5 gallon betta tank! - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By chi1013

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
5 gallon betta tank!

Well, I succumbed to MTS pretty quick. About 3 months into the hobby and already started a new tank.
So specs:
5.5 gallon glass tank
Low tech
Substrate: Seachem flourite and flourite black
Seachem flourish tabs in substrate
Penn-Plax cascade heater 50W adjustable with auto on/off
Sponge filter with combo check valve and adjustable flow to keep the water out of the pump and the keep airfluw lower for the betta.
Imagitarium air pump. This will be upgraded sometime soonish because the noise is getting annoying
Aqueon LED planted clip on light. at 12 inches from light in 16x16 area: peak par 63 with average par at 35. Peak lux at 3722 with avg lux at 2188

Plants:
Microsword
Dwarf
Anubias barteri "nana"
Single stalk water wisteria with roots
2 marimo balls
1 dwarf lily with bulb
1 Cryptocoryne parva spread out into little groups and planted throughout
Another cryptocoryne that I think might be undulata but I can't remember what the guy at LFS said it was.
1 driftwood
almond leaf

1 floating betta log

1 halfmoon betta
1 nerite snail (I took one of the snails from my 10 gal.

Tank:

https://imgur.com/p1WLE8s

My betta, Puck Bucky Bardly

https://imgur.com/KQhfAut
He's a halfmoon but I dunno if he has some combtail in him.

I think that's it. Lemme know if I missed anything!
tredford likes this.

Chi1013

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
So I posted this in the fish subforum. My 5 gal has been a bit of a mess. I have like, no ammonia because my bioload is so low. With only 1 betta and 1 nerite it's just not enough for a planted tank. I added another nerite yesterday and my nitrogen supplement came in the mail yesterday so at least I can get my nitrates to above 0. But every time I clean the filter during tank maintenance (put in bag with tank water, squeeze gently, and repeat as needed) I get a mini cycle. first ammonia goes up a bit then nitrites. So I'm not sure if I should add more fish? I have about 2 inches of substrate so it's not like there's a ton of water volume anyway. The nitrogen will help the plants to grow and not die as well. I have a beneficial bacteria in a bottle but what's the point in adding it if there is no food for the bacteria?

Anyway, I had some serious serious issues with algae that I cleaned yesterday. I definitely had brown algae and green fuzz algae. but some of the algae was pretty bright blueish green. Now I looked up cyanobacteria but I'm not sure if it could be. It says you need nitrates for it and I have been at 0 the last few days. The tank is still clear today with brown algae still around. But I'm hoping everything will equalize.

Here are updated pics of the plants.

My 2 nerites

small bucephalandra

microsword:

dwarf hair grass... I think

anubius

Crypt. roots are still good even tho it looks like it's leaning

sword

dwarf lily

some of that algae I was talking about

floating water sprite, just added this morning. cuttings are from my water sprite in my 10 gallon

Can't forget the grumpy fish!

Chi1013

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
betta 5 gallon design

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode