Not sure how to check how large my post is. If I did this wrong, please tell me so I can fix it!
Ok, so here's what I got:
10 gallon tank recently rescaped. New specs:
Low tech tank.
Aquaclear 20 with 2 sponge filters and 1 bag of bio media. I also have a sponge over the filter intake to help decrease clogging and protect animals.
Aqueon adjustable 50W heater. It's currently running around 74-75 degrees F
Cheap imagitarium air pump with an adjustable airflow valve. This can double as a sponge filter if needed as I have the attachment for it.
Light: Current Satellite Freshwater LED plus - does give me 5500 lumen. I had accidently bought a current satellite freshwater LED. I'm going to try to find a plug for it so that I have lighting front and back of aquarium. My glass lid has a black hinge right in middle and can make the lighting a bit uneven.
My tank is also placed next to an east window and does get some sunlight in morning. I may lower blinds a bit more as days get longer.
pH - 7.4 - 7.6. Due to the rock I just got, I am going to look into emergency measures on how to decrease pH if it goes higher.
Phosphorus - .25
KH - 4
GH - 9
Nitrates tend to be between 5-10.
Ammonia tends to be between .25-.5 - part of this is the tank is still relatively new (about 7 weeks old). Also, my water tends to run higher in ammonia at around .5. I use seachem prime, which can give a higher false reading. I've also only recently added more sponge media to increase bacterial growth within the last 2 weeks. Free ammonia, when checked with seachem's test tends to be below .2. I also will assess it with a calculator I found online. But I'm hoping the plants will help to also keep the ammonia down.
CO2 meter (fluval indicator) has been running consistently at - CO2.
Substrate - base is Seachem flourite black and regular flourite. there's more flourite black because that one was not as dusty. Most of top layer is seachem flourite sand due to loaches.
Amazon sword. I believe it is echinodorus amazonicus. Sorry for the sideways view. It's in the back now. Also I am working on a solution for the algae.
Aponogeton boivinianus - same for this. I'm researching algae, algae types, and how to combat it
Ceratophyllum demersum aka Hornwort - I am floating this.
Nymphoides aquatica - I just got this yesterday (2/23) and so far so good!
Marimo balls - my marimo balls are in a bit of a sad state. I had 3 large ones and I split 2 of them. so they're a bit raggedy.
Decorations: aquarium safe Tardis - the loaches love hanging out in Sexy. Naturally all 4 can fit because it's bigger on the inside
Pagoda rock - I just purchased this and found out it can increase pH slightly. I'm going to be monitoring pH more closely in next few weeks
4 Java loaches (Pangio oblonga)
3 Nerite snails - horned, tiger, and olive
unknown number of small malaysian trumpet snails
6 dwarf golden barbs (Pethia gelius) - these were added this past weekend.
As of right now, my biggest problem is algae. I believe I get hair algae, brown algae, spot algae. The snails do decent job on the glass and sometimes hit the plants. They also lay eggs constantly on glass and plants. (Nerite eggs won't reproduce in my tank since I have no salt due to loaches).
I'm still trying to figure out the best liquid fert setup. I used my last 2 root tabs when I changed substrate and plan to get more. I currently use API leaf zone and Seachem flourish comp. I usually dose once a week for full amount but am considering trying to do smaller, drop amounts throughout the week. I'm not sure yet. I do PWC anyway from 25-40% weekly though it's been a bit erratic lately due to having to dose the tank with general cure for the loach. He had skinny disease but he survived and has recovered beautifully. I also wonder if the barbs are going to spawn soon. I think they are showing spawning behavior. I don't plan to have a seperate breeder area at this point simply due to stocking of tank and just trying to figure out how my tank works., If eggs get eaten, that's nature.
The plan today is to figure out how to get the java moss to stay on the pagoda rocks to encourage them to root onto the rock. I'm going to look into getting the super glue gel or some cotton thread. I'm leading towards the gel only because I think it will be easier for me to do.