• 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By ipkiss
  • 1 Post By FIUPanther305

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
FIUPanther's: 125 Gallon Journal

I'll use this thread to keep track of my tank's progress. I originally was going to post a question in the the plant subsection but I figured I should just keep a journal of how the tank goes.

The specifics are as follows:

125 Gallons
1 BeamsWork DA FSPEC
1 Beams Work EA
GLA C02 Diffuser /w 90mm Atomizer
1 Koralia Nano 565 above the C02 Diffuser
2 Aquaclear 500
1 Sponge Filter

I keep the lights on 3p-10p and the C02 from 12p-9p.

The substrate is pool filter sand with some Easy Green root tabs near major root feeders.

I dose with Easy Green, 8 pumps the day after the water change and 4 pumps every day after until the next water change (once a week 40-50%).

I have a few plants that are showing some serious issues, I've attached the images below.

Reading a few posts it seems like it's a nutrient deficiency that may be resolved with Seachem Equilibrium. I have dosed 3 tablespoons of Equilibrium during my last water change this Saturday to hopefully correct this. I'm posting to make sure I'm on the right track.

Water Parameters

02/08/2019
PH: 6.6 (C02 Running for a few hours) (pH in tank before C02 turns on hovers around 7.4-7.6).
kH: 4
gH: 6

03/18/2019 (Two days after dosing equilibrium)
pH: 6.6 (C02 Running for a few hours)
kH: 4
gH: 9
Nitrate: 20-40

Greggz, ipkiss, Willcooper and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hi fellow panther! Here's some welcome for this tank!

Plants look pretty good to me, but then again, I'm not good and noticing these things. What plants in particular are you concerned about?

Kudos for being able to pull off what you're doing with two HOBs and just a diffuser! and then TWO beamsworks on top of that. If I tried what you're doing, I'd probably get an algae farm.

Trying equilibrium isn't a bad idea, but GH/KH of 6/4 isn't too bad already. I guess give it a couple weeks and Just remember @Seattle_Aquarist's words... watch for new growth to look better and ignore the old ones for now! I've tagged him, so hopefully it'll lure him in here to give a better look!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ipkiss; 03-20-2019 at 05:39 AM. Reason: added second and third and fourth paragraphs
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks ipkiss, Go Panthers, lol.

The plants I was concerned about is the Hydro, Ludwiggia, and Reineckii.

Their leaves have some serious curling, I'm hoping the Equilibrium can address that.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks like a lot more going right than wrong.

Nice looking tank you have there.

Looking forward to seeing where things go for you.....Subscribed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi @FIUPanther305

I agree with @ipkiss that it appears that Seachem Equilibrium is indicated to resolve your issues. Why? At first, when looking at the video I noticed the Cryptocorynes with the curled down leaf margins which would indicate that only magnesium might be necessary. (BTW are those leaves on the right really 'purple' or was that just shadow?)

However, as we went further into the video I notice this, the hooked downward leaf tip on the Ludwigia

Moving into the last part of the video I saw this; new leaves failing to form properly

Also near the end of the video was the shot of the Hygrophila with new leaves looking like they are not unfolding properly.

Based upon the last three observations, I agree @FIUPanther305 with your diagnosis, Equilibrium seems to be the best way to proceed. Your dosing is correct, 3 tablesoons should increase the hardness in your tank (estimate 100 gal. H2O volume) by about 3.0 dGH. Do this for a couple of weeks, as @ipkiss stated watch the new leaves as they emerge (existing leaves will not improve). Don't forget to add 1 teaspoon of Equilibrium per 10 gallons of new water added when you do your water changes. Please post pictures and commentary as things progress! Good job on the diagnosis!! -Roy

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the responses, and thanks @Seattle_Aquarist. The reason I thought about the Equilibrium is because of all the advice I've read from you previously.

Regarding the purple crypt, it's more of a brownish-green but I can see how it can look purple. That crypt is growing like crazy, but the edges of the leaves are very jagged.

A few questions:

I'll keep dosing Equilibrium at 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons of water replaced every week and observe. Do you see any need to also add epsom salt?

My Easy Green is running out soon and I have the EI dry fertilizers from GLA. EI seems to be for high light tanks, (I estimate I may have low-medium light) would I be ok dosing for the 40-60 gallon range? What is the opinion on using a product like Easy Green am I better off going with EI?

Is there a good website or thread for me to read so that I can better understand dosing and how to calculate ppm?

Tank Update: 03.22.19

Green spot algae started a day ago. It's mainly on the substrate concentrating in the middle of the tank. I haven't really had issues with it until this week so besides the Equilibrium not much has changed that I can think of. Doing some reading it may be due to low phosphates or C02.

I'll be doing a 60-70% water change Saturday morning, filter cleaning, and bleaching the C02 diffuser. The diffuser has started to put out larger bubbles recently. I hope this will retard it.
Greggz likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi @FIUPanther305

I would start with the Seachem Equilibrium. If the magnesium issues continue after dosing Equilibrium then we can look at addition additional.

Yes, I would start with the 40-60 gallon level of EI dosing. Monitor the nitrate level (NO3) weekly (I try to consistently check before doing water changes to see what the maximum NO3 attained level is). If it creeps above 40 ppm then cut back on the EI dosing level of the KNO3, you may have to increase the K2SO4 dosing level if you do.

Yes, GSA can be a symptom of low phosphate levels.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A few days (03.20.19) after adding some more easy green root tabs to the tank I started to get cloudy water. It's to the point that if I stand on one end of the tank I can't see the other end and it has a green tinge to it. I'm thinking I'm getting a bout of green algae. A EI handout I found online says it is caused by ammonia + high light, but water tests this morning are showing 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and 20 Nitrate.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I've been reading on the forum and it seems like a UV sterilizer clears it right up. There's a 13W SunSun on Amason for $38, is that the right move? I've never had green water before and if anything I have more plants mass than ever.

I'm not sure why the second image isn't loading, but here's the link.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2yy8f40.jpg

Last edited by FIUPanther305; 03-27-2019 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Added Pics
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A few updates

* Equilibrium has improved growth of new leaves, I may need to up the dose as their is still some curling. The leaves are much much improved though.

* I had a bout of green water algae that I ended up beating with an intake UV sterilizer. It happened shortly after adding Easy Green root tabs, not sure if that was the cause.

* I just added some NiCol root tabs two days ago to fill in a few areas that could use some substrate fertilization.

* Moved 6 Otos from quarantine, 5 Amanos, and 2 Mystery Snails. All the Otos survived and are fat and happy, the Amanos all died from jumping out of the tank, and the Mystery Snails were moved back into the QT tank due to the rams eating their tentacles.

* I'm currently dosing EI at the 60-80 gallon range. Everything is growing well, just have a touch of either hair or staghorn on some of the java fern closest to the light.

* Lost a bunch of Red Eye Tetras during a water change. I think it was due to the filters being off when I added the dechlorinator, I think it may not have mixed well and when I added the water they died from shock. It's strange because no other fish died, but the rummy-nose were swimming weird for a bit. I ruled out temp change, as the thermometer showed about a 1-2 degree change at most.

*Update Pic below from 04.19.19

https://ibb.co/ncdHLwG

Not sure why, but I can't get the image to come up on the post so I've attached a link.
chayos00 likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIUPanther305 View Post
A few updates

* Equilibrium has improved growth of new leaves, I may need to up the dose as their is still some curling. The leaves are much much improved though.

* I had a bout of green water algae that I ended up beating with an intake UV sterilizer. It happened shortly after adding Easy Green root tabs, not sure if that was the cause.

* I just added some NiCol root tabs two days ago to fill in a few areas that could use some substrate fertilization.

* Moved 6 Otos from quarantine, 5 Amanos, and 2 Mystery Snails. All the Otos survived and are fat and happy, the Amanos all died from jumping out of the tank, and the Mystery Snails were moved back into the QT tank due to the rams eating their tentacles.

* I'm currently dosing EI at the 60-80 gallon range. Everything is growing well, just have a touch of either hair or staghorn on some of the java fern closest to the light.

* Lost a bunch of Red Eye Tetras during a water change. I think it was due to the filters being off when I added the dechlorinator, I think it may not have mixed well and when I added the water they died from shock. It's strange because no other fish died, but the rummy-nose were swimming weird for a bit. I ruled out temp change, as the thermometer showed about a 1-2 degree change at most.

*Update Pic below from 04.19.19

https://ibb.co/ncdHLwG

Not sure why, but I can't get the image to come up on the post so I've attached a link.
The Image needs to be with a .jpg at the end of it. So https://i.ibb.co/1qyDm0g/Aquarium-04-19-19.jpg is what comes up when I click "open image in new tab" in Chrome. Then you click the Image button and use that as the Image.

Yeah that's weird how just one species died, does make you scratch your head in a WTF moment.
FIUPanther305 likes this.

300g 6' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hey there Panther, two things.

1) Equilibrium is an awesome supplement and is hands-down my favorite of all the stuff Seachem makes; even more than Purigen! Your dose sounds appropriate; keep it regular and you'll see great results over time.

2) Green Water isn't that bad, as far as algae go. I've typically found it to start after I overclean my filtration and/or do a major rehaul of the tank. Over the years that's lead me to conclude that significant disturbances to the tank's ecosystem/biological maturity is just what GW likes. Adding tabs that are typically nutrient rich can temporarily overload the tank's biological buffer and spike GW. If you're able to wait it out, a GW bloom can actually be very beneficial to a system's biological stability and rarely has a negative impact on plants.

I like the setup and look forward to seeing how it matures.

Regards,
Phil
Greggz and FIUPanther305 like this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Another quick update.

* I'm down to maybe 2-3 melani cory cats, no idea why they keep dying. They tend to hide behind my driftwood on the right side within the java fern roots.
* I'm also down to only 3 red-eye tetras
* I lowered my dosing down to the EI 20-40 gallon prescription. I had not measured my nitrates in a long time and last week they were through the roof (took a few days of 30-40% water changes to bring it down), I think I may have not been changing enough water as my weekly water changes were probably closer to 35-40%. I kept trying to avoid having the HOB run dry. I have lengthened the intake tubes so I can do bigger water changes.
* I will be monitoring nitrates closer until I get a better feel on dosing.
* Added 5 SAE to help with BBA besides finding their behavior interesting.
* Added 6 standard silver angels (quarter-half dollar size), if they start eating cardinals in the future I'll have to donate them (cardinals) to my Father's tank.
* Added some aeration. Placed a stone behind the java fern as that area was stagnant with crud and added a small sponge filter to always have bio filter ready for new tanks/qt.

Phil Edwards, ipkiss and chayos00 like this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIUPanther305 View Post
Another quick update.

* I'm down to maybe 2-3 melani cory cats, no idea why they keep dying. They tend to hide behind my driftwood on the right side within the java fern roots.
* I'm also down to only 3 red-eye tetras
* I lowered my dosing down to the EI 20-40 gallon prescription. I had not measured my nitrates in a long time and last week they were through the roof (took a few days of 30-40% water changes to bring it down), I think I may have not been changing enough water as my weekly water changes were probably closer to 35-40%. I kept trying to avoid having the HOB run dry. I have lengthened the intake tubes so I can do bigger water changes.
* I will be monitoring nitrates closer until I get a better feel on dosing.
* Added 5 SAE to help with BBA besides finding their behavior interesting.
* Added 6 standard silver angels (quarter-half dollar size), if they start eating cardinals in the future I'll have to donate them (cardinals) to my Father's tank.
* Added some aeration. Placed a stone behind the java fern as that area was stagnant with crud and added a small sponge filter to always have bio filter ready for new tanks/qt.

Your tank is beautiful.

Does the tank have a lid? I dont foresee any type of cichlids (certainly not Angels) being able to live long term in a lidless aquarium. This is due to their natural con-specific aggression with one another. Which are behaviors much like discus ( I have both Angels and discus).

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Tank is looking real good, panther! Sorry about the fish though. Good luck with the new ones.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Your tank is beautiful.

Does the tank have a lid? I dont foresee any type of cichlids (certainly not Angels) being able to live long term in a lidless aquarium. This is due to their natural con-specific aggression with one another. Which are behaviors much like discus ( I have both Angels and discus).
Yes, aquarium has a lid.

On con specific aggression, I could't agree more, they did some damage to each other in the QT tank. I'm hoping the damage heals up over time and doesn't leave any lasting deformities.
Discusluv likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode