125G Planted Bow Tank - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
For the solution you are creating, how much water are you mixing those weights of the various compounds with? Once you have that you can calculate the ppm based on the dose to the aquarium.
Were you able to get the KNO3 and CSM+B to fully dissolve? That's a lot of material for only 500mL.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Were you able to get the KNO3 and CSM+B to fully dissolve? That's a lot of material for only 500mL.
I never did CSM + B with macros, so I am no good there. Only o certain made a macro solution but didn't like it. Right now I dry dose the macros once a week (front load 100%) and do custom micros 3x per week from a pump bottle.
Phil Edwards likes this.

|

post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I am also not able to get the material to fully dissolve. I usually just shake the bottle vigorously before I dose the tank.

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillionaire View Post
I am also not able to get the material to fully dissolve. I usually just shake the bottle vigorously before I dose the tank.
Is that working for you?

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Is that working for you?
I guess it's going okay? I assume it's similar to actually dry dosing the tank. Do you foresee an issue with this?
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillionaire View Post
I guess it's going okay? I assume it's similar to actually dry dosing the tank. Do you foresee an issue with this?
If it's working, then it's working. The only issue I can see would be inconsistent dosing. Every time you shake it you're injecting some raw material into the tank without knowing exactly how much. If you're comfortable doing things as you are then it's all good and nothing needs to change. If you want a bit more consistency and control over the dosing, start playing around with small amounts of material and work your way up to a higher amount that will still dissolve. Make sure to keep good notes and use the nutrient calculator every time so you know exactly how much liquid you need to dose to get the concentrations you want while doing this. When it comes to liquids it's better to have a more dilute solution and have to dose more than the opposite. Keep in mind that KNO3 has a solubility of 242 grams per liter at average room temperature. 50 grams per 500mL would probably be a good starting point.

Regards,
Phil
Gillionaire likes this.

post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Another quick update as I have added additional lights to the tank.

I remembered that I had a 36" Fluval 2.0 on my QT tank and so I decided to add it the right side of the tank and take some par readings. After doing this I was getting PAR in the 130+ range and so I decided to order 1 additional 36" for the left side of the tank. Below are the par readings with the additional lights.

New light setup:
Left side: 2x 36" Fluval LED 3.0
Right side: 1x 36" Fluval 2.0 LED and 1x 36" Fluval 3.0 LED

Note, the below PAR readings are the highest reading I obtained at that location of the tank. I have all of the fixtures at 100%. After 1 week there doesn't seem to be any additional algae from the higher light. If I see some algae I plan on turning the lights down a bit.
Attached Images

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode