Cl3537's Very Green 17G - Page 9 - The Planted Tank Forum
 187Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz
But it seems you may be buying in to a dogma with which you have no practical experience.
Edit: Instead of a long ineffective diatribe I'll just ask.

What dogma are you referring to?

Last edited by cl3537; 05-06-2019 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Removed Post: Too long and the intended thesis is not getting across it wasn't meant as an attack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your ignorance on the whole EI is for Dutch tanks is simply laughable!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #123 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaozhuang View Post
That's why soil is useful... its localized, have different stratifications/layers, separated somewhat from water column chemistry. In your water column, all plants compete for the same dose, in soil, roots have their own areas. Ammonia - far more effective in the substrate than the water column...
@Xiaozhuang

I like this concept a lot. What would be some low maintenance options for substrate in your Diorama style scapes?

I would prefer not to have to worry about soil mixing with the cap and maintenance issues with that. I was hoping to do two types of sand,
course medium grit BDBS for planting and a lighter sand for the front if I can easily construct a barrier to prevent them for mixing.

I was considering Black Beauty medium grit Black Diamond Blasting Sand, can't I use that with root tabs(if necessary) and forego the soil altogether?

post #124 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
I have thought a great deal about your comment over the last few days so I delayed my response until now. I will violate my rule of trying to keep posts shorter as this is a very complicated topic and I have a lot to say.
I started to write a detailed response to this post, but honestly it would be so long I don't have the will.

You have pretty much managed to mischaracterize every thought I have about planted tanks. I don't understand the full scale attack on me personally. I am a hobbyist who shares my journey, and equally enjoys following the journeys and successes of others in the hobby. And that goes regardless of the type or style of tank, or the methodology used.

Good luck to you. I really do hope things go well and look forward to seeing where things go next.
Blacktetra and Gillionaire like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------
post #125 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post

You have pretty much managed to mischaracterize every thought I have about planted tanks. I don't understand the full scale attack on me personally...
I've been trying to say that for the last month about this member. He keeps referring to me as an EI fan boy which if you look at any of my posts I continually state that there are many approaches that work for different setups and different lifestyles, husbandry, etc. One approach doesn't work for everyone. The think that sets me off bout it, is that this member has pretty much no experience and is simply standing on the "shoulders of giants" and acting like he has figured everything out.
Greggz likes this.

post #126 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:39 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (485/100%)
I'll lock the thread if each of you can't be respectful.

We'll also suspend or ban you if you can't get your act together.
Leeatl likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #127 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
I started to write a detailed response to this post, but honestly it would be so long I don't have the will.

You have pretty much managed to mischaracterize every thought I have about planted tanks. I don't understand the full scale attack on me personally. I am a hobbyist who shares my journey, and equally enjoys following the journeys and successes of others in the hobby. And that goes regardless of the type or style of tank, or the methodology used.

Good luck to you. I really do hope things go well and look forward to seeing where things go next.
My apologies then if I misunderstood your opinions and advice.
You have helped many here and it doesn't go unnoticed, even though I can't credit you with the changes I needed in my tank I do recognize your efforts.

FWIW my quarrel is more with EI and Tom Barr theory and mostly how it is applied here on TPT rather than you personally so I removed my long diatribe it won't likely help anyone, least of all me, especially if it just looks like an attack.

I beleive the average tank(with lower stem density) that has algae problems could benefit from a leaner dosing regime, whether applied as EI or any other system, and that was the thesis for my post.
Greggz and Blacktetra like this.

Last edited by cl3537; 05-06-2019 at 09:50 PM. Reason: ...
post #128 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I beleive the average tank here that has problems could benefit from a leaner dosing regime, whether applied as EI or any other system, and that was the thesis for my post.
Your "thesis" IMO is not really very credible. It's based on your 1st and only tank. Although you read what other "Pros" do with their tanks what you don't understand is that those people are not like the average member's tank here, they are far more dedicated to the hobby, many make their living or supplement their living through their tanks and are going to spend more time with them For the average tank here, EI or whatever you call it, heavier dosing can work better since they can be away from the tank longer without running short of something. Not to say leaner dosing can't work for many members as well. So to make a blanket statement like that is simply worthless IMO.

BTW there are plenty of people that use EI type doing for hardscape heavy tanks like iwagumi, etc. The water change is there to reduce organics since the uptake is less with less fast growing stems. It reduces the ferts too, but primarily it's for the organics to keep the tank clean.

post #129 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
My apologies then if I misunderstood your opinions and advice.
You have helped many here and it doesn't go unnoticed, even though I can't credit you with the changes I needed in my tank I do recognize your efforts.

FWIW my quarrel is more with EI and Tom Barr theory and mostly how it is applied here on TPT rather than you personally so I removed my long diatribe it won't likely help anyone, least of all me, especially if it just looks like an attack.

I beleive the average tank(with lower stem density) that has algae problems could benefit from a leaner dosing regime, whether applied as EI or any other system, and that was the thesis for my post.
I appreciate that, and I have no quarrel with you (or your methods!).

And I agree, tanks with different goals require different dosing strategies (and light/CO2/etc.). There is no recipe I have seen yet that works in every situation. And that includes EI and the ideas proposed by the group you joined. An argument can be made that both are dogmatic in their beliefs.

The key to me is a willingness to experiment and find the right recipe for each tank and it's particular goals. There is no shortcut, and it takes more time and dedication than most realize (or want to take on).

Like I have said many times, show me a beautifully presented tank full of happy plants, and I am interested. The methodology makes no difference, and maybe there is something we all can learn from.

And when I say I am looking forward to seeing your next set up, I mean it. If it's successful, it might be very helpful to those with similar goals. So keep the updates coming.
Blacktetra and cl3537 like this.

------------------
post #130 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:40 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (485/100%)
See? Being respectful works!

Especially on a forum dedicated to keeping plants in boxes filled with water.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #131 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Somehow I got mentioned in this thread today but nothing is here to see???

Dosing can be tricky or not depending on source water used and plant load.

I've poured on the macros and run very lean micros.
Never really followed an EI method of dosing, always modified to my liking.
Note: It took a while to figure out what I wanted in my water.
Greggz, Immortal1, Leeatl and 1 others like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #132 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
Somehow I got mentioned in this thread today but nothing is here to see???
I didn't see it either but I am sure it must have been only the kindest flattering things!

And yes your dosing is much different than mine, and unique in many ways. I think maybe that's why I enjoy our discussions so much.
Maryland Guppy likes this.

------------------
post #133 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

Attached Images

Perpetual Preservation System
The most accurate Aquatic plant fertilizers

&

post #134 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
I would like this post but I'm lost?
Who kissed and made up?
Has something been deleted?

Always seem to miss the controversy.

Forgot I was @ work today when all of the action happened.
Greggz likes this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #135 of 137 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:11 AM
Planted Member

I just use copepods .....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode