40B Sloooow Grow - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwarsfan View Post
I like this a lot. Simple but beautiful. Why can't I ever come up with beautiful scapes like this with dragon stone?
Thank you for the kind words! I think I got lucky and managed to place them in a relatively nice arrangement with only a few tries. Sometimes it takes much longer than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Is that a mesh top on your tank?

Looks like you should have bought one of these instead of a 2nd fluval. Surface scum really hurts your gas exchange. Itís one of the faults I found with internals. Hob types will pull scum down into water where filter pads will pick it up. Canisters are easy to hook a skimmer up to. But these days there are a lot internals that have skimmers built in.

Magnetic mount on this one is sweet.
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/fl...CABEgL8ufD_BwE
The top is a diy window screen cover. You know, because maybe I need to tone down all that light a little bit. I have some more open mesh that I could sub in to let in more light at the expense of possibly letting through a small rainbow with good aim, because I was kind of worried about the light getting through. But, so far so good for the majority of my plants.

I did have some surface scum at the beginning, but it went away about the same time as most of the driftwood fuzz did. That was actually the reason I bought the Aqueon filter in the first place, because it behaves kind of like a HOB. But in the end it wasn't worth it. The Fluval filters are nice in that they have a ton of options for outflow, so I can make a lot of surface agitation if I need to. That is a really neat skimmer you linked to! Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
Subscribed for the sheer audacity of a desk lamp as primary lighting. Not so common in 2019.

And oh yea. For the artistic beauty and vision of the tank too!

And for the rainbows. Love the blue eye rainbows. Light (or lack thereof) is the enemy of photo taking. Especially for moving things. Might have better luck when it hovers closer to the area under the lamp or in the daytime or whenever you can maximize lighting. Not too bad a shot already though. Also, a video, may be a better means of capturing the flaring fun.
Thank you for the encouragement! One of the appeals of planted tanks for me is the try-it-and-see experimentation that's all over the hobby, but the other end of the spectrum from most folks is the sweet spot for me. At the beginning of my planted tank career, I had plants in super low light situations kind of on accident. I want to see how this goes when I do it on purpose with the knowledge I have gained so far.

The low light does make the photography extra hard. It doesn't help that I tend to take pictures after the sun has done down and with my phone camera. I appreciate the tips for getting better shots. The video idea is a good one, but the rainbows flare at each other the most when they think I'm not looking. When I am looking, they expect food. Fish can be frustratingly clever sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
No I was just wondering what it was. Couldnít really tell from angle.

And I love the spotlighted/highlighted effect that fades out into darker end of tank.
celadon likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode