Waterbox 230.6 Blackwater build - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can't wait to see how this evolves! Looking good!

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 02:34 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Would love to see an update!
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadim Shevchuk View Post
Would love to see an update!
Sorry about the lack of updates, I have been updating another forum, but slacking here. I guess this will be a pretty big update. It looks like there have been a lot of changes since the last update. Obviously, I have filled the tank and completed the cycle, which took almost 6 weeks. I had decided at 1 point that this was no longer going to be a discus tank, but have angels as the main fish. However, wen I went to get the angels, the store had some beautiful discus for a good price AND they were offering buy 2 get 1 free on them.Naturally, I got 12 Discus that day.

Because I knew that the tank had enough bacteria to handle a full bioload, I went ahead and also got 30 rummynose tetras, 12 German Blue Rams, and 12 Sterbai Corys. Everything did great in the tank for a few days, and then I noticed a few white spots on some of the tetras (no I did not QT anything) which spread quickly to the GBR's. Luckily, none of the discus EVER showed any signs. At this point I turned up the heat, literally. I turned the tank temp up to 89 since Ich cant survive at temps over 86. Over the next few days I lost most of the tetras, more than half of the GBR's, and 1 cory before the ich started to die off. In the end all of the remaining fish are healed, healthy, and growing and coloring amazingly.

Starting out I was feeding a mixture of prepared frozen foods including beef heart, mysis shrimp, blood worms, and brine shrimp. I tried flake and pellet foods, but they would not touch either of them. Because the discus eat a lot, this was getting quite expensive very quickly, so I decided to make homemade food for them. I used fresh beef heart (from the local butcher), raw shrimp, raw salmon, spinach, freeze dried cyclops, discus flakes, spirulina flakes, banana, and vitamins. The fish LOVE it, and I now have enough frozen food to last a year or more with 4 feedings a day.

In order to keep the nitrates down with all of these feedings I have to do daily water changes. This was proving to be a time consuming task, so I had to come up with an easier solution. This lead me to coming up with a semi-automatic water change system that has simplified the process. I got 2 brute garbage cans, a 33 gallon and a 44 gallon. I drilled a hole in each can and placed a float toward the top of the can. I then connect 1/4" tubing to the floats. The 44 gallon can is attached to my RO/DI system and fills while I am at work each day. It only takes an hour or 2 because I have a 400gpd system. This can also has a pump in it to keep the water moving throughout the day effectively aging the water, even though it doesn't really need to be aged. Each night when I get home, I roll the can to the tank use a clamp to attach the 1/2" hose from the pump to the rim of the tank, and plug the pump into my ATO controller. The smaller can has a tube going into the DT that is used as a drain line. It drains VERY slowly taking about 6 hours to fill the can. The idea is that as the tank slowly drains, the ATO will turn on the pump and refill with fresh,clean water and I barely have to lift a finger. In all I do about 5 minutes of work and the tank get a 30g water change every day. This keeps the nitrates <5.

Now, if you actually read through all of that, thanks for sticking with it! I guess that I will now get to the part you all really want, the pictures. Let me know what you all think.

20190605_185232 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20190605_185115 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20190605_184959 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20190605_185026 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20190605_184929 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20190605_184818 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20190605_184750 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

20190605_184727 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
You did a great job designing tank for discus. Looks great and functional for keeping substrate clean.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The Blue is brautiful.I'd like to see it against some plant greenery.

Planted S. Am. Waterbox 190 (141G dispaly w/sump & stand)
{new - in progress }
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Very nice- glad to see an update!

|

post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
That's a great update! I'm sorry to hear about the fish though, it's always a risk, isn't it? If you ever decide to try using flake or pellet food, soaking it in the juice from thawing the frozen food is a good way to encourage the fish to eat it. If you decide you want to put some plants in there, I'd suggest Crinum since they do best as a plant-and-forget as well as Tiger Lilies or Banana plants. All of those will give the fish vertical "structure" that they can comfortably swim through and the lilies will give shade as well to both give the fish extra comfort and help reduce algae inducing light. Even without plants that's a lovely tank that you must be awfully proud of.

Regards,
Phil

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode