20 Gal Holding Tank (several pictures!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20 Gal Holding Tank (several pictures!)

Since I want to redo my big tank, I've decided to get my old 20 gal tank out of storage and use it as a holding tank, quarantine tank and whatever else I'll need during my project.

Stupidly I had to do this twice since I hadn't check if my old heating cable still worked - it didn't, and I had to take everything apart again and start over. So people, please check your appliances before you put them in your tank...

Anyway. I decided to do it better the second time round.

So first thing was to level the stand the aquarium is on. I hadn't done that in the first round, and the upper left corner was sagging compared to the upper right one - that looked awful with the water line all diagonal through the front glass...

I made sure it was level front to back, too.

Second, since I'm using a heating cable at the bottom of the tank, and since I don't want to rip it up every time I have to take a plant out of the tank, I decided to fix it on a piece of eggcrate that fits into the tank.
I sewed it on with some sort of buttonhole stitch and fishing line.

Here I've done about half the length - you can see how evenly it sits on the eggcrate when it's stitched on:

And here you can see a close-up of the stitches:

That took a long time, and my patience started to wear pretty thin - have you ever sewn something on with fishing line? It's hell!

Anyway, I got it done and placed it face down in my tank, so that the eggcrate would hold the heating cable in place. The added benefit of a heating cable is that it circulates the water through the substrate when it warms it up.

Then I put a rim of black gravel with a bit of river gravel mixed in around the tank, so that there wouldn't be any ugly substrate-gravel lines to be seen from outside the tank. (There is a piece of black foamboard taped against the back of the tank, so I didn't have to worry about that side).

Next, I filled the center with clay-based, unscented kitty litter. I know, I know - but I've had good results with it, so I'm sticking with it at the moment.

I filled in some water, compressed the kitty litter with my hand and leveled it out by comparing it with the water level. Then I filled in with some more of my gravel mixture and tadaa - ready to plant.

I ripped out some of the plants from my old tank and put in a tacky ceramic garden lantern that my kribensis loves (he lives in its roof). So my plants are 3 Echinodorus bleheri (I think), and a dozen cuttings from my Ludwigia repens (I guess). I put them in a bit diagonally with some tweezers, then held them in place with small dark river rocks from my garden path. That helps avoiding them getting loose and start floating around the tank when I fill in the water. As soon as the cuttings are rooted, I'll take the small rocks out.

Now the only thing I still had to do was to fill the tank with water, attach my two filters (a biowheel and an aquaclear), put up the canopy and turn on the lights (two 18" T8 bulbs). This is how the tank looked immediately after filling:

I still have to clean the tank glass better, and take a picture during the evening, when you won't have the reflection of my orchid stand on the tank. The cleaning crew came with the plants: they're small ramshorn snails, and I've put in one of my two kribensis and one very old rainbow fish. The biowheel has been prepared by running it on my big tank for two weeks, so this tank should be all cycled and ready.

I hope you had some fun reading this, and I sure had fun making this tank journal...

Nature and Beauty Lover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
Heated cable idea is very cool (or hot, as the case may be).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Algae Grower

I love kitty litter and top soil mix for tannins for the discus and angel tanks. Plants thrive in this stuff. (I'm your avid DIY'er. LOL)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
I have 30 pounds of Hartz pH5 in my 75G Iwagumi, capped with pool filter sand. Plants root in it very easy.

I love the look of your substrate (but I'd put drift or bog wood in place of the ceramic pagoda, regardless of your krib's desires)!

I have the same thermometer, but I put it on the side, out of my main view. Baby's tears would be incredible in your foreground, against the dark substrate. Sweet tank...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everybody - that's so kind.
Well, I do want to do more of this tank when I've finished using it as a holding tank for my big one that'll go hightech as soon as the guy comes to replace my (censured) broken RO membrane... And I totally agree about driftwood replacing the pagoda. But since my kribensis will probably sue me, I might just wait until he dies.

And the thermometer is just there because I'm still a little freaked out about the first heating cable not working. I go check the temperature at least three times a day...

P.S. I honestly loved kribensis until I got some. Sure, for a while it was nice to see the male dancing around the female, and it was sure fun to see them raising young. I ended up with a tank full of young, though. So I gave them away, and the breeding pair too (or the female died, I don't remember) and just kept the two nicest looking ones. Ha! Big mistake! I never see these fish. They are either terrorizing each other when I might see a tail zip through the tank, or they are hiding in the plants completely terrorized. I don't even know how they get enough food, since they don't appear even at feeding times. But they must get fed somehow, since they're about 5 years old now...

Nature and Beauty Lover

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode