• 2 Post By Sub-Mariner
  • 1 Post By iamaloner
  • 1 Post By Sub-Mariner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
50 Gallon Zoomed Lowboy

Hello everyone! Today I am happy to announce that I will be beginning a tank build using the 50 Gallon Zoomed Lowboy!

I discovered this tank on youtube and thought that with its unique footprint, it would be an interesting project. Unfortunately, it took me almost 6 months to find one. I could not find a vendor willing to ship one to me for a reasonable price. Ultimately, I discovered one at Dallas North Aquarium, a shop about 30 miles from my home. I think its also worth noting that I can't find more than one or two records of people using one with freshwater rather than corals, as it was originally intended.

Because of Nurse Practitioner school and other responsibilities, its been sitting in my closet untouched for several weeks (burning a hole in my mind). However, I recently experienced a back injury so I'm currently on hiatus. During my recovery, and with the help of some friends, I'm planning on getting this thing up and running.

So without further ado, the plan:

I think I would like to try my hand at keeping some higher-end shrimp. I'll likely start with CRS, and if successful move on to some other Caridina species. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

As far as equipment goes, these are my thoughts-

I'm going to build a stand myself. I've researched quite a bit and the only pre-fabricated ones I can find with the proper dimensions are cost prohibitive. Rod-Iron stands are less expensive but I want to enclose all of the equipment to keep a clean look.

I have an Eheim 2217 that I can use for filtration. I also have lily pipes, but I think I'd rather go with a pre-filter sponge and a spray bar to keep flow down for the shrimp. I'll probably purchase the black Eheim ones from an online source. I'll also use a Hydor in-line heater that I already have.

I also have a 36" Current USA Freshwater LED+, but I'm not sure about the length. If I purchase one of the brackets they make for these, I'm not sure if the elevation will allow enough light spread. If not, I'll buy the 48" and another bracket.

Finally, I will be purchasing about 50 lbs of Fluval Stratum and the appropriate mineralizer for shrimp. Beyond that, I haven't decided on hardscape. I've got a lot of real estate but not much elevation. I am intrigued by the terraced rice field look one would find in the fields of Japan.

Finally, I don't want to go with CO2 because I don't want to risk gassing my shrimp by mistake. Furthermore, with such a large surface area, I think I might have a hard time with just losing it to the atmosphere. Maybe I'm wrong.

That's all I've got for now. A friend is planning on helping me with the stand this weekend, since I can't currently bend or lift a lot of weight. Stay tuned! Photographs to follow.
Rogue 1 and tredford like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:01 PM
Algae Grower

Pics or it didnt happen

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Ventchur likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, pics include the new tank still in the box, a 22g rimless that I will be taking down to use parts for this project, and a pic of my 150g just for fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8249DCA4-1281-4595-A845-C1456B54515C_1553788271221.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	879593  

Name:	4498CC09-32F2-42F0-A708-E91EED00D1CE_1553788281934.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	879595  

Name:	2F253870-9CC7-4829-85FD-45E2A1448BD2_1553788293651.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	879597  

tredford likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I didn't get the stand built over the weekend, but a woodworking friend of mine did put a print together and is going to get the materials cut this week. Minor delay but no big deal.

I've been thinking a lot about the scape and I'm thinking I'll do a rock fence type design as in the second picture above, but with a terrace element. I'm thinking two walls for a total of 3 planting layers, not sure what the tank depth will allow yet. I'll have to buy plenty more of those rocks, and this will obviously add to the substrate budget. But, if I have more substrate, I'm guessing that the buffering capacity will last longer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I purchased some 1/2' and 5/8" tubing for the Eheim 2217, long with a new spray bar and intake with pre filter. Going to pick up some PVC, couplings, and elbows for the plumbing as well. I want it to be solid in as many places as possible to prevent kinks.

Please share your thoughts!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:13 PM
Algae Grower

I'm really interested in this journal. I have a few questions, if you don't mind. That tank has an awful lot of surface area, are you going to put a glass cover on it or just deal with the evaporation? If you cover it, then you won't be able to have any driftwood rising above the water line (on the other hand, cover it and you can turn it into a coffee table and put it in the center of the room! OK, maybe not.).

It also has only ten inches of vertical space, so assuming some of that is taken up by the substrate, how high will each of the three levels be? I see that you are thinking about this also. I like the rock fence look, but ten inches is not a lot of room to work with and still have room for hardscape and plants.

How high will you build your stand? Because this tank is so shallow, will you go higher than 30 inches? I think looking into it at level will be cool, but looking down on a hundred shrimp crawling around in a four foot by two foot pool of water will really be something. That's the size of a small desk.

I said I had a few questions, so I'll stop here.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:58 PM
Algae Grower

You should send us an update

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode