48g first planted tank (my spiral into madness) - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
48g first planted tank (my spiral into madness)

So after about a year of thinking about attempting a planted tank, I've finally done it.

Its already set up and 13 days in, no fish or anything yet just plants. weird stuff is happening.

I wanted to do a journal (mainly) for myself to look back on when everything is is working and everybody is happy.

The thing that sparked this was spotting (what I think) are detritus worms and then tiny snails which are so small I wasn't sure if they were snails or not THEn down the end of the tank I see silky web looking stuff everywhere and spot what is definitely a snail.

I don't know, I'm very new to this SOS

http://imgur.com/a/juZI7i4
Greggz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:45 PM
Algae Grower

Good luck. I'm trying this for the first time as well, although you have about a month on me, looks like. Will be following.
Greggz likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you! Good luck to you as well

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So 28 days in now. Had quite the spike in ammonia (8ppm) for a bit but it's now at 0ppm but my problem now is nitrite (5ppm) and has been for a little bit now , and bubbles from my substrate causing an oily film on the surface of the water.

But my plants seem to be doing well and there is new growth despite some algae. Some of the ambulia had a bit of a moment after I bought a wavemaker that was way to powerfull and pulled some of them up but after replanting them theyve got lots of new growth.

Is the nitrite from not enough surface agitation? Or oxygen? Also could the bubbles be causing nitrite? Who knows not me!

https://imgur.com/gallery/d5r2OH6
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbfish View Post
So 28 days in now. Had quite the spike in ammonia (8ppm) for a bit but it's now at 0ppm but my problem now is nitrite (5ppm) and has been for a little bit now , and bubbles from my substrate causing an oily film on the surface of the water.

But my plants seem to be doing well and there is new growth despite some algae. Some of the ambulia had a bit of a moment after I bought a wavemaker that was way to powerfull and pulled some of them up but after replanting them theyve got lots of new growth.

Is the nitrite from not enough surface agitation? Or oxygen? Also could the bubbles be causing nitrite? Who knows not me!

https://imgur.com/gallery/d5r2OH6
Nitrites indicate that your biological cycle is not complete. There is two phases in your cycle. Ammonia to Nitrites, and then Nitrites to Nitrates. I would advise using an additive like Tetra Safe Start to kick start the second phase of the cycle. Plants will be OK while still establishing the cycle, but do not add any fish until you are at 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, and your Nitrates are starting to accumulate. Best way to remove Nitrates is through water changes.

I may come across as a know-it-all. In reality, I have no idea.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have been doing weekly 30% water changes and adding aquaone water conditioner and leaf zone. Since the nitrite rose I started using API qucik start, which I think is the same sorta thing as tetra safe right?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

She's finally cycled, after well over a month. Added a snail who isn't fussed about eating all the plants and I'm waiting for a moss ball and wave maker to come in the post.

Really don't know the best way to add the fish from the existing tank to this new one.

http://imgur.com/gallery/bvkaU6T
http://imgur.com/gallery/6SG10xx
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The plant you have next to rock with hole in it with silver splashes in leaves is not really a aquatic plant. Silver peperomia species usually used as terrarium plant. It may hang on grown submerged but it will never really thrive.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

To be ultra safe about adding fish, look up drip acclimation. Or if temps and parameters are the same just net them and add them in. Leave the lights off to not stress them overly.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for this I honestly had no idea that it wasn't an aquatic plant. Noticed he was struggling but didn't really know why, will he like just a normal plant pot?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Thank you for this I honestly had no idea that it wasn't an aquatic plant. Noticed he was struggling but didn't really know why, will he like just a normal plant pot?
Yes, can find them in most garden supply as house plants. Prefer a higher humidity jungle like environment.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:50 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
To be ultra safe about adding fish, look up drip acclimation. Or if temps and parameters are the same just net them and add them in. Leave the lights off to not stress them overly.
It seems everyone has a different way of doing just about everything in this hobby! And none are "wrong" necessarily. There are a few well-reputed aquarium gurus recommend "plop and drop" and say they have had much less fish stress & loss. Now, in many cases, they are talking about shipped fish, I think. Here's a video where Rachel O'Leary (msjinkzd) talks about it:

Ammonia is activated by oxygen. So, if you've had fish in a bag for quite a while, when you open that bag, the ammonia that was inactive becomes much more potent. I've always had much better success simply acclimating the bag to the temp of your tank, then netting and placing the fish right in. I've never lost a fish or shrimp doing this.

Now, if you're just bringing fish home from the store in a bag, it may not matter as much. Looking forward to a FTS (full tank shot) when you're stocked!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Quote:
Yes, can find them in most garden supply as house plants. Prefer a higher humidity jungle like environment.
Good thing I'm living in Australia, hopefully the lil guy enjoys not drowning anymore.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsMeow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
It seems everyone has a different way of doing just about everything in this hobby! And none are "wrong" necessarily. There are a few well-reputed aquarium gurus recommend "plop and drop" and say they have had much less fish stress & loss. Now, in many cases, they are talking about shipped fish, I think. Here's a video where Rachel O'Leary (msjinkzd) talks about it:

Ammonia is activated by oxygen. So, if you've had fish in a bag for quite a while, when you open that bag, the ammonia that was inactive becomes much more potent. I've always had much better success simply acclimating the bag to the temp of your tank, then netting and placing the fish right in. I've never lost a fish or shrimp doing this.

Now, if you're just bringing fish home from the store in a bag, it may not matter as much. Looking forward to a FTS (full tank shot) when you're stocked!
Thanks for the help!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode