Amateur's planted tank - progressing slowly towards Hi-tech tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amateur's planted tank - progressing slowly towards Hi-tech tank

How I got into this hobby?
During my childhood, we visit our aunt's house where a neighbor had many betta fishes and I use to spend most of the day there just sitting and watching the fishes. As I grow-up, I never had a chance to own a fish tank.

Recently, my daughter had an assignment at school to showcase aquatic plants in a school exhibition on flora and fauna. So my wife search around our place and found a LFS that sold planted tanks. She bought a small 8 liter well-planted tank. After she came home, we thought something is missing, and added 3 molly fishes from a LFS. That's were it all begun.

As with most first timers, we overstocked the tank with fishes. Out of 3 mollys, 2 were females and we bought a pair of Guppies as well. So you know what happened after that. Fries, fries and fries all over.

So we decided to buy a new Tank:
After many mistakes, I started learning a lot about this hobby (mostly from this forum) and convinced my wife to buy a new bigger tank. We bought a 160 liter (42 gal) tank in Jan 2019. This time we decided to ourselves try aquascaping.

Without much knowledge, we bought a lot of different plants, rocks, driftwood, substrates and started scaping. We started setting up the whole tank and this is how it was after the initial setup.

Yes, again we made some mistakes of not thinking about where to plant what.

Also learnt that plants needed CO2 to grow . So decided to buy an expensive CO2 system after a week of discussion with my wife and finally convincing her on why we should invest in this system. Over time, after trimming and replanting every week, now it looks like this.

The tank has not yet reached where we want to take it. Am still planning to add a lot of things to this tank in future.

Setup:
1. 160 liter (42 gal) Tank
2. Powerhead Pump with sponge filter (came alone with the tank and not enough filtering)
3. CO2 system with ceramic dispenser.
4. In-built LED light (12w)
5. Additional submersible LED light (15w)

Fishes:
1. Molly (3)
2. Guppy (4)
3. Platy (1)
4. Cardinal Tetras (10)
5. Rummy-nose Tetras (8)
6. Tiger Barbs (2)
7. Chinese Golden Algae Eater (2)
8. Zebra Danios (5)
9. Harlequin Rasboras (6)
Greggz, ipkiss, chayos00 and 3 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Are you guys able to see the pictures in this post? Am not able to see the pics when I check from my mobile. Not even in full version theme

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:37 AM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hello @codetiger, I can see the pictures and am also using mobile. The tank looks good. I am always happy to see new hobbyist. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 08:21 AM
Algae Grower

I too not able to see the pics. Displayed as blocked images. Might be needed more posts to see it. Not able to upload a image also. 😞

Bhala
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've raised a complaint in the helpdesk forum for admins to help on the image issues.

Meanwhile, I bought a Canister filter (Eheim Classic 250) for our tank last week and had it setup over the weekend. My initial feedback on the filter goes below.

Pros:

1. One thing, I immediately observed. Compared to my top filter that came along with the tank (Chinese manufacturer), Canister filters are far better in water clarity. Within 2 hours after the installation, I could see the difference.
  2. The entire system is completely silent, however the water circulation is much better.
  3. When I saw the rating as 8w in my canister filter, I doubted if this will work for my 160 liter tank, as my current powerhead pump was rated 24w but was very slow.
  4. Quality of the product is Superior.
Cons:
  1. Despite the quality of the product being really good, I found it very hard to install. I would blame the manual not giving enough info.
  2. Especially the hose pipe that came along was not long enough. It was exactly enough to place it the tank with a precision of few cms, I was not able to place it where I wanted but forced to place it in the shortest distance.
  3. Some instructions were missing and I ended up leaking water when I set it up for the first time.

Overall, once you setup the filter successfully, you will love it. :-)
Greggz, chayos00 and KZB like this.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:54 PM
Algae Grower

Nice tank! I'll be looking forward your future update! I'm on my mac and I don't have a problem seeing your pictures.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update on the new filter:

After adding the new filter and topping 5% water to the tank, we found 2 Neon Tetras and 1 young guppy dead. I did test the water parameters and found there was a Nitrate spike and fishes started gasping.

To comfort the fishes, I increased the bubble flow through venturi in our powerhead pump. This fixed the issue, however, I am still working on fixing the source of the problem. Today I added some bacteria solution to the new filter.

Next step is to add more light and chiller.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 04:59 AM
Algae Grower

Nice tank. I particularly like the floating mountain of pandora!

Perhaps it's a co2 spike?

Not meaning to be insulting but since you mentioned a nitrate spike and adding bacteria you do know that the kinds of bacteria you have in your filters don't eat nitrate. A better way to deal with high nitrates is to do a 50% water change. If that's not what you meant than please disregard.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld738 View Post
Nice tank. I particularly like the floating mountain of pandora!
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Perhaps it's a co2 spike?
After seeing fishes gasping, I reduced the CO2 considerably. It is at 1 bpm and the fluid does not even change color. So CO2 spike is ruled out.

Quote:
Not meaning to be insulting but since you mentioned a nitrate spike and adding bacteria you do know that the kinds of bacteria you have in your filters don't eat nitrate. A better way to deal with high nitrates is to do a 50% water change. If that's not what you meant than please disregard.
My Bad, I didn't give the full details. I added the bacterial solution, thinking that it was ammonia spike. Now, am doing a complete test again. Will share the results in an hour.

Meanwhile, the Nitrates are always above 40 ppm in my tank. I've a hard time bringing it down. I've check the level in water source as well today.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

As expected, the Ammonia and Nitrite levels are 0 ppm.

However, Nitrate is on the higher level.

It looks like 80 ppm to me. Planning to do a 25% water change today and tomorrow. The other issue is the temperature which is at 31c and I don't have a chiller yet.

Last edited by codetiger; 03-13-2019 at 04:08 AM. Reason: changed full size to thumbnail images
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

After the water parameters test and found high nitrates, I suspect the plants are not using nitrates much and we are overstocking fishes. To get nitrates under control, we have planned for the following.
  1. Added new lighting (Sunsun ADS-700c) for plants to do better photosynthesis and absorb more Nitrates. (Done)
  2. Water changes (Planning to do 10 ~ 20% water changes every day. (Yet to start)
  3. Add Seachem De-Nitrate filter media to our canister filter. (Planning after few water changes)
Obviously not doing everything at the same time. Lighting is pending for a long time, so added that last night.

Before Changing the lights: (6k Lux)

After Changing the Lights: (86.5k Lux)

I shall be sharing the updates on Nitrates and plant growth after 12 hours of installation.

Note: The light brightness was measured using Galactica Luxmeter app on iOS.

Last edited by codetiger; 03-13-2019 at 04:46 AM. Reason: added light lux info
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 05:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by codetiger View Post
It looks like 80 ppm to me. Planning to do a 25% water change today and tomorrow. The other issue is the temperature which is at 31c and I don't have a chiller yet.
Welcome to TPT! I like what you have started here. Lots of potential.

I can see your photos on my desktop just fine. I have not tried to see it on my phone yet so I cannot speak on that.

I was dealing with very high nitrates as well. Part of my problem was that my water already had ~5-10 ppm nitrites out of the tap. Might want to check your tap water just to know if you are fighting an uphill battle. As many others will tell you, the best way to fight high nitrates is to do water changes. Increased plant growth will help, but there is no substitution for water changes.

I did not notice you mention fertilizer dosing. Fertilizers are an essential part of the planted tank triad. Light, Ferts, and CO2.

One thing to keep in mind when increasing water changes is that the ferts need to be replenished to compensate for large changes of water.
Greggz and chayos00 like this.

Last edited by AguaScape; 03-13-2019 at 05:17 AM. Reason: edit
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Aguascape,
Yes am adding local made ferts for Micro and Marco nutrients. Am adding 10 drops every alternative days. Other than this I’ve not yet put much time in understanding the fert needs of plants yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	062EA782-4106-4BF5-87C2-06D6E520B2AA_1552485718473.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	878967  

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaScape View Post
Welcome to TPT! I like what you have started here. Lots of potential.

I can see your photos on my desktop just fine. I have not tried to see it on my phone yet so I cannot speak on that.

I was dealing with very high nitrates as well. Part of my problem was that my water already had ~5-10 ppm nitrites out of the tap. Might want to check your tap water just to know if you are fighting an uphill battle. As many others will tell you, the best way to fight high nitrates is to do water changes. Increased plant growth will help, but there is no substitution for water changes.
Thanks very much for your support. I’ve been reading a lot of your posts in this forum. I am planning to do water changes today after checking the nitrate in water source. Will give you an update in few days on this nitrate level.

How ever, after adding new lights, I can already see fishes are happy again. That gives a good sign that my tank is getting better.
KZB likes this.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Amateur's planted tank - progressing slowly towards Hi-tech tank

If it was me I would skip the 10%-25% water changes and do a 50%-75% water change. When changing such a small amount of water each day you aren’t really changing 10% you are changing less because you are also removing some of the new water you put in the day before. But again fish shouldn’t really be effected by 80ppm nitrate in the short term unless you have some very delicate strains. Just make sure when doing larger water changes you have already dechlorinated and the temp is close to the same. With my planted tanks my nitrates range from 20-40 ppm with no issues to even my caridina shrimp.

Also try feeding every two or three days instead of everyday. Fish will be fine as long as you feed enough during the feeding and remove what is not eaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chayos00 and KZB like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode