Jared's 29 gal jungle - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Talking Corydoras madness

To make a long story short, Petco had a bad shipment of fish Friday, and my sterbai cories all died within a few hours. Went back today to find a ton of healthy pandas so I exchanged for them. Also found Hygrophila corymbosa compact. Commence pictures!

The honey gourami takes a few naps during the day. I still haven't gotten used to it and sometimes freak out that its dead. I guess having a bigger fish brain means naps? You can see the leopard val has sent out a runner, and the new growth has great mottling. I put either two or three spheres of osmocote+ next to it during planting, it must be doing its thing! I kept notes, just too lazy to look it up.

FTS I'm enjoying the way everything is growing! I've cut and replanted the tops of a few Ludwigia red. Its almost time to trim some of the S. repens. I took a chair to sit in front of the tank and just watch for 30 minutes the other day. Its so nice of an upgrade to my old 10 gallon!
celadon and AguaScape like this.

Last edited by frogmanjared; 04-14-2019 at 12:12 AM. Reason: added more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cool Surprise!

Found this little gal doing a water change today. I wonder how long its been in there?!?
sittinglynx likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's been a crazy week, building a stand and hood for the 10 gal shrimp tank. Weekly water change was today for the 29 and a major trim on the Bacopa. Also moved the Ludwigia sp red behind the C. retrospiralis. Trimmed the Rotala to encourage branching.

Got a picture of all the pandas together!

I'm going to be overrun with Leopard Val soon, already 3 shoots off the parent plant. This was right after maintenance. The Pandas are just like my cat, taking a dump right after I clean the substrate!

Shrimp pellet feeding time can get a little crazy. One went under a Marimo ball in the corner and a line formed!

FTS I'm very happy with my tank so far! Now for those pandas to mature and breed, or for my CPD female to get plump with eggs! The CPD pair is moved into the 10 to condition them and hopefully breed.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmanjared View Post
It's been a crazy week, building a stand and hood for the 10 gal shrimp tank. Weekly water change was today for the 29 and a major trim on the Bacopa. Also moved the Ludwigia sp red behind the C. retrospiralis. Trimmed the Rotala to encourage branching.

Got a picture of all the pandas together!

I'm going to be overrun with Leopard Val soon, already 3 shoots off the parent plant. This was right after maintenance. The Pandas are just like my cat, taking a dump right after I clean the substrate!

Shrimp pellet feeding time can get a little crazy. One went under a Marimo ball in the corner and a line formed!

FTS I'm very happy with my tank so far! Now for those pandas to mature and breed, or for my CPD female to get plump with eggs! The CPD pair is moved into the 10 to condition them and hopefully breed.

Looking good. Those pandas are adorable. And that pleco really went to town on the spinach leaf.
frogmanjared likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Spent 2 days away from home at the in-laws and figured I might as well do a blackout. Bad idea! The floaters didn't like it one bit, so many yellow leaves and shed roots! I lost about 20% of them, but they needed a thin anyways I guess.

I did a water change, moved around the background a little and planted a tiny corkscrew val. There was a tiny uprooted one in my wife's dad's tank so I took it home! Next week I'll update with a picture, see how things have changed. My goal was to have as many types of plants as possible, and I've easily succeeded what I thought I could fit! I do have bucephalandra and downoi on my radar, but it might be some time before I get them.

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Been a few weeks since pics, I've done some moving of plants around and had some good growth. I got a light timer so I can turn on the co2 before work and let the lights do their thing so my wife doesn't have to take care of it. Took out a chunk of the E. tenellus and split up 2 of the largest S. repens. I can't wait for a larger patch of it!

Any tips on the H. corymbosa compact? Should I cut and replant tops or is it growing ok? I took out most of the floaters, they had nearly the entire tank covered, maybe that has made it stretch.

I've been aggrivated by the BN pleco. It's disturbing the substrate more than the corys are! I'm happy with the layout, now its just waiting until the background plants get taller so the Bacopa doesn't outgrow it like mad every week. Any tips/suggestions for plant placement, I'm always up for new ideas!

Phil Edwards and tredford like this.

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'd leave the H. corymbosa alone for as long as you can. It's a bit of a slow grower at times and appreciates being left alone as much as possible. When it finally comes time to trim it your best bet is to top and replant unless you have space to keep the rooted portions to grow more stems for future use.
frogmanjared likes this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So it turns out I need to keep up the spinach stocking in the aquarium for my hungry hungry pleco. I noticed a few H. corymbosa leaves with some nibbles!!!! So angry with this fish right now, digging up the edges and now eating my plants! Hopefully she (I think) tones it down a bit or I’ll have to re-home her. Repashy for pleco was on my wishlist but I might have to break down and get it sooner. I was thinking of coating chopsticks and using the veg clip to hold it.
Phil Edwards likes this.

Last edited by frogmanjared; 05-15-2019 at 04:04 AM. Reason: color
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

and it's gone!

So, after evaluating the situation further, I evicted the bristle nose pleco and got four otocinclus. the pleco would dig and literally sand blast the cories. I think that's why a few had what I thought was ich (it literally was sand) and had some fungal infections. It had started to eat the Hygrophila and Bacopa. Too bad, she was a very pretty fish. I swapped out the diffuser since the one in the tank was struggling to let the co2 out. I'll have to clean and switch them every month or so it seems. I'm happy with the growth. I'm done trimming the background plants (except bacopa) since they are branching and filling in nicely now. It seems like it taking forever to get tall, but I can see progress in weekly pics.

Tags
29 gallon, diy co2, sand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode