24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA 60F ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ L e t í s g o ~

Hello~

Welcome to my journal!

The late Takashi Amano opened my eyes to another dimension of fish-keeping in the form of aquascaping many years ago. His work had me inspired, and since then I have dreamt of owning my own little glass box of nature. I have waited a long time for this moment! Now that I can finally afford it, here it is! My first aquascape! No expenses spared (almost!)

First, some details:

Tank:
ADA 60F

Substrate:
Powersand Advance S: 1L
Bacter100: 3 Spoons
Aquasoil Amazonia

Hardscape:
Manten stone: 30lb.

Co2:
ADA advanced system [Forest]
2 bps (Daytime, Night time off)

Light: Twinstar es-600

Heater: none

RO/DI water: 21 Liters @ 0TDS
remineralized with Shrimpmineral GH/KH+: 4g

Ferts:
Brighty K: 1ml (1 squirt)
Green Brighty Iron: 1ml (1 squirt)
Green Brighty mineral: 1ml (1 squirt)

Plants (Tissue Culture):
ADA Eleocharis Vivipara
ADA Utricularia Graminifolia (havenít planted yet)
Tropica 1-2-grow Taiwan Moss
UNS Hydrocotyle Tripartita
Aquatic Farmer Miriophyllum ĎGuyanaí
ADA Staurogyne Repens
ADA Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis
ADA Glossostigma Elatinoides
ADA Pogostemon Helferi
ADA Hemianthus Micranthemoides
ADA Eleocharis Vivipara
Twinstar-II M3
ADA Vuppa-II

In the mail
DOOA stream pipe ORB (accidentally broke the stem of lilypipe Tip: heat up the tubing before removal)
DO!AQUA music glass (tank is too shallow for included diffuser)

Livestock plans:
Crystal Red Shrimp or Amano Shrimp (or both?!!!)

as for fish, I am super indecisive (So many choices!):
2x M&F Dario Dario (I set up an artemia hatchery for this plan)
6+ Aplocheilichthys Normani
6+ Galaxy Rasbora/Celestial Pearl Danio
6+ Brachygobius xanthomelas
1x Tetraodon biocellatus (I would have to go slightly brackish)
6+ Danio Tinwini
maybe a few pygmy corydoras (they are so cute)

Weíll see when the time is right... Definitely leaning on dario dario but it is so hard to get a female in USA :/

3/4/19 Day 1:
PH: 6.6
Ammonia: Dark blue (over 8ppm?!)
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 80ppm

3/5/19 Day 2:
PH: 6.4
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 40-80ppm(cant tell)

3/6/19 Day 3:
PH: 6.4
Nitrite: 0.25 ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm

Day 5:
Ammonia: >8 PPM (ammonium since under 7 ph?)
Nitrite: 0.25 PPM
Nitrate: 10~20 PPM (the colors for these two look the same to me)

Day 7:
PH: 6.5
Ammonia: 8 PPM
Nitrite: 0.50 PPM
Nitrate: 5 PPM

This was my initial hardscape layout. I left it like this for a few days just looking at it, and I wasnít satisfied. There was no room between the front glass and hardscape for fish to swim, and no vertical space for plants to grow. Overall, it was just not balanced. It took me a long time and rearranging the stones to come up with my final layout. I thought BIG stones = more important. After this, I now think more stones (med/small/tiny) > few big stones. In hindsight, if Iíd ordered more smaller stones I could probably have gotten a lot more detail into the hardscape.

Final layout!

Day 1: First fill-up (super cloudy)

Day 3: Water is crystal clear & plants are thriving! Canít wait for more plants to come, as you can see there is a lot of open space to fill in with plants. Aqua Forest Aquarium (I got most of my stuff here) is out of Eleocharis Vivipara, but when it is back in stock I will get more to fill in the background. I may not end up using all the plants I ordered; Iíll start a small aqua farm for future plans. Originally, I wanted to carpet with Utricularia Graminifolia, but I am unsure if I should attempt it. It is a scary plant! Iíd hate for it to melt and jeopardize the entire scape. For now, the plan is to wait for the tank to finish cycling. In the meantime, I have prepared the Utricularia Graminifolia by tying onto riccia stone with cotton thread. Eventually I will just lay it on the top plane of the manten stone (will it spread and carpet on to the manten stone?) Weíll see!

Day 4: Alot of plants came in!

Staurogyne Repens

Pogostemon Helferi

Hemianthus micranthemoides

After planting. to be honest, Iím not thrilled with how it looks. Iím hoping it will look better once overgrown! I decided to plant foreground plants randomly together so weíll see how that looks. The pogostemon helferi and the lilaeopsis brasiliensis were really difficult to keep anchored in the soil, and they look kind of ugly at the moment. maybe I will pull it out if it doesnít look better down the road. Right now I am just concerned with growing out the plants in this tank, then deciding whether or not to replant (likely).
I think I will do mostly eleocharis vivipara down the road, and maybe a couple clumps of hydrocotyles here and there.

I thought I might as well show you guys how I set up my equipment. The tank is on my kitchen island, so I drilled some holes in the countertop and have the pump underneath for a cleaner look. I wanted it to look a bit more refined, so I used plastic grommets around the hoses.
At first I was using the silicone hosing for the co2 diffuser, but I like how the other pipes were glass much better. For that reason, I bent my own glass tubing and Iím really happy with it! They are a bit fragile, but easily made enough (this rendition is my second attempt after I broke the first one pulling the diffuser out).

Any opinions and advice are welcome!!

I will do my best to consolidate my updates on this post as we move forward for ease of viewing.

Thanks for stopping by!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by BIackpig; 03-11-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:35 AM
Algae Grower

It seems like your CO2 diffuser is way too close to the surface of water. It should be lower so that your current can push the gas bubbles around the tank as much as possible.

AquaMaxx Cuboid 9.1 + ONF Flat Nano + Shiruba XB-303
ADA Mini M + ONF Flat Nano + Shiruba PF-120 HOB
UNS 3N + Chihiros RGB+ Azoo Mignon 60 HOB
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like the initial layout much more. Wish you had stuck with that concept and try and resolve the issue of the hardscape being too close to the front glass. The layout you settled on is very flat. - biggest issue i think is the stones being too similar in height and overall the scape is symmetrical. The initial layout had varying heights and features as well as having the focal feature being non-centered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:15 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
IMHO, your fish list is all over the place, for a < 9g shallow tank.

The Figure 8 puffer with nano fish will be happy and the only fish in the tank.

Normani jump, a lot, and a tight cover is a must for them.

Brachygobius xanthomelas are rather aggressive and the tight space will not help.
Greggz and Discusluv like this.

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrubbyDick View Post
It seems like your CO2 diffuser is way too close to the surface of water. It should be lower so that your current can push the gas bubbles around the tank as much as possible.

Yep, the problem with this diffuser is the stem connects on the bottom, so this is the lowest it will go (the silicone tubing touches the substrate; any lower and it will kink). I have a do!aqua music glass diffuser coming soon so I will be able to lower the diffuser all the way to the bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarley View Post
I like the initial layout much more. Wish you had stuck with that concept and try and resolve the issue of the hardscape being too close to the front glass. The layout you settled on is very flat. - biggest issue i think is the stones being too similar in height and overall the scape is symmetrical. The initial layout had varying heights and features as well as having the focal feature being non-centered.

The Initial layout didnt have as much depth because
rock #1 took up the whole front viewing plane. I think this layout would work in a bigger tank? there just was not a lot of plantable real estate. Also, the big rock was so close to front glass (2-3 cm) that it would encourage the fish to stay towards the sides of the tank. The substrate was also at 3/4 height of the tank so there would really be no vertical growing space, further limiting swimming space for livestock. also rock # 5 was really out of place if you look closely. Overall, I didnt think it was very balanced for this tank size. Maybe it will help if i add some smaller accent rocks for a little more detail to the new layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
IMHO, your fish list is all over the place, for a < 9g shallow tank.

The Figure 8 puffer with nano fish will be happy and the only fish in the tank.

Normani jump, a lot, and a tight cover is a must for them.

Brachygobius xanthomelas are rather aggressive and the tight space will not help.
I agree! Iím suffering from wanting too many things and having only one tank . Most likely I will just stock either a dario dario pair or a small school of normani or tinwini. I do have the glass cover for this tank, having considered the possibility of jumpers! Luckily with this new layout it fits. That said, I will have to study up on which fish and shrimp thrive best in the same water parameters as the plants do.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:13 PM
Algae Grower

That piece of wood under the tank is really neat idea. Did you cut it yourself or buy it somewhere?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow, tough crowd lol.

You did a very nice job with the layout and you obviously have an artistic eye. The only thing I see in question is the size of the rock to the left front. I think it takes your eye away from the main focal area. A smaller rock would probably IMO work better.

Usually with rock heavy (iwagumi type) scapes less is more in terms of planting and the hairgrass in the back works perfectly. I know it's hard to hold back but some strategically placed low height plants in and around the rock area would finish it off. If you get bored eventually go for your UG foreground.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Speed View Post
That piece of wood under the tank is really neat idea. Did you cut it yourself or buy it somewhere?
It was really cheap! around $15(?). I actually got it at home depot (it was almost 8 inches longer so I had then cut it for me.) I think its just cheap wood with real bark glued on the edges. They didnít cut it very straight so Iíll probably cut it flush.... one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Wow, tough crowd lol.

You did a very nice job with the layout and you obviously have an artistic eye. The only thing I see in question is the size of the rock to the left front. I think it takes your eye away from the main focal area. A smaller rock would probably IMO work better.

Usually with rock heavy (iwagumi type) scapes less is more in terms of planting and the hairgrass in the back works perfectly. I know it's hard to hold back but some strategically placed low height plants in and around the rock area would finish it off. If you get bored eventually go for your UG foreground.

I do agree that there might be too much rock and not enough negative space. That said, I probably should have ordered smaller rocks for a more flexible/detailed layout. You can only do so much with 4-5 pieces! the phrase ďplay with the cards youíre dealtĒ really apply here. Hopefully my hardscape collection will grow and I will take what I learn from this tank to my next tank. The rock I dislike the most is the one on the left in the rear. It has very straight edges that dont look very natural to me; I kind of just shoehorned it in there. I might try to move those two pieces around but Iím really hoping to overgrow the plants to hide some of the imperfections.

KZB likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 5:
Ammonia: >8 PPM (ammonium since under 7 ph?)
Nitrite: 0.25 PPM
Nitrate: 10~20 PPM (the colors for these two look the same to me)

Hemianthus Micranthemoides is pearling alot, looks like it will recover from the yellowing leaves on the bottom. Seems to have gotten taller since I planted them yesterday?!

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis still looks like crumpled up paper strips. Canít wait for it to become a grassy carpet!!

Staurogyne Repens is starting to poke through the water kewl

Miriophyllum Guyana looking beautiful as usual

Eleocharis Vivipara still my favorite to look at. Must get more when AFA restocks

Hydrocotyle Tripartita still looking beautiful

Literally everything is pearling so Iím happy about that.

KZB likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 7:
PH: 6.5
Ammonia: 8 PPM
Nitrite: 0.50 PPM
Nitrate: 5 PPM

my kitchen lights color rendition actually looks pretty good hmmmmm

KZB likes this.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What is your light duration and strength? Be careful especially with an Iwagumi you need to really management your lighting and water changes to prevent algae.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Beautiful! I love what you have going here. I really like the way you are showcasing the equipment. The rustic wooden base is a perfect counterpoint to the modern look of everything else. Looking forward to seeing how everything grows in.
Discusluv likes this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
What is your light duration and strength? Be careful especially with an Iwagumi you need to really management your lighting and water changes to prevent algae.

I dont think my scape would qualify as an iwagumi... but thanks!!

Actually, Algae is a major major concern of mine so I am trying to do as much preventative measures as possible lol.

I do have lights on for 12 hrs a day just to jump start the growth of the baby plants from 6PM to 6AM.

I have the twinstar ES on max brightness for this duration.

Preventative measures on algae are as follows:
Twinstar M3 on 24/7 (activates every 15 min)
Remineralized RO/DI water (no algae spores)
Tissue culture plants only (no algae spores)

Iíll have to be more careful when livestock is added, and then I will be reducing the photoperiod to probably 8-10 hrs.

I am dosing brighty ferts at 1 squirt per bottle just to re-enrich the RO/DI water.

I have encountered a problem where some of my leaves are turning white, though. Iím not sure what the cause is. Quick research tells me its a new-tank problem, so Iím just going to leave it all as is until everything is cycled. I am still doing 90% water changes every other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaScape View Post
Beautiful! I love what you have going here. I really like the way you are showcasing the equipment. The rustic wooden base is a perfect counterpoint to the modern look of everything else. Looking forward to seeing how everything grows in.

Thanks!! That really means alot to me! The wooden base was just a happy accident I saw when I was strolling through Home Depot lol. One of the best things about fish keeping is finding random cheap things to incorporate into your tank

AguaScape likes this.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Iwagumi really just means that stone is used as the only hardscape. How one arranges those stones is another story. The only reason I even used the term is that since the rock takes up a lot of the footprint of the tank planting mass is limited and it's easier to get algae since the plant mass isn't there for maximum uptake.

12 Hours even with RO water is way too long, you should be at like 5-6 hours at startup. Let's just say "life happens" in terms of algae. It will get in there one way or another.
KZB likes this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hmm Iíll try reducing the photo period and see how that goes

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode