VioletAqua 55g Tank Journal - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks @sittinglynx! If I was to start again or start another tank I would be much more patient adding the livestock. I was very excited to get my first tank up and going I just rushed right into it. It felt like I was doing 2 water changes a day for 2 months. This hobby is slowly teaching me patience. Fortunately all the fish seem healthy right now.

@Smooch The bacopa has been in the tank for 2.5 months. It did just get a heavy pruning and was replanted though. The bacopa has always felt like by the time it reaches the surface the bottom half of the leaves have all died and it needs to be replanted again. Thanks for the video link! Ill finish watching it tonight.
sittinglynx likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick progress update

Testing out not scrubbing the tank glass during water changes to see if snails can keep up with algea. 2 weeks of not scrubbing and its still looking pretty good.

Testing lower feeding levels for the fish. Nitrate was at 40ppm 2 weeks ago, down to around 30ppm now. I was likely overfeeding the fish.

The bumblebee catfish SA has reappeared again. I didn't see it for a month or so, now it is coming out for a swim every feeding time (twice a day). Yay! It's a fun fish to look at.

Lost the mystery snail the other week. No definite reason why has been established. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...l-mystery.html

The blank angel fish had a scare the other week. It developed a white growth (scale damage with bacteria most likely). It's since made a great recovery. I just added a little stress guard and it healed right up. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...-help-ich.html

The Limnophila sessiliflora is growing out great!

Challenges.
My patience is being tested. I really want the back middle to grow in but it's taking so long! The Limnophila hippuridoides and the Rotala rotundifolia grow so slowly! But they are making progress at around 1/2" to 1" a week?

The Rotala rotundifolia is not growing straight. It grows in weird spirals and leaning over to the side! Annoying. It's still to small to really prune or do much with.

I noticed a little algae growing on the Alternanthera reineckii Rosanervig that needs to be wiped off. I'm not 100% pleased with where the Alternanthera reineckii Rosanervig is right now. I'm thinking of spot to put it to create a full bush effect. Rather than a thin line effect. Any suggestions?

Thinking of making a better of a path for the catfish to use at the back of the tank.

I'm not sure if the sword plant is going to last in the tank. I really wanted a huge sword but it blocks so much light from the other plants I have to keep pruning it back. Might swap the crypt into the middle? Who knows.. that's the fun of the planted tank!

Edit add in:
I almost forgot! I have an Anubias flower!! I had to do some research when it appeared to figure out what it was, but it's been very exciting to look at (its on the left side). I think another one is about to open on the right side, Time will tell.
Phil Edwards and celadon like this.

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 03:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Things are looking better Violet! Two things I noticed immediately looking at the picture:

1) Cut the lily leaf/leaves that are reaching for the surface. If you let one get up top the plants going to throw out leaves like nobody's business and you're going to have a mess on your hands.

2) Trim the Limnophila hard. It needs a firm hand and sturdy scissors to keep in check when it's happy.

I wouldn't worry about the Bacopa so much. What you've described is fairly common for stems in general and B. caroliniana in particular. As for plant grouping and the bunch vs. line thing, it's hard to do in a 55 since they're so shallow front to back. I've always told folks who are super fresh and just starting out learning how to arrange plants to do everything in triangles. Draw out a rectangle for the bottom of your tank and make a stained glass window out of it using various sizes and shapes of triangles with the color variations being the color or textures of the plants. Try to contrast both as much as possible when doing the plan. Keep it simple and keep the triangles big. You'll be amazed at how small they actually are in reality vs. on paper once you start planting. The trick is to never have a triangle in the middle or to have a more obtuse one have an angle point in the middle. Since the floor space of your tank is so limited front to back, don't go crazy and make multiple rows of triangles, just stick to one row, but use up the whole space.

Hope this helps some,
Phil
VioletAqua likes this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Updated shot after the maintenance / aquascaping yesterday. It's amazing how fast 3-4 hours goes by when your in the groove!
- Thinned out and replanted all the Limnophila on left side
- moved some dwarf sag to left side
- removed the sword and planted the crypt in middle (I think when it's grown in it will add more depth. tall, medium, then small)
- replanted the AR to a tighter cluster behind the crypt
- pruned all the dwarf sag! vallis

Another Anubias flower opened up today! I see a 3rd one already formed. They seem to open up right after a water change.

Thanks @Phil Edwards that's great advice. I appreciate you sharing. I'll experiment with adding some triangle patterns into the design. I already like the sound of that. Yes, the 55g is narrow! Especially when I have 2 large logs taking up 1/3 of the tank depth. It really limits your options for creating depth with plants.

Good to know about the lily! I gave that run away stem a snip. The surface stems shoot up and hit the surface in 1-2 days so you have to stay quick with the scissors.

When you say "trim the Limnophila hard" - what size of a trim do you recommend? Around 2/3 height remaining or 1/3 height remaining?

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 01:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've typically top and replant Limnophilas as needed. Sessiflora requires it frequently, so don't be afraid to yank it. Some people like to keep more of the plant, but I usually go with 6 inch cuttings when replanting and push them down as far as I can; to the point where only an inch or two of stem sits above the substrate. Not only does that help get any algae affected leaves down into the substrate, but it also promotes stronger root growth and keeps the healthiest bit left above to grow.
VioletAqua likes this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your feedback @Phil Edwards . I took your advice and it was a very smooth pruning, also the plants kept growing without delay afterwards. The tank even got a great clean in that corner when the plants were removed.
Phil Edwards likes this.

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank pictures from today.

Observations:
Have been noticing more aggression between the Angel fish. The silver striped angel is the queen of the tank (king?). My guess was that it was starting to pair up with the yellow gold angel fish. They spend alot of time beside each other and when the lights go out they defend their territory together from other fish. What confused me was I have seen them on 2 occasions "duel" where they will look at each other and then charge each other. Normally when the angels do this the other one swims away. When these 2 do it they don't swim away and it looks like a cage fighting match between them. The Gold angel fish ended up getting damaged side scales and pectoral fin tears (they have started healing).

Algea growth has been increasing. I find this odd as there is more and more plant mass now. I am dosing a little less fertilizer?

Back middle plants are starting to grow! The Limnophila hippuridoides is really taking off.

The floating plants are growing alot slower than I would have imagined. I want to have a full strip of them at the front of the tank. They have been taking up about 1/4 of the strip for a month now. Any reason they are not doing well? I notice alot of dead leaves on the dwarf water lettuce that get almost see through that I pick off every week.

**I am not happy with the crypt in the middle** It doesn't grab your attention like the sword plant used to. It's possible when the AR grows back taller (its right behind the crypt) it will look better. Does anyone have any suggestions for a plant for the front middle of the tank?

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick update:
- Removed the crypt plant in the middle. Trying out planting the AR in a V pattern in the middle.
- Plants growing well
- The anubias is pearling!
- The silver striped angel fish has slowed down with it's appetite. No other signs noticed at this time with it. Seems unusual.

It's funny with the angel fish how some days you look at them and you think wow they are a lot bigger.
Phil Edwards likes this.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick update:
Tank going well. No issues atm. Getting into the groove. Weekly maintenance has been maintained.

Silver striped angel fish has stopped eating flakes/ pellets. She still eats the frozen blood worms, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp so I have determined she has become a picky eater. Likely due to an abundance of food. This one used to eat the most by far. Will monitor.

Red gourami has had one of his feelers nipped down to 1/4 length. I imagine it was the blue gourami who did this. They like to duel each other.

The Limnophila hippuridoides has reached the top!

Floating plants are growing way slower than anticipated. Started with 3 amazon frogbit and I still only have 3 amazon frog bit. The dwarf water lettuce has alot of small ones but no big ones. Something is going on to prevent them from growing properly. I will note the gourami will bite the floating plants and carry them underwater and the spit them out in a corner where they are creating a nest. Interesting to watch but might be preventing the growth?!
Phil Edwards likes this.

Tags
55 gallon, new aquarium, new fish, new tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode