Dan's 29 Gallon Re-Scape - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Plant Lover

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dan's 29 Gallon Re-Scape

Not sure if this belongs here, because it is not a true tank journal from inception.

My 29 gallon has been going for years, and sits on a stand above a 20 gallon long. It had become less diverse in terms of plant species the last couple of years, mostly just Anubias, Crypts, and Rotala.

Recently I had chose to replace the light fixtures. I had been using retrofit CFL's with ballasts that each weight about 15 pounds, were the size of two bricks end to end, that I'd wired up 20 years ago. One ballast had died, and when one of the bulbs had died again, I found it nearly impossible to find a replacement bulb with correct pin configuration. So I bit the bullet and bought LED fixtures at last for both tanks.

This got me into adding new plants to the top tank, and some new fish, and got me back to these forums after a few years away. There is nothing quite like having a lush aquatic garden in ones bedroom when the temperature is sub-zero and there are feet of snow outside. Today we had a heavy, wet 8 inches of snow at my house. Spring has finally come, sugaring season is on (below freezing temps at night, and above freezing during the day, which means the sap is running and we should see plumes of smoke and steam rising from the sugar shacks on the neighboring farms soon), but I still have a couple of feet of snow in front of my house.

We plan to do some new work on the house, and then I hope to set up a grand (perhaps rimless) tank. I will do a real journal from inception at that point. But for now just this.

Tank size: 29 gallons,
Eheim Classic 2215 canister filter,
Substrate: likely Fluorite or the like. Substrate fertilizer tabs were added at initial set up, and during the recent planting as well as other times over the years.
CO2 dosing: ~ 2 bubbles/ second via CO2 regulator solenoid controlled by a Milwaukee controller. pH maintained at 6.6
Ferts: I simply dose Seachem Flourish, Excel, and O2 fertilizers weekly after water changes and the latter two a couple of times during the week (I am a bit more of judging by feel and appearance of things, than micro measurements kind of guy).
Light is two Current USA Plus Pro fixture on ~11 hours / day (not at100%).

Above is the tank before culling and replanting:

Below is the tank some weeks after culling and replanting. Plants have grown in well, though I have moved some things around a bit, even yesterday. I will continue to "shape" things as they grow. Clearly we need a bigger tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4698 (2).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	524.6 KB
ID:	879431  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4927 copy copy.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	469.6 KB
ID:	879437  

Last edited by dang; 03-23-2019 at 03:08 AM. Reason: corrected photo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode