Waterbox 230.6 Blackwater build - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lookin' good Keep th' pic comin'

Planted S. Am. Waterbox 190 (141G dispaly w/sump & stand)
{new - in progress }
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid-140 View Post
Lookin' good Keep th' pic comin'
As you wish....

I went ahead and boiled 25 IAL and 50 alder cones, then added them to the tank. I also added some of the blackwater extract that was produced from boiling. I think it is coming together nicely. Only about 6 hours left before I can turn on power to the return.

20190413_130328 by Lyle Southard, on Flickr
OVT, chayos00 and Cichlid-140 like this.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsouth1978 View Post
Let me know what you think. Should I get some more driftwood? Maybe add some to the other side of the tank? O just leave that side open with twigs, stones, and leaf litter?
Personally, I would add a bunch more drift wood just like the pieces you have in there now, all across the back and sides. Also, lots of leaf litter and river stone throughout.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:01 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I agree with @JJBTEXAS, as the tank looks a bit bare to me personally.

If no plants, then rocks and wood is what give a tank character, IMHO. Plus the sense of security to fish. The downside is more places for junk to collect and clean. With any hardscape, think of how hard it would be to reach between the rocks and branches. If buying more wood, I find https://www.bloomsandbranches.com a good place for Manzanita (do check their sales and promo codes). 12 x 24" tall branches cost me $120 total and was enough wood 3 times over for my 5' tank. If you go that route, do trim off the smaller twigs to prevent spooked fish from getting impaled. Dremel-like tool ($20 at Harbor Freight) comes in handy for that, if you already don't own one.

As a heads up, do expect to get milky white gelatinous fungus on the new wood, it's harmless and will either go away on its own or be eaten by fish.

I do like your alternative to filter socks, it looks sturdy enough to hold some media, if need be. Mind pointing me to the source? Thanks!.
If you are looking for media bags, LiveAquaria now has them in good sizes and 2 mesh densities on clearance at < $1/ea.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I agree with @JJBTEXAS, as the tank looks a bit bare to me personally.

If no plants, then rocks and wood is what give a tank character, IMHO. Plus the sense of security to fish. The downside is more places for junk to collect and clean. With any hardscape, think of how hard it would be to reach between the rocks and branches. If buying more wood, I find https://www.bloomsandbranches.com a good place for Manzanita (do check their sales and promo codes). 12 x 24" tall branches cost me $120 total and was enough wood 3 times over for my 5' tank. If you go that route, do trim off the smaller twigs to prevent spooked fish from getting impaled. Dremel-like tool ($20 at Harbor Freight) comes in handy for that, if you already don't own one.

As a heads up, do expect to get milky white gelatinous fungus on the new wood, it's harmless and will either go away on its own or be eaten by fish.

I do like your alternative to filter socks, it looks sturdy enough to hold some media, if need be. Mind pointing me to the source? Thanks!.
If you are looking for media bags, LiveAquaria now has them in good sizes and 2 mesh densities on clearance at < $1/ea.
I was looking into those myself, Really interested in your opinion.

Amazon hs them in 4" and 7".
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=filter+me...b_sb_ss_i_1_16

{new - in progress }
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all for the advice! I went ahead and ordered more branches from manzanita-driftwood.com. I also added more leaves and alder cones. I now have 75 IAL and 200 alder cones in there. I may have to eventually take some out, depending on the effect they have on my pH. I also have an order from Tannin aquatics that should be here later this week. It includes some river stones and an assortment of amazonian seed pods.

Lastly, I tested my water this morning and here are the results:

KH= 0
GH= 3
TDS= 98
Temp= 84.2
pH= 6.74

I will be adding ammonia today to get the cycle started, so hopefully I will be ready to start adding fish in a few weeks. Until then I will add to the scape and wait (probably impatiently)

Bump:
Quote:
I was looking into those myself, Really interested in your opinion.

Amazon hs them in 4" and 7".
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=filter+me...b_sb_ss_i_1_16
That is where I first found the 7" media cup, but I ended up ordering it from Marine Depot. I figured it would be perfect for peat, carbon (if ever needed), or any other media I might want to add later. I still have a filter in the first holder, and the media cup in the second.
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Thank you all for the advice! I went ahead and ordered more branches from manzanita-driftwood.com. I also added more leaves and alder cones. I now have 75 IAL and 200 alder cones in there. I may have to eventually take some out, depending on the effect they have on my pH. I also have an order from Tannin aquatics that should be here later this week. It includes some river stones and an assortment of amazonian seed pods.

Lastly, I tested my water this morning and here are the results:

KH= 0
GH= 3
TDS= 98
Temp= 84.2
pH= 6.74

I will be adding ammonia today to get the cycle started, so hopefully I will be ready to start adding fish in a few weeks. Until then I will add to the scape and wait (probably impatiently)

Bump:

That is where I first found the 7" media cup, but I ended up ordering it from Marine Depot. I figured it would be perfect for peat, carbon (if ever needed), or any other media I might want to add later. I still have a filter in the first holder, and the media cup in the second.
I found the mesh sock in the first holder to be great as a plce to siphon to when vacuuming. It will capture everything including sand which I later wash and return to the tank. It Makes for vacuuming with no time limits.

{new - in progress }
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I found the mesh sock in the first holder to be great as a plce to siphon to when vacuuming. It will capture everything including sand which I later wash and return to the tank. It Makes for vacuuming with no time limits.
That is a great idea! I may have to get a longer piece of tubing and a clamp to hold the end in the sock.

On another note... What are your thoughts on the order to add fish? Would you add the Discus first and once they are settled and bacteria have caught up to the bioload add the dither fish? Or would you add dither fish first and Discus last? I think I am going to order 10-12 Discus from Discus Hans when the time comes.
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:55 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I like the idea of the cup for chemical media, especially if it does not increase noise or restrict the flow. Certainly provides more flexibility and might be enough for biological filtration in a planted tank. And I like Marin Depo's price better.

Fish wise, first one in owns the place. I add smaller to larger, less agresive to more agresive. If no QT, adding dither fish last also increases the chance of adding pathogens to a Discus tank. Adding discus last would also mean adding them to a more mature tank.
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
That is a great idea! I may have to get a longer piece of tubing and a clamp to hold the end in the sock.

I bought the 10' python extension for just that reason. Between it and the original 25' section I always have enough for every purpose (WC's, Vac, what-have -you.

On another note... What are your thoughts on the order to add fish? Would you add the Discus first and once they are settled and bacteria have caught up to the bioload add the dither fish? Or would you add dither fish first and Discus last? I think I am going to order 10-12 Discus from Discus Hans when the time comes.
I'M Going to recommend you find someone better versed with Discus on that one. I'm not your guy for that info. @Discusluv might chime in though

{new - in progress }
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have some Stendkers from Discus Hans myself, really nice quality. I recommend him highly.

As to dithers it depends on what size discus are buying. Anything under 4 inches I would not put any other fish in tank until get to 4 inches. Discus have very fragile immune systems as juveniles and cannot fight of bacteria from other fish that they would have no problem dealing with as sub-adults and adults.
That said, I would add your discus first, let them become acclimated to tank for a good month before adding other fish. Acclimating for a month --- I mean rebuilding their immune systems from the stress of being shipped to you and acclimated to your tank.
Cichlid-140 likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I have some Stendkers from Discus Hans myself, really nice quality. I recommend him highly.

As to dithers it depends on what size discus are buying. Anything under 4 inches I would not put any other fish in tank until get to 4 inches. Discus have very fragile immune systems as juveniles and cannot fight of bacteria from other fish that they would have no problem dealing with as sub-adults and adults.
That said, I would add your discus first, let them become acclimated to tank for a good month before adding other fish. Acclimating for a month --- I mean rebuilding their immune systems from the stress of being shipped to you and acclimated to your tank.
Thank you for that. I was planning on ordering 5"+ from Hans. He has a couple of packages that are "they pick" packages that I was considering. I kind of want a good variety of Discus, though might consider one variety if that is better for the fish.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Thank you for that. I was planning on ordering 5"+ from Hans. He has a couple of packages that are "they pick" packages that I was considering. I kind of want a good variety of Discus, though might consider one variety if that is better for the fish.
No, its not necessary to have one color when it comes to discus- but, if you have pairs group off its better to have a breeding pair that is one variety. Just a thought.

Wild-type stendkers are really popular right now and rare- the alenquers, santarum, or tefes.

But, those German Wonders are pretty fantastic.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

As for the clamp for the vacuum hose- Lowes has these.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-1-in-...amp/1000235641

{new - in progress }
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:51 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
As for the clamp for the vacuum hose- Lowes has these.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-1-in-...amp/1000235641

I have a set of clamps similar to these and they have come in very handy when doing water changes with the python.
Cichlid-140 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode