75 gallon Rescaped - work in progess 5/23 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
feh
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
75 gallon Rescaped - work in progess 5/23

I've been working on this tank since January. Received the rocks I ordered for it today and got them placed in the tank. The hardscaping is done aside from a lil monkeying around with the Eco-Complete. Next step is planting. I'm aware that Discus and black don't mix well due to peppering, but we'll get around that with no issues once its planted and the ground cover and background plants have had time to grow in.

In the mean time here are some pics of the tanks progress minus the pics of the plumbing.

Black glass painted and glass tops cut to fit plumbing for filters. Everything else will be out of site and plumbed inline.

This is a pic of the stand before any modifications were done.

This is a pic after the modifications. The only one you can see from the outside is the addition of the trim around the base of the tank. Under the tank I waterproofed it with polyurethane and clear caulk. Added a few 1x4s and stained them to mount hardware on. More pics of the hardware later once the tank is up and running.

This is the manzanita I picked up online. It took me a week to actually break down and get it. I really like this orientation. It holds a lot of potential for moss and plants.

In this pics I've got the Eco-Complete and sand in the tank after rinsing, but still have them divided with a piece of plastic until I got the rocks.

This is what the hardscaping looks like as of tonight.

Another view of the hardscape from an angel.

Updates coming soon...

Last edited by feh; 05-24-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Nice hardscape... Looking forward to seeing the next steps and overall finished product.

"Those dancing were thought to be crazy by those who could not hear the music."
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Like the driftwood, fits the tank very well!

What type of discus and how many are you going to get. Also what other tank mates are you thinking of getting?

Efhipimp #456, 2026 & 2071

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(tore down)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
feh
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Like the driftwood, fits the tank very well!

What type of discus and how many are you going to get. Also what other tank mates are you thinking of getting?
Not sure on which discus yet. I'm think about 5 discus max. I kind of like the Tefe discus but will have to see whats locally avail before I really start making decisions on the discus. They will be the last addition. I plant to QT them for a while once I do acquire them. As for takmates rummynose tetras, bolivian rams or blue rams, and a few cory cats to help clean up after the discus.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
feh
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquahollics View Post
Nice hardscape... Looking forward to seeing the next steps and overall finished product.
Here's a better shot of the rock work.

post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by feh View Post
Not sure on which discus yet. I'm think about 5 discus max. I kind of like the Tefe discus but will have to see whats locally avail before I really start making decisions on the discus. They will be the last addition. I plant to QT them for a while once I do acquire them. As for takmates rummynose tetras, bolivian rams or blue rams, and a few cory cats to help clean up after the discus.

Tefe discus are one of my favorite. Like how they have that "wild" discus look.

I am re-doing my 55 gallon tank and will be getting rummynose tetras, more sterbai cory cats, and either Tefe or Alenquer discus.

Will be looking forward to see how your tank turns out once planted and fish are added.

Good luck!

(tore down)

post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
feh
Planted Member

Quote:
Tefe discus are one of my favorite. Like how they have that "wild" discus look.

I am re-doing my 55 gallon tank and will be getting rummynose tetras, more sterbai cory cats, and either Tefe or Alenquer discus.

Will be looking forward to see how your tank turns out once planted and fish are added.

Good luck!
I took a look at your tank. I was about to ask how you got the hair grass to grow with discus until I saw the post about turning the heat up.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I took a look at your tank. I was about to ask how you got the hair grass to grow with discus until I saw the post about turning the heat up.

It was something I didnt think about and wish I had done more research before choosing plants/discus.

You prob already have an idea of what plants you want. I would just make sure they can tolerate temps in the mid/upper 80's F.

(tore down)

post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
feh
Planted Member

Quote:
It was something I didnt think about and wish I had done more research before choosing plants/discus.

You prob already have an idea of what plants you want. I would just make sure they can tolerate temps in the mid/upper 80's F.
Yeah, a couple of the plants I'm not 100% on whether they will handle the temps, but here's my proposed list. There might be some changes now that I have the rocks in place.

crinum calamistratum
cryptocoryne balansae
echinodorus vesuvius
anubias barteri nana
anubias barteri nana 'petite'
microsorum pteropus
anubias barteri
vesicularia dubyana
staurogyne repens - not sure this one is gonna take the heat well
cryptocoryne wendtii
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Planted Member

You might have some serious algae problems with your tank right in front of that window.
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Algae Grower

If your concerned about peppering don't get pigeon bloods as they are prone for peppering. I've tried the repens in the discus tank and lasted a week. Crypts seem to do the best in my discus tank. For some odd reason so does water sprite. (tank temp 84)
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Looks great. I really like the driftwood!
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
feh
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishVixen View Post
If your concerned about peppering don't get pigeon bloods as they are prone for peppering. I've tried the repens in the discus tank and lasted a week. Crypts seem to do the best in my discus tank. For some odd reason so does water sprite. (tank temp 84)
I'm planning to keep my temp @ 82... but thanks for the info on the plant. I'll look into something else.
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
feh
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalyx View Post
You might have some serious algae problems with your tank right in front of that window.
I don't think it will be a big problem. just outside that window is a covered porch.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
I don't think it will be a big problem. just outside that window is a covered porch.
Your tank is still right in direct sunlight, and you live in Georgia? ;x Raging summers. Lol, good luck!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode