• 1 Post By pjnelson50
  • 2 Post By pjnelson50
  • 1 Post By VioletAqua

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Aquascape

Hey Everyone, just joined and excited to receive feedback and advice. This is my first tank and I feel like I have done a ton of research but I know it's a hobby you learn as you go. When I initially started I wanted a very easy setup but every time I do research I want to do more and more.

Equipment I have to start:
-AquaMaxx Rectangular Low-Iron Rimless Aquarium - 9.6 Gallon
-Hygger Aquarium Fish Tank Light, White and Blue LEDs, Clip on Led Clamp Light for Aquarium Lighting, with Adjustable Big Clip and Flexibel Neck (45 LED, Clip 0.98 inch)
-Hygger Submersible Fish Tank Heater, Heat-Resistant Milky Quartz Made, with External Temp Controller, 50W
-Penn Plax Cascade 500 Canister Aquarium Filter
-JARDLI Glass Mini Inflow & Outflow Lily Pipes for Nano Aquarium Planted Tank (17mm for 5/8''(16/22mm) tubing)
-Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum (Base Layer)
-Flourite Black Sand (Cap Layer)

I started with dry start method to grow some Monte Carlo in foreground and Java Moss on the hardscape. Pics are 2.5 weeks since plant and I'm excited to see Java Moss begin to grow. I've seen great condensation during the whole process and only wiped front glass for photo. Only issue I've encountered to this point was a little white hair allege (not positive) on one piece of wood. Simply used a toothbrush and it hasn't reappeared yet.

Plan is to submerge the tank in a few more weeks after I'm confident Java Moss has attached. Still haven't decided on the mid or background plants but I would love some red to play off rocks if you all think I will have enough light. I originally didn't want to do co2 but as I go I think I'm going to need it. Just came across the Fluval mini co2 kit and I think it might suffice for my needs. The passive diffuser does look big but I figure I can kinda hid it behind tall rock in back right.

Once plants are established I'm thinking a variety color of Shrimp and a few male Endler's livebearer. Again I'm here to learn so please don't hesitate to give feedback and advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSM 1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	879997  

Name:	DSM 2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	447.5 KB
ID:	879999  

tredford and Yaboihunt like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:44 PM
Algae Grower

Tank looks great so far. If you're looking for some red plants, some AR red mini or some Hygrophila araguaia would grow fine in there even if you don't end up going for CO2. I have both in a low-tech tank and they look pretty good. I like your hardscape, excited to see once you flood and add a few more plants.
pjnelson50 likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Great suggestion for Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'! I think that would be a great pick for mid-ground on the right.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm 4 weeks into DSM and the Java Moss is starting to see great growth. Monte Carlo has slowed a little and I'm not exactly sure why. I've gotten a little lazy with spraying twice a day is the only thing I can think of. Looks like plenty of moisture in tank so I'm guessing it is the gas exchange. I'm off to travel Europe for two weeks and will submerge the tank when I return.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6620BB6C-8B88-4C49-8C1C-0C6223FA88A2_1555276343071.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	4.25 MB
ID:	880511  

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finally submerged and planted my tank. Went with Scarlet Temple, Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' & Bacopa caroliniana. Added the Fluval mini co2 and hope to be able to pull it out eventually once everything is established. Plan is to let the plants settle then add shrimp. Any advice on what is normal leaf die off? It's been 4 days since I've planted and the AR has lost most of its red and many leaves are dying off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9222DA85-7134-49E0-962B-C02E9AC85857_1557365600642.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	4.13 MB
ID:	881603  

VioletAqua likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A week and half into filling aquarium and I'm already getting a lot of algae. Going to post in algae thread with more details if you can help. Also added 3 cherry shrimp I got in trade. They didn't eat the first wafer I gave them so must be a lot else going on in tank for them to eat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6E20EFD3-0877-4527-8C92-FEB00F154DCC_1557982103720.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	881791  

Yaboihunt and WillR1496 like this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:31 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnelson50 View Post
A week and half into filling aquarium and I'm already getting a lot of algae. Going to post in algae thread with more details if you can help. Also added 3 cherry shrimp I got in trade. They didn't eat the first wafer I gave them so must be a lot else going on in tank for them to eat.
Looks good from here. Algae is usually a sign that your lights are either too bright or on for too long.

You for sure don't have to feed those shrimp. I had a breeding colony of about 80 that got half an algae wafer a week, otherwise they were just eating leftover fish food, plant matter, and biofilm. I wouldn't start feeding at all until you have a colony of at least 10.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:42 AM
Algae Grower

tanks looking good!
gjcarew likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode