First timers 55 gallon (not 56k safe) updated 3-27-05 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
First timers 55 gallon (not 56k safe) updated 3-27-05

Well figured that I should go ahead and create one of these threads so at the very least I would have any easy point of reference to track my plant growth and the evolution of my tank. As stated, this is my first planted tank that has been up and running for about a month. In that time I have changed much and few of my original plants remain. Right now I have a lot of fast growing stem plants in there for algea controll, I may change them in the furture.

This was once a cichlid tank, and I decided to go tropical and had a very nice driftwood formation in the middle with rocks on both ends, but I decided to go with a planted and changed everything around. I added flourite 2 times, and eventually pulled out most of the driftwood and mostly all of the rocks and enventually created the semi-tiered look that I have now. I have been reading and researching a lot since I started this endevour and I think that my wife thinks that I have gone mad.

Anyway, plants are a bit rough and the water is recovering from an green water outbreak (on its own, btw).

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Creedog/IMG_0696.jpg
(copy and paste)

Hopefully you can see where I am trying to go in the pic above, I used0 the two pieces of horizontal driftwood to help create the illusion of depth in the narrow 55 gallon by creating tiered areas behind them. I am using teh tall dirftwook as my center piece and to the right of it I am hoping to have a open area.

More pics

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Creedog/IMG_0693.jpg
(copy and paste)

The pic above is a close up of the driftwood on the right

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Creedog/IMG_0698.jpg
(copy and paste)

The one above is a closeup of the middle of the tank compete with algae and a nasty looking fern. (i have 2, these are the original plants and have been through hell, considering neither have a rizhome they are not doing to bad.)

Please let me know what you think and give me your ideas and sugguestions. Again this is my first attempt at this and I may not be going about this correctly

Last edited by Creedog; 03-27-2005 at 11:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Ok, that did not work so here are the links. Looks like you will have to copy them into a browser window. Some reason my pic hosting site is not liked around here.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Creedog/IMG_0696.jpg

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Creedog/IMG_0693.jpg

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Creedog/IMG_0698.jpg

There are in the correct order. BTW if you look to the left of the Red Ludwigia you will see my first new growth. Its behind that wierd grass thing that I do not think is a true aquatic.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 04:05 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm still getting the pics denied message of doom.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Did you try copying the link into the another browser window? If anyone knows a better way to do this please let me know.

I have fixed the original post to include links and indicated that they mut be copied and pasted. Wierd that this happens. I know that the forum indicated that you must be a member to post pics but I figured that it meant uploaded to this site, not just post in general

Last edited by Creedog; 01-03-2005 at 09:15 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Depends on the host. Certain ones will not allow direct linking. For hosting, I've been using both this site and photobucket.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Does copy and paste work for you (or anyone)?

Curious to get some feedback on a my first layout.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
yep, it works. Love the driftwood! maybe you could move the java fern to the left driftwood, plant it on the top where that green stripe in the background is. (in pic. 696)
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 10:44 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
C/P works but its a PIA to do...
If you need a place to host your photos Im sure Kyle ( Our Gratious Host ) would be more then happy to accomodate you. Info can be found above.

Now for the tank... looks like a good start. I gotta tell ya , that is one crazy looking piece of wood you got on the right, I like it. Not so sure about the piece standing up, looks like mine did...just somehow outta place.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Buck, I need to go ahead and join the forums at this point so I can post pictures.

Yes, The wood on the right is crazy, it goes all the way to the back of the tank and as a big knot hole in the top. My pleco lives in there (I think, have not seen him in a while). I really love the piece on the left as it gives me some height to the tank. Hoping that plants will grow in around it and make it look more natural.

I have an even crazier piece in my basement btw.

So far these are my inhabitants:
12 neons
4 zebra danios
2 clown loaches
2 ottos
4 sliver dollar looking tetras
3 amano shrimp
1 pleco
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Ok, one of the ottos died so I decided to go get a few more (6 I think). I got rid of the pleco, which turned out to be an upside down catfish (a really big one). I also got ride of the 4 black widow tetras, and got a few amano shrimp (although the true number of shrimp that are in the tank is in question.

I moved things around quite a bit and will post pictures soon.

Oh, I have also started using flourish and dosing K with nusalt.

Here are my parameters at the moment.

no3 20ppm
no2 0ppm
gh 120
kh 80ppm
ph 7.2
PO4 .25ppm
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I joined photobucket.

I got rid of the tall piece of driftwood and am using the wierd one as one of my focal points. I would not mind replacing this one as well with another more dramatic piece. Really just need to let things grow and see how we stand

Last edited by Creedog; 02-13-2005 at 09:07 PM.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

I've changed a lot in this tank since I last posted pics. For now I am calling this my jungle tank. I moved the dirft wood around a good deal, and swapped a few pieces out. This tank really seems to be pretty balanced as there is hardly any algea growth (except for some brown strands).

Again this is a 55g with 2 15 watt power glow, and a 130watt 6500k pc coralife fixture. Running 2 2l of diy co2.

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
I am glad you fixed the links. Thank You!
Nice tank.. 5 starz

Craig

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words. Took the longest time for the growth to really kick in. Nitrates have bottomed out for the first time, will get myself some stump remover or flourish nitrogen tommorrow. Will need to place a greg watson order before two long.

Will post another pic soon.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Totally rearanged the tank and found a piece of driftwood that I like. I think that this layout is much more natural. Looks much better IMHO. Picked up some star grass (on left) which I am hoping will take off. Really loving the rotalla, think I will trim it soon and let the clippings take off and replace much of the red lugwigia which gets very leggy and messy as it grows.

Also really loving the witeria. hope it grows quick or I run into more

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode