Waterbox 230.6 Blackwater build - The Planted Tank Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Waterbox 230.6 Blackwater build

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a new Waterbox 230.6 from Marine Depot. I spoke to Waterbox customer service and was told that it should ship out tomorrow, so hopefully I will be able to start working on getting it setup.

The plan is to make this a Blackwater Amazon tank. I will likely not be doing a true biotope, but I think it will be close. Here is a list of the items I have already purchased and my planned stocking list.

Gear: (owned)

- Waterbox 230.6
- Jebao DCP 13000 return pump
- American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
- 400GPD light commercial RO system with dual DI canisters (used for my Reef system)
- 3 large pieces of Manzanita
- 500 IAL/Catappa leaves
- 150 Alder cones
- Several boxes of peat
- small pump and tubing for ATO (no controller yet)
- 100lbs of Pool filter sand

Gear: (still need to purchase)
- Heaters and temp controllers
- Lights (considering AI Hydra 26HD, turned WAY down, so i can use them for a reef later if I decide)
- ATO controller

Planned stocking:
- Small school of Discus (6 or 7)
- Shoal of hatchetfish (15-20)
- Shoal of Cardinal tetras (15-20)
- Shoal of Rummynose tetras (15-20)
- Several Cory Cats
- A couple of plecos (maybe gold nugget or rio negro)
- floating plants of some sort

I would also LOVE to add some rams, but I am not sure whether they would work well with the Discus. As this is my first venture into blackwater, please let me know if there is anything that I have left out or should take into consideration. I welcome your comments and suggestions.

I will start posting pics as soon as the tank is delivered so stay tuned.
livebearerlove and iamaloner like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:39 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Yey! A perfect tank for discus.

With Hatchets, a cover is a must. Besides the usual floaters, Brazilian Pennywort, Water Sprite, Water Hyacinth are some other choices.

Moving that tank off the pallet onto the stand is a task not to be taken lightly.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Algae Grower

I was also thinking that you will definately need a cover. I'm not sure if discus jump but it would suck to lose some.
What colour stand did you get? I wish they sold the aquariums in canada but alas they dont.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Yey! A perfect tank for discus.

With Hatchets, a cover is a must. Besides the usual floaters, Brazilian Pennywort, Water Sprite, Water Hyacinth are some other choices.

Moving that tank off the pallet onto the stand is a task not to be taken lightly.

A plan is in place. I have some brand new furniture dollies and 6 suction cup handles for glass. add a handful of guys to help lift the tank and we should have it done in short order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaloner View Post
I was also thinking that you will definately need a cover. I'm not sure if discus jump but it would suck to lose some.
What colour stand did you get? I wish they sold the aquariums in canada but alas they dont.

I went with the black stand. I like the white, but worry about stains or yellowing over time.

I will have to find a lid for the tank, any ideas on that front?
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:48 PM
Algae Grower

I have a elos 5 foot reef tank that I got 2nd hand. I used it for freshwater.
The person who owned it before make an excellent DIY mesh lid that sat flush on the rimless top. You could make something like that. I'll send you a picture of it when I'm home from work.

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:32 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

I belive @Cichlid-140 made one for his 190.5, details are in his joirnal.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...-mbuna%5D.html
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaloner View Post

Discus jump- routinely. A very skittish species of fish.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Discus jump- routinely. A very skittish species of fish.
Good to know. I am looking into a couple options fro lids. I can make one from standard window screen, but with a tank like this I feel it would take away from the clean look. I have also looked into DD jump guard and Octo lids. I think Octo lids would look the best!
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am finally going to be putting the tank on the stand tomorrow. The system was delivered on Monday, but lack of help and a minor stand issue put things on hold for a few days. I had to contact Waterbox support about a problem with one of the doors. It turns out there were some plastic anchors missing from one of the panels. Waterbox was quick to figure out the problem and had me fixed up in no time. So far I am thrilled with my experience with Waterbox. I will be sure to post more pics tomorrow once the tank is in it's final resting spot.

In the meantime a few pictures to hold you all over., including a few of my humble 40B reef tank.

20190408_220511 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20190412_130722 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20190412_151950 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20190412_152155 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20190412_152211 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20190412_172802 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20190412_172810 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20190412_172817 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20190412_172831 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr
tredford likes this.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I belive @Cichlid-140 made one for his 190.5, details are in his joirnal.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...-mbuna%5D.html
Here's a link to the cover build

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...arge-tank.html

Planted S. Am. Waterbox 190 (141G dispaly w/sump & stand)
{new - in progress }
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:42 PM
Algae Grower

That carpet anemone has amazing color! Can't wait to see the new tank up and running.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

BTW I'm betting you're going to be very happy with the WaterBox. I have been. The overflow andsump are very well designed and matched which is one of the best parts. Once you tune the overflow it's very quiet.

{new - in progress }
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:06 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

@lpsouth1978, the stand is looking good. What plastic parts were missing from the doors? I am still trying to figure out how the magnetic door latches would work without any metal in the doors themselves.

Waterbox's support is pretty good, even though they have a single person handling all the calls.

Waiting for the pictures of the tank on the stand
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
@lpsouth1978, the stand is looking good. What plastic parts were missing from the doors? I am still trying to figure out how the magnetic door latches would work without any metal in the doors themselves.

Waterbox's support is pretty good, even though they have a single person handling all the calls.

On mine The doors are on soft close hinges. The release posts are the spring loaded press to release type and aren't magnetic the tension of the hinge keeps the door closed till a press on it trips the post to push the door slightly open.

{new - in progress }
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid-140 View Post
I just ordered an Octo lid this morning, a bit more expensive, but I think it will look better with the clean look of the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredford View Post
That carpet anemone has amazing color! Can't wait to see the new tank up and running.
Thanks. That carpet is the pride of my tank! My spotcinclus clown think so too.

Quote:
BTW I'm betting you're going to be very happy with the WaterBox. I have been. The overflow andsump are very well designed and matched which is one of the best parts. Once you tune the overflow it's very quiet.
I LOVE it so far! I can't wait to finish filling it and turning it on. Only about 8 hours of RO running and I will be ready to turn it on.

Quote:

If you look at the picture without doors, you will see some little holes on the side of the sump chamber. These were supposed to have little plastic pieces in them, almost like tiny drywall anchors, but they were missing. Waterbox sent some out immediately and everything is now perfect.

Quote:
On mine The doors are on soft close hinges. The release posts are the spring loaded press to release type and aren't magnetic the tension of the hinge keeps the door closed till a press on it trips the post to push the door slightly open.
Exactly!

Bump: And now for some pics. So far I have about 70 gallons of water in the tank. ~40 from the soaking of the driftwood, and another ~30 fresh RO/DI. I have my RO system running right now, producing water as fast as possible. Luckily, I have a 400gpd light commercial system that really makes a lot of water fast! So far I only have some driftwood and sand in the tank. I have IAL and alder coned soaking, but they are not sinking yet, almost 48 hours later, so I have not added them yet. I have also ordered a few river stones and an assortment of seed pods from Tannin Aquatics.

Let me know what you think. Should I get some more driftwood? Maybe add some to the other side of the tank? O just leave that side open with twigs, stones, and leaf litter?

20190413_110520 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20190413_110525 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode