My 10 and 40B - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Not much to update. Took out a few rocks, planted some more trimmings and java fern shoots. CPDs are recovering from the sickness my tank had. Lost all but 2 of the embers and lost 2 of the CPDs (thought I had lost more but a couple came out of the forest). They are doing better but still moving odd compared to how they use to. Shrimp and catfish are doing great.

Im watching you .....

Feeding time

No shots of the 10g. Currently battling some algae outbreak among other things. Really would like to upgrade that tank. Bought a 20 long today for $20. Would like to have gotten a Landen but for $20 ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Couple of pics of both 40B and 10G. Not much new, everything seems to be doing decently well. Still some algae but not too bad considering low tech and not alot of time to mess with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Been a little bit since updating. Not too much to update. Plants are growing, shrimps are still breeding. Cory cats still lay alot of eggs but havnt scene a new one in a while, think since rearranging a few plants I lost a little hiding area where they could grow big enough to not get eaten.

Little false julii hanging out front

The ten gallon, pulled a piece of wood out of 40B. Need to replant the java fern and probably rearrange a few things. Swords are doing pretty good I think. The buce is growing pretty good as well IMHO.

5 min video of the critters, already fed them once but threw in carnivore pellet for the cats.

Oh and the oldest daughter got a venus fly trap setup for christmas (early) so we are starting that process.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not sure if I made a mistake or not but its done. Pulled all the java moss out of my 40B. Sure the shrimp population will take a nose dive (probably took out several with it) but it was getting so intertwined with all the java fern and was growing up the side of the glass and harboring a odd green hair type algae that I could get rid of everywhere else. I still have the big windelov java ferns so hopefully the shrimp babies will make it in there. Will see.

Thinking of slowly doing some more arranging later on.May try and get a good base to glue a bunch of the large java fern to in order to give it some height. It grows really well just its a shorter style. The anubias now has some room to breath lol, had to trim a few roots that were going bad but rhizomes were in good shape for most part.

Crummy picture and just did water change.

post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Finally got most of the rearranging of the 40b done for now. Found a large piece of mopani wood (lucked out and got it for $10) to go with the other small piece. Rinsed it off and soaked for a day, glued most of the large java ferns to it. The wood is still leaching tannins which is ok as far as I am concerned but it does mess with the camera big time. The Cory cats like it.

Also got a potted wendtii bronze which once I separated it out turned out to be about 6 or 7 individual plants. Hoping these only get to about 5-6" height but will deal with it if it decides to go nuts. Only been in there for about 4 days now.

Took out a bunch of stuff, did a little trimming and replanting and thinned things out a bit. Tried to glue the rest of the buce to the smaller wood, one (the larger one) came off so will try again later or just let it keep rooting into the sand. All the ones I pulled up had pretty extensive roots attaching to clumps of sand.

post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 11:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks really good! I love low tech tanks and contrary to what I often hear, in my experience, it takes a bit more skill and much more patience to keep them going compared to high tech systems.
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Amphiprion1. Patience is definitely the key with these guys (guess that goes for every planted tank). With the plants generally growing much slower it is a hurry up and wait not to mention working with finding the right plants that will do "well" low tech. Ive narrowed it down now to ones that seem to grow without issue with my dosing schedule/water parameters/and no CO2. The only plants I havent tested out in this tank are the crypts which I just planted. Interested to see how they do over the next couple of months.

post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not much going on, joys of low tech. Surprised the crypts didnt drop a bunch of leaves, they are growing new ones which are lighter and more green but the original darker leaves are still looking pretty good. From everything I read they would usually melt when being added to the tank (shrugs).

Added a few fresh leaves, this one didnt even have time to sink before a shrimp latched on.

post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My oldest daughter spotted this new addition to the group today....

post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Congrats that's a nice new addition.
Quint likes this.

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

-
-
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 03:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nice little one . What is that black rectangle to the left ?

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Leeatl that is just left over velcro tape from the light controller I had before I got the fluval 3.0, Probably should get it off of there. Tend not to notice it until trying to take pictures of over active baby corys lol.

post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 04:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Oh,ok . Looked like a small circuit board..lol

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So while watching the little guy eating with mom/dad/relative saw another one. They came in twos last time if I remember correctly. Didnt get pictures of the second one as it was up in the java forest and is a bit smaller so probably a good idea to not be around the dinner table lol. Wish the pics came out better but ahh well.

ererer and Streetwise like this.

post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 12:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

Sweet.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode