carlsj2012's 75 Gallon, The Comeback (56k warning?) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank @chayos00! I was a little hesitant about the Emperor tetras, but my little girl picked them out. She did a good job! I see you've got a DIY LED build. I may have to check that out, try to get my PAR and PUR up! All in good time.

Bump: Today I decided to wage WAR on the BGA. I punched it right in the face with H2O2. Here's the procedure I followed:
1) Turned off all circulation, filter and skimmer, and waited 5 minutes for flows to settle.
2) Loaded up a 10 mL syringe with H2O2
3) Repeatedly punched BGA in the face, mostly at the substrate level, a little on some of the plants.
4) Total used was 35 mL, I felt I was getting trigger happy, so I stopped there.
5) Watched BGA scream in agony for 30 minutes.
6) Filter and skimmer back on.

So far so good. Fish seem as happy as always. Guess I'll know more in 24-48hrs how everything fared out.

Also tested water parameters with what API test kits I have.
pH: 7
NH4: 0.5 ppm
NO2: 0 ppm
NO3: 20 ppm

Found my CO2 bubble count had slowed for some reason, so I cranked that back up. Added my regular macro doses, and also added 5 ml of Excel. Now my daughter wants to type something:

6oppuxcrsxg gfagyg jnp; b vi9093gk;k;n k[l;lbjw,kb kqnckqjjwl.kwnkwb kwqu

She's sitting on my lap, gotta keep it fun. Until next time!
chayos00, zmartin and AguaScape like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Keep up the H2O2 dosing for a few days or every other day to keep the algae death happening, sometimes I've noticed area's I thought I got good enough needed repeated dosings to kill. I battled BBA (black beard algae) for quite some time, but I think I'm finally winning that battle as I'm seeing only tiny bits here and there now.

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:53 PM
Planted Member

I wouldn't use any chemical treatment to combat BGA, except for peroxide spot treatment. Adding another chemical compound to the tank seems like adding another variable.
Keep up on water changes. A normal running tank with EI dosing needs 50% a week, but i've found that 3x 25% changes a week make things look even better.
While your battling BGA, i would say do even more.

TLDR: for BGA (and most other algae)
1. Manual remove as much as possible
2. Spot treat with Hydrogen Peroxide right before a water change
3. Do big water changes.
4. Do more big water changes.
carlsj2012 likes this.

post #19 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your input everyone! The plan going forward is to spot dose every other day. Unfortunately, I'm only able to water change once a week at the moment. But next week I have some vacation, and will have more time to devote to water changes.

On another note, I'm looking at picking up testing kits, and was wondering what priority order to give, as getting all will exceed the monthly budget set aside. Here's what I want to get for tests:
-Gh and KH
-PO4
-K
-Ca
-Mg
-pH pen

Thoughts?
Greggz likes this.
post #20 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Being that you are dosing CO2, I would start with a good way to read pH changes due to injecting CO2. Also the GH & KH test, as then you can determine your rough CO2 levels. I picked up this pH pen and love it. One thing with pH pens are the cheap ones I've found to be junk and take forever to read stable. This one I let it sit in the sample for about 2 minutes and know the reading is stable. I always calibrate my pH pen when using it with the 4.0 and the 7.0 solution. I just take this testers little ph solutions and change them out about every other month and this way the calibration solution lasts for quite some time.

PH Pen:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ENFOHN8/

Calibration Solution:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017H73794/

Then I'd probably go PO4 and then the others (Ca & Mg) would depend if you RO mix your water. Not sure if anyone ever measures K (Potassium).
carlsj2012 likes this.

post #21 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

An interesting observation from my SO: It would appear that my angels are pulling up the newly planted HC. This would explain why I'm finding chunks of it floating around the tank all the time. Not too sure how to go about it, but several possibilities came up on the forums. Could be they aren't getting enough variety in their diet. I think this is the most plausible, as it's really mostly been flake food with the occasional shrimp pellets, and they have also be picking at the wafers I leave for the pleco. I found another interesting possibility that this is a learned behavior. They pull at plants, and I feed them thinking they must be hungry. Something I actually did last night after being told of this behaviour. Smart little fishes, I say! The third and less likely possibility I've found is that they are trying to tidy up for breeding. Doesn't really seem like they've paired off at all, so I'm ruling that one out. Maybe I'll try adding some veggies into their diet. Maybe some cucumber?

Otherwise, the BGA I hit with H2O2 has not come back with a vengeance. I've still got a couple of spots that I will hit tonight after work. I noticed my Java fern leaves appear more wavy than normal. Some kind of deficiency or excess? Macro and Micro dosing has resumed, on day two now. I've been thinking of trimming back the dosing since my plants are relatively sparse and young and my PAR is so low. I'll try to get my parameters sheet up so you can see where I'm at. Some info will be missing, but it's a start.
chayos00 likes this.
post #22 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Been looking at some new lights. I'm really liking the Radion XR15 Pro Freshwater LEDs, but I think the price tag will keep me away for a little bit. Best start saving my pocket change, hahaha! Tonight is WC night, should be able to get a FTS and parameters up.
chayos00 likes this.
post #23 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsj2012 View Post
Been looking at some new lights. I'm really liking the Radion XR15 Pro Freshwater LEDs, but I think the price tag will keep me away for a little bit. Best start saving my pocket change, hahaha! Tonight is WC night, should be able to get a FTS and parameters up.
Yeah it's always savings time for fish tank evolution! That's the way it's gone since I set mine up two years ago. I even created a "savings for fun" savings account, that started life as the 15 year diamond upgrade for my wife's wedding ring. She's got a car on her finger, so that's now a "fun" fund! LOL

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Greggz and carlsj2012 like this.

post #24 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay! 70% WC was done. Also trimmed one of the didiplis diandra and replanted the top, just to see how it will handle it. This one seems to be my best grower, I will try to propagate it throughout the tank to increase my plant load until the others catch up.

Post WC-
pH: 7.6
NH3: 0.5
NO2: 0
NO3: 10

I'm a little confused as to why any ammonia would be present after a WC. I chalked it up to a bad test, and will check again tomorrow. Anyone see this before?

And finally, current water parameters and some pics!
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I think I may need to reduce my dosing until my plant population grows, for now all I can do is monitor NO3. What do you think?

Bump: Also, is there a way to get rid of the photobucket water mark? It really is unsightly. Not sure why my first images don't have them....
KZB, tredford and AguaScape like this.
post #25 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:29 AM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your tank is coming along nicely. Keep up us posted

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory
post #26 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsj2012 View Post
Also, is there a way to get rid of the photobucket water mark? It really is unsightly. Not sure why my first images don't have them....
It must be a photobucket thing, your pictures aren't the only ones I see these on. However I use Flickr and you could even use Imgur as a possible hosting site, neither have watermarks.

post #27 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Did a barrage of water tests last night, here are my numbers:
pH: 6.8
NH3: 0 ppm
NO2: 0 ppm
NO3: 40 ppm
dGH: 13
dKH: 5
Ca: 55ppm
PO4: 0.5 ppm
Mg: 23.09 ppm

Haven't really had time to analyze these values much, but off the top of my head, it would appear I am overdosing NO3 and underdosing PO4. Today is the last macro day, so I will skip KNO3. Any thoughts on my GH and KH? I felt like I needed quite a few drops for GH...
Hopefully tonight I can update my parameter worksheet. I think next EI cycle I will half KNO3.
Greggz likes this.
post #28 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Omg omg omg! The most astounding thing I've seen in my tank yet! Aaaaaaah!!!!! Ok, so, I was so surprised. I'm almost speechless. A male and female Emperor Tetra have tunneled underneath the HC! This whole time I've been blaming the Angelfish, but it was them all along. They must be "nesting"? With such a diverse population, they must be seeking somewhere safe. It's so cool seeing them disappearing under the HC. You can almost see them through the front of the tank. I'll have to keep clear of that area during tank clean. Don't want to disturb them.
post #29 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:35 PM

That's neat! burrowing tetras. - Converting my 75 turtle to another planted shortly, good inspiration.
post #30 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update on the Tetra cave. I'm still not sure what's going on over there. Just saw my silver flying fox trying to get in there, but he's too big. Water change is complete, tried not to disturb that area too much. Another new development was both the tetras and angelfish nipping at my arm. Maybe they're just more comfortable now?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode