So, a larger update here it has been a couple weeks. Firstly a FTS to compare for growth however slow it may be.
I removed the floating plants as they weren't liking the HOB filter spraying them. Also adjusted the cabomba and trimmed some of it, as well as rotated the amethyst rock a bit to allow better spacing of leaves from the java fern and african water fern. The plants seem to have definitely adjusted at this point and new growth is seen on all plants now. the picture is with only one light on as with a new lighting schedule with one light on for most of the day and the other 2 on for full light for 7 hours. I think I will adjust this to 6 hours to prevent algae.
There's a lot to talk about on the algae front. I have green spot algae on plants and the glass, I have dosed phosphate in hopes of supplying the plants with what they need to out compete it as per suggestions I've read on other threads on here. Additionally I have green hair algae on the moss rock on the left of the tank and am currently unsure of what to do about that, with some quick reading I planned on decreasing light a little more as suggested above. I could also raise my lights a touch, up to a few inches, and tweak this over time I guess. And further more a tuft of bush algae on the short grassy stuff in the front left corner ( sorry I only know a handful of plant names). I may try to cut the tip off and take it out if it doesn't explode everywhere in the process. The BBA showed up and hasn't spread or grown since I've notice it a week ago or so...so I'm unsure what to do.
In other news I upgraded the tank filter to a aquaclear 50, will use the tetra 20-40 on the 20 gallon I got eventually.
Stock wise I now have 9 ottos(one passed), 13 ember tetras, 6 bronze cories, 1 nerite, and however many ramshorn and bladder snails. Recently acquired Ick when introducing new fish but the fish affected were the fish that were in the tank already... don't know if they were stressed by the addition or what happened. Been treating 2 times a day with kordon ick attack and recently using seachem stress guard to help them heal up and repel the ick, hopefully this combination works. Also did a 25% WC when most of the ick was falling off them to help get it out of there.
Besides that been dosing as per EI calc on Tom Barr's site, I wondered if my phosphates got low because I needed a larger first dose and then dose to maintain...not sure.
Once per week:
Seachem equilibrium 1 & 1/8 tsp
mono-potassium phosphate:1/64 tsp
Potassium nitrate: 1/4 tsp
Going to keep dosing my meds and the ferts and hopfully algae and fish make their respective comebacks.
In the mean time, been gathering materials and such for a 55, probably be a couple months to fill and stocking but hsould be very simular to this tank in set up, plants, light, and stock even. So figuring this tank out initially would help with that one.