Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Los Alamos, New Mexico
This week: iron not checked, dGH 7, pH 6.8, NO3 20 ppm, PO4 2 ppm. Again, just about right on, except I'm letting the water get back to its tap level of 5 dGH. I don['t know that high calcium is what is hurting some of my plants, but 5 dGH should be enough. I've also dropped using pH buffer as a phosphate source; that's another guess for the problem. So I ordered some monopotassium phosphate to replace it and some potassium sulfate to replace the rather impure garden potassium chloride I've been using as a potassium source.
Dosing plan this week: in 50% change water, Fe+trace to 0.5 ppm, phosphate to 2 ppm, Mg to 5 ppm, K to 10 ppm.
I bought some new plants: more vals, some tall alternanthera, and a melon sword. We'll see how they do. Meanwhile, the wisteria is good, the staurogyne are good, the crypts are good, the Java fern and moss just kind of sit, the anubias continue putting out many small leaves while collecting thread algae, and the old swords, old alternanthera, and old bacopa continue deteriorating. Odd mix of species doing well and those not.
I got a snail trap. It caught nothing but one of my SAE. I'll try it again with my own bait, not the rather unsatisfactory bait tablet it came with. I'm continue to pull out all the snails I can by hand.