40B Sloooow Grow - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
40B Sloooow Grow

Tank: Aqueon 40 Breeder (thanks, Petco!)
Light: IKEA Tertial with LED bulb.
Filter: Fluval U2 Internal + Fluval U3 Internal (Used to be Aqueon QuietFlow E 40 Internal, which got itself canned for being the opposite of quiet)
Heater: Aqueon Pro 150w
Substrate: Caribsea Instant Aquarium, 40lb Peace River, 20lb Sunset Gold
Ferts: Nilocg Thrive C and Thrive Caps

I have kept aquariums on and off for a while, and most recently got the itch after about a 2 year hiatus. And I've always wanted a 40 breeder. I decided to go with low light, low tech for this tank because I've discovered in the past that the perpetual trimming lifestyle is not for me. It's a peninsula setup, because I have a small apartment and 18 inches of wall space is easier to find than 36.

The tank has been set up for about a week and a half, with setup happening slowly over that time. Many of the inhabitants have been with me for a couple months, in temporary tanks while I've been moving. Just finished getting everything in the tank today. Driftwood fungus is waning but still around and making a mess as the snails plow over it. Also dealing with some sediment-stuff from deep in the rock holes that's been getting everywhere.

Here's what you're here for:

Some closer shots:

Fauna:
20-25 subadult pseudomugil luminatus, "Red Neon" Blue-eye Rainbows
18 poecilia wingei, Endlers, male "silverado"
6 young tateurndina ocellicauda, Peacock Gudgeons
3 neritina natalensis, Zebra Nerites
? Red Ramshorn Snails
6-7 caridina multidentata, Amano Shrimp
1 atyopsis moluccensis, Bamboo Shrimp

Flora:
Java Fern Narrow
Bolbitis Heteroclita (frozen in transit but recovering)
Mini Bolbitis
Bucephalandra Catherinae
Bucephalandra unlabeled from Petco (melted but the rhizome is still good, so doing the wait and see)
Anubias Barteri
Anubias unlabeled from Petco (tissue cuture; neither growing nor suffering)
Cryptocoryne Pontederiifolia
Cryptocoryne Lucens
Cryptocoryne unlabeled from Petco
Echinodorus Horemanii Red - melted
Echinodorus Hadi Red Pearl
Lagenandra Meeboldii 'Red'
Hydrocotyle Sibthorpioides
Salvinia Cucullata
ipkiss and Thelongsnail like this.

Last edited by celadon; 05-19-2019 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Updating stock lists
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A couple daytime shots of the whole setup.

Thelongsnail likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Nice tank! Subscribed!
celadon likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:36 PM
Algae Grower

I love where you've got it set up! That makes for much comfier sitting and watching fish than a lot of set ups I've had.
celadon likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I added some Amano shrimp a while back and didn't really ever see them again so I thought I had made some kind of stupid mistake when acclimating them or something, but I have caught a glimpse of 1 or 2 of them a couple times in the last week or two. So that's exciting! I do like to watch shrimp live their shrimpy lives.

The Aqueon QuietFlow filter is still the least quiet filter I can remember having, and I do really like the Fluval U2 I have in there with it, so I ordered a U3 to replace the Aqueon. It should be here tomorrow. I tried sending a message to Aqueon customer service about the noise, but no response. So it goes.

I also got one of the fancypants Kasa smart power strips. It's been AMAZING for turning off the filters for feeding time. Previously, I was crawling around plugging and unplugging at awkward angles.

Planning on adding some male endlers and some ramshorns to the tank soon.

On to the pics!

Full tank shots. The short end view is my favorite, though it's the one I see the least.

Lagenandra Meeboldii 'Red' has been taking off. It seems very happy with life, and is a lovely bright green. If it shows any red in the future, that'll just be a bonus.

Anubias Barteri have been putting out new leaves at a rate of maybe one a week, which is downright speedy by my reckoning. Also pictured, Buce Catherine which is the happiest Buce I've ever had.

Another patch of Anubias Barteri with the undifferentiated crypt from Petco. This crypt is getting suuuuuper bushy. I think it's a Beckettii. Some of the larger leaves have a bit of bronze on them.

Echinodorus Hadi Red Pearl is pretty happy with life too, though so far content to stay tissue-culture sized. Still, it's always got a new leaf under production.

I think this is my favorite plant right now, Cryptocoryne Pontederiifolia. I'm just a fan of the leaf shape and colors it has at the moment.

The Echinodorus Horemanii Red has been mostly melting since I added it to the tank. The stems and roots are still strong, though it's prone to floating off. I did see a new leaf this week though, so there's hope. The Crypt Lucens also melted back significantly, but there is at least one solid leaf left for each planting so I am hoping for a nice rebound at some point. My tiny petco tissue culture anubias and bucephalandra haven't shown any change.

Fish pics! <3 my herd of blue-eyes. They are so fun when they flare at each other, but that's very hard to get on camera.

The gudgeons are starting to grow noticeably bigger than the rainbows and get some nice colors going.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I noticed a few instances of fish rubbing themselves on the decor over the last couple days and also a few bouts of glass surfing. I couldn't find Prazipro locally so we're doing a course of API General Cure, starting today. Hopefully that will put a stop to that. Fish generally seem to be in pretty good shape otherwise, eating and socializing in typical fish ways.

The Fluval U3 filter arrived yesterday. It's so very much quieter than the Aqueon one was. As a bonus, it takes up less space and uses fewer watts!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I had the lid off this evening and was enjoying the view from that angle. Thought I'd share with whoever cares to take a look.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:31 AM
Planted Member

Really nice looking setup IMHO. Will look even better when some of it gorws in more.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Really nice looking setup IMHO. Will look even better when some of it gorws in more.
Thanks! I am looking forward to seeing it more grown in as well, but that'll be a minute with this tank.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My echinodorus horemanii red did not enjoy being in this tank, so I removed it from its section and spread out the cryptocoryne pontederiifolia, which is very happy:

There was one of the echinodorus that wasn't totally dead yet, so I moved it to the front in similar lighting conditions, to keep an eye on it. The leaves have all disappeared since but the roots are still in there presumably so we'll see what happens there. I also spread out my java fern a bit, which gives a more full look I think. The java fern leaves are making a whole ton of tiny ferns right now.

Most of the short side view plants are doing splendidly, except for the things I have attached to small rocks up there which have done absolutely nothing since I set up the tank. They aren't dying, though, so I haven't been able to bring myself to get rid of them. At the top of this shot, you can also see a bit of my hydrocotyle, which has been slowly shrinking. I think the flow has been too much for it.

I also moved a few things around on the right side of the tank. I placed the bolbitis heteroclita closer to the light to see if it likes that better. It has been doing not a whole lot of anything so far. I also moved my buce catherinae a bit to fill in the hole left by relocating the bolbitis.

Closeup of the catherinae which is pretty happy:

I added some endlers since my last update. They're very hard to get a decent photo of.

It's also super hard to get a good picture of my blue-eye rainbows. They're so pretty, and so hard to capture. These are the best I could get this time.

And one of a peacock gudgeon. I am beginning to think I might have all females. They all have at least some black on their dorsal/anal fins.

When I was trying to take pictures of the fish, the shrimp kept getting in the way and basically posing, so here's a couple of them too:

For some reason, my nerites seem to have decided early on that the best place for their white eggs is the darkest thing in the whole tank. Because of course it is.
Thelongsnail likes this.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great layout, love it. I know what you mean on clatter noise coming from those cheap aqueon internals. I use to use Hagen aquaclear power heads with their quick filter modules on them, dead quiet. It was easy to roll up your own filter pads around core.

I use to have a 60breeder with few neon and inornata rainbows and pair of purple stripe gudgeon and few simple plants. It was easily my fav tank of all.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Great layout, love it. I know what you mean on clatter noise coming from those cheap aqueon internals. I use to use Hagen aquaclear power heads with their quick filter modules on them, dead quiet. It was easy to roll up your own filter pads around core.

I use to have a 60breeder with few neon and inornata rainbows and pair of purple stripe gudgeon and few simple plants. It was easily my fav tank of all.
Thanks! Sounds like you have good taste in aquarium things.

I have found that for me, the tanks that can be approximately 90% watching the fish and observing plant growth and 10% actually messing around with the plants are the most enjoyable.
DaveKS likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I like this a lot. Simple but beautiful. Why can't I ever come up with beautiful scapes like this with dragon stone?
celadon likes this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Is that a mesh top on your tank?

Looks like you should have bought one of these instead of a 2nd fluval. Surface scum really hurts your gas exchange. Itís one of the faults I found with internals. Hob types will pull scum down into water where filter pads will pick it up. Canisters are easy to hook a skimmer up to. But these days there are a lot internals that have skimmers built in.

Magnetic mount on this one is sweet.
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/fl...CABEgL8ufD_BwE
celadon likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Subscribed for the sheer audacity of a desk lamp as primary lighting. Not so common in 2019.

And oh yea. For the artistic beauty and vision of the tank too!

And for the rainbows. Love the blue eye rainbows. Light (or lack thereof) is the enemy of photo taking. Especially for moving things. Might have better luck when it hovers closer to the area under the lamp or in the daytime or whenever you can maximize lighting. Not too bad a shot already though. Also, a video, may be a better means of capturing the flaring fun.
celadon likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode