Disclaimer / note to myself :
This is supposed to be a slow project. Will not have regular update. And that's okay with me! Also, its possible that i'm going to move in july. I told my GF that i will not set this tank before, but I will get it ready....
I've been in the hobby for almost a year. Started with a 10G coming with a kit. Started to browse kijiji for used aquarium and I now have a 15G, a 29G, a 30G and a fluval spec V. I also have two 5G that i use for quarantine and reproduction. In the last year, I've watch a lot of fish YouTuber and one that I like a lot is Corvus Oscen. He is really big on freshwater sump. So, because I'm curious, I've been looking to setup an freshwater aquarium with a sump. Because I'm living in an apartment, I cannot have a really big aquarium. Here is my journey!
I found a 50G with a stand for 50 CAD. Which is an amazing deal! The only thing was that the tank was dirty with a lot of calcium deposit and the stand had seen better days. And this is the beginning of my planning.
A 50G with a 20G sump underneath. I already have a 10lbs CO2 cylinder on my 29G that I'm gonna switch to this system. The tank is not drilled. I've been researching a lot, and because I'm in an apartment, I want the system to be as safe as possible. That's why i've chosen to drill this tank and to use the BeanAnimal method for draining.
Step 1 : The basics
So first weekend after getting the tank and stand. Finally having some time to work. What do I start with? Decided to start with the stand. Bought some paints and sandpaper; transformed my office into a paint workshop for the week. Took me 3 days to finish the paint job. I did a primer coat then 2 coating of paint while waiting 24h between the coats because the stand is made with melamine.
I'm not a fan of the black for a color. And I don't like the hardware that came with the stand. Might change that.
So this is after the primer coat. I used a paint roller like it was suggested on the box. Because it was my first time with it, I did not do a great job with it and there was a lot of micro bubble. Lesson learned : next time I'll go slowly.
This is right after my last coat of paint. Because of my previous mistake, I did the paint with my trusty paintbrush.
It's hard to see on picture, but there is A LOT of calcium deposit. I've started to clean the panel and rub some vinegar on the panels to remove them. I'm kinda satisfied of the result even if there is still some that are still visible. I forgot to take a picture after cleaning, it is going to be for next time. Also, there is a rim, but I removed it for easier cleaning.
1. The sealing needs to be redone. There are bubbles all the way, and it seams to be kind of an old tank so i'm not taking any chances.
2. I've ordered an eshopps eclipse large to set up an beananimal drain.
I'm not sure if i want to redo the seal and water test first or if i want to drill the tank first. I'm kinda scared to do the seal first and then chipping the tank while drilling because i've never done it before... I'll think about that in the next days.
I'll see you around!