Jared's 29 gal jungle - The Planted Tank Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Jared's 29 gal jungle

I have just swapped a 10 for a 29. Its not so much a jungle yet, as it is a trimmed yard. All the plants were in my 10, after some pruning and culling to get rid of algae-ridden leaves. My lights are coming tomorrow, in the meantime I'm using my garden seedling T5 HO. Heater is coming in 2 days, the old one I had seems to be doing well.
Time will tell how the plants adapt to sand coming from 10 year old fluorite. Plants grew like a weed.

I will post the newest FTS in this first post whenever updates occur.

My wishlist for this tank:
DIY hood, planning in progress
MTS
Tall flowing plant to go in right corner and flow along the surface above foreground
Corkscrew val or something similar?
Floater of some kind
Smooth flat river stone as a natural separation between fore/background
a school of Corydoras
group of small colorful fish (future)
marbled hatchetfish (future)

Most up to date specs:
NICREW 30-36" plus LED 9hrs/day on a sunrise/sunset nicrew timer
Marineland Magniflow 220 canister with sponge pre-filter
Jager 100w heater
Caribsea supernaturals sand
Diy CO2 (vinegar/baking soda) with nano diffuser
Dosing: KH2PO4 KNO3 CSM+B 3x/week mixed in solution still a work in progress
Osmocote+ individual grains

Flora (17):

Stuarogyne repens
Echinodorus tenellus
Ludwigia repens x arcuata
Ludwigia sp. red
Rotala rotundifolia
Bacopa caroliniana
Hygrophila corymbosa compact
Vallisneria asiatica
Leopard val
Crypt retrospiralis
Süßwassertang
Anubias barteri 'Nana'
Java Fern
Marimo moss balls
Frogbit
Salvinia minima
unknown moss

Fauna:
Honey Gourami
4 Otocinclus
True SAE
7 Panda Cory
2 Celestial pearl danio (adoption)
C. trilineatus (adoption)
2 Longfin Danio
6 Zebra Danio (4 raised from eggs)
Nerite snail
Malaysian trumpet snails

10 gal day of retirement

Day 1 FTS

Newest FTS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by frogmanjared; 05-17-2019 at 01:28 AM. Reason: New FTS, fauna update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

new lights came!

Here's a picture with the new LED lights. I'm still trash at tank photography, the foreground is difficult to make out on the bright sand, but at least this is closer to in person color.
IMG_2366

Also cut some acrylic for a top. I struggled with scoring using a utility knife because of my hands. Just used a power had saw with a regular wood blade and was happy with the results! Could have been straighter, but it fits! I cut the two front corners slightly for some easy feeding access.
IMG_2368

I also ordered a few plants, they'll be here next week. I can knock a few things off my tank wishlist!
Leopard val
Crypt retrospiralis
Stuarogyne repens
Ludwigia sp. red
Discusluv and tredford like this.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Great job on the DIY lid

I really like the white sand, looks so much better than the dark substrate.
frogmanjared likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Knocked some more wishlist items off! I'm getting some (hopefully MTS) burrowing trumpet snails from my father-in-law in a couple days. Ordered some Corydoras sterbai. Stopped by Lowes to get some river stone, scrubbed it to death and boiled it to get rid of the waxy shine.
Side view:

FTS: I'm pleased by the growth of the Bacopa and other plants. Seems to be the same rate as my 10 gal. I am going to use root tabs in the form of osmocote+. I'll be planting individual granules instead of gelatin pills. Very small amounts as a test first.

Honey Gourami close-up. Best shot I can get, he doesn't like to display for me out in the open in full lighting for pictures. He gets a blackish chin everyday. He also likes to nibble on the spinach and have some giant green poos!

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:58 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
That's a great photo of the gourami, I think!
frogmanjared likes this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Mts!

Got about eight or ten MTS today! I think I'm getting paranoid about waiting for my corys coming into petco. They get deliveries Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. I've been obsessive about checking my email since I have these two days off. I'm worried they won't call/email and release them into the tank because I didn't come in and get them... or I wrote down my email/phone wrong so I'll just miss out! So anxious to get them without being in petco water. At least I can look forward to getting plants on Thursday, and floaters on Friday! Here's a shot of one MTS that didn't instantly burrow after being added to the tank.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Plants came today!

Plants that came today, Leopard val, Crypt retrospiralis, Stuarogyne repens, Ludwigia sp. red. I managed to get a great photo of the Bristlenose as he/she was busy cleaning.

All the new plants, minus the leopard val which is in the front right corner.

Side view:

FTS:

Floaters should come on Friday, and who knows when the C. sterbai will be in, its really causing me stress (stupid, but I can't help it).
Discusluv and tredford like this.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Plants came early, again!

Loving this whole plants getting here in two days thing! It's nice when tracking suddenly says out for delivery a day early! Now for that speediness to help out with the Corydoras sterbai. Frogbit and Salvinia minima are in the tank now. I took some airline tubing, shoved a giant twisty tie in it and plugged the ends(need to find some silicone or something more permanent). To keep them from getting caught in the equipment cords and whatnot. I had to cut another notch for the input/outut in the opposite corner of the lid, it warps a bit, but flipping it every few days is working.

Where should I put S. repens cuttings? I really have no clue besides making the row thicker right now. The plan is to keep taking cuttings of the Ludwigia red and surround the C. retrospiralis and keep them lower and the retro for some color contrast. I can't wait for it to grow out and get tall! The next update will probably be when the starbai come in.

I love the sand so far. It keeps fresh cuttings rooted down better than the fluorite ever did, haven't had a floater yet!

AguaScape likes this.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:57 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Looking great! All you need is a little time and it will fill in nicely.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Called around and found True SAE at a Petsmart 25 miles away! Crossocheilus siamensis, was the listed species with common name of Siamese Flying Fox. Fairly confident it is a true SAE. No picture yet as I got it home after the lights were off.

Last edited by frogmanjared; 04-08-2019 at 08:39 PM. Reason: edit
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looking great! Looking forward to seeing your c. sterbei
frogmanjared likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

True SAE picture

Here's the little guy! Realized after I took the picture that all 3 of my algae crew where chilling together. I wonder if their conversation was like, "Hey, new guy, this wood has some killer algae on it eh?"

tredford and sittinglynx like this.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Looking great! Looking forward to seeing your c. sterbei
Thank you. I am too! It will be exciting to find out if they are tiny, larger juveniles, or adults. I would be okay with barely breeding size, but watching them grow up would be very cool as well. My plan is to breed them and set up my old 10 as a grow out tank. Since its going to be up and running I might as well have permanent inhabitants right? I was thinking shrimp. I've kept RCS before, but might want to try something new.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Adoptions from Petco

Went in for some supplies, but ended up also getting some fish out of the adoption tank.
2 celestial pearl danios I might have to attempt to breed these in the 10 if the sterbai are juveniles.

C. trilineatus with some cool pattens imo. I am slightly concerned that it may try to join in on the breeding, has anyone experienced these two species crossing? Again, I could move it to the 10 while breeding is occurring.
sittinglynx likes this.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hungry Hungry Pleco

I'm having a blast with this tank, sorry for the continuous stream of senseless photos! I put this spinach leaf in last night, and boy is that pleco going to town! It doesn't touch the pleco wafers I bought, but goes through a spinach leaf every/every other day. The honey gourami also snacks on it from time to time.
IMG_2455

I managed to hatch enough bbs in under 24 hours to attempt to feed the celestial pearl danios. The female was eating some, but the male was relaxing, hopefully he got enough zebra danio eggs this morning. They spawned in the Bacopa this morning for over an hour. The have adapted well and are getting more courageous, venturing out from the Bacopa from time to time.
Discusluv and sittinglynx like this.

Tags
29 gallon, diy co2, sand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode