am confident the cycle is complete and I can begin to add inhabitants.

New additions.
Buce misc again, why do I never know the species of Buce I am getting. Melted back to the rhizome and has begun to bounce back.
Blyxa Japonica
Fisseden Fontanus

|
|
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo33 View Post
Update on the tank.
Honestly, I do not know what I am doing wrong. This tank should be cycled, and yet with constant monitoring and addition of ammonia the tank continues to not be cycled...not even a hint of Nitrite. Did I miss the cycle entirely? Has it already happened and just isn't eating the amount of ammonia I would like?

Anyway, I am happy with the way it is looking, the aim was always going to be an overgrown mess, I think it is on the right track. Cleaning day is soon to come.
Still only at 4 hours lighting, everything is growing well though. I will be transitioning back to my 6-7ish hours after I am confident the cycle is complete and I can begin to add inhabitants.

New additions.
Buce misc again, why do I never know the species of Buce I am getting. Melted back to the rhizome and has begun to bounce back.
Blyxa Japonica
Fisseden Fontanus

I love this design and plant selection so much!
I may try to duplicate this in a future tank.
What size - gallons is this?

post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I love this design and plant selection so much!
I may try to duplicate this in a future tank.
What size - gallons is this?
Thank you for the kind words, I too was drawn into the island bank design by others on this forum. Want to see it done with excellence, look over at @Ventchur and his tank.
This is the UNS 60U, so 20 gallons.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for link to other journal. Gorgeous. Yours and the other.
I am really getting bored with my 180 gallon and I have lots of Icelandic lava rock in there. I wonder if I could make this sort of design work on each corner of the aquarium.
I have geophagus in here ( other earth-eaters and group of corydoras) so need to open up more room at substrate level for them to sift/graze throughout day. Im glad I looked at your journal, it got me thinking....
Wouldn't be able to do active substrate, however, too hard to control water quality with so many sensitive fish in this tank.

post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Thanks for link to other journal. Gorgeous. Yours and the other.
I am really getting bored with my 180 gallon and I have lots of Icelandic lava rock in there. I wonder if I could make this sort of design work on each corner of the aquarium.
I have geophagus in here ( other earth-eaters and group of corydoras) so need to open up more room at substrate level for them to sift/graze throughout day. Im glad I looked at your journal, it got me thinking....
Wouldn't be able to do active substrate, however, too hard to control water quality with so many sensitive fish in this tank.
I think that could be a great idea, the hardest thing would be trying to make two separate banks look natural. I would think one bank being bigger than the other, whilst also using more of the depth would look amazing. Big bank on the right and small bank on the left, maybe even a way to create some hidden depth by creating a sort of canyon style meeting between the two.
Very much like this idea.
The scaping can be completed regardless of substrate really, you can do it with those species and whatever plants you want.
Let me know when/if you decide to do it, I would love to help with the designing stage if you need any assistance.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo33 View Post
I think that could be a great idea, the hardest thing would be trying to make two separate banks look natural. I would think one bank being bigger than the other, whilst also using more of the depth would look amazing. Big bank on the right and small bank on the left, maybe even a way to create some hidden depth by creating a sort of canyon style meeting between the two.
Very much like this idea.
The scaping can be completed regardless of substrate really, you can do it with those species and whatever plants you want.
Let me know when/if you decide to do it, I would love to help with the designing stage if you need any assistance.
Okay-- that will be great!

post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Spoke too soon!
Put 2-3ppm of ammonia in the tank last night and it has all been processed to nitrates.
Interesting that my testing managed to miss the entire Nitrite spike... 3ppm of ammonia added again, will test again tomorrow to prove a true cycle.

This is awesome though, I have been getting anxious wanting to add fish.

Advice here.
I am wanting ottos, CPD and boraras misc (Brigittae?)
My only reservation with the b.Brigittae is that their natural habitat is far from my tank's conditions. From what I understand they are a slow water and dark water fish, much like a tetra I suppose?

|
|
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well today capped off the finishing touches to the build. Much like moving into a new home, you're never truly in until those last boxes have been cracked open. In this case, it was cleaning up the cabinet.

While what I am doing here may not seem important to many people, sometimes even I question its validity, it was important to me when I built this stand that I did it to the best of my ability. The best of my ability meaning that if there was a way to make anything look better or function better, I would do that.
So, this is what happened today, after I had of course finished cooking dinner and getting everything my wife wanted done first...yay.

Here is a glimpse inside the cabinet. Ignore the baby shampoo.

See the wires everywhere and the wires coming out of the cabinet (I had move my tc421 out of the cabinet to begin making things pretty), well these are one of the biggest eyesores to me. I work in the electrical field, and it is a routine part of my job to make everything as neat as it can be (power distribution wiring stuff, HV breakers etc).

This is what I decided would be the best method of cleaning it up. Have the tc421 mounted high, with a drip loop for any chance of water, stick the power transformer to the side (avoid screws for the sake of the cabinet), organize wires in a way that will allow access to switches and plugs.

Looking pretty good I'd say, but not good enough.
See what really bugs me is that I can still see everything.
So I build a facade. Simply a piece of solid oak and oak plywood (same as the cabinet) biscuit jointed together to form a nice little right angle.
Now that I have everything organized, all I need to do is slip that in place and hey presto the cabinet has changed completely. It now looks extremely clean and organised.

Like I said. This may not be important to many people. But to those of use who suffer with the need to do things like this, I hope you appreciate it.

|
|
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:21 AM
Algae Grower

Tank is coming along nicely and excellent work on the stand organization/cable management.

Get some mini pelia on those rocks my man, you won't regret it!

post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventchur View Post
Tank is coming along nicely and excellent work on the stand organization/cable management.

Get some mini pelia on those rocks my man, you won't regret it!
Thanks mate. Hmmm not a bad idea, but now I need to buy it!!!! How does pelia perform in low tech conditions?

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode