55 gallon converting to planted - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water parameters this week: dGH 6, pH 7.2, NO3 20 ppm, PO4 1 ppm, iron 0.1-0.2 ppm

Dosing plan: The nitrate was right on target, so I'll dose to 5 ppm again. Phosphate is low; I'll dose to 4 ppm. Potassium to 10 ppm. Calcium is down again; will dose to 10 ppm. magnesium to 3 ppm. Iron is consistently testing a bit low, but the test kit is unreliable. I'll dose to 0.5 ppm as last time, give it an hour to mix around, and then test again, to calibrate the test bette.

Wisterias continue to bud out nicely. Vallisnerias on the right end of the tank are doing well. The others are showing some hints of recovery. The anubias are showing plenty of new growth, but I'm reflecting on what to do with them in the long run -- the old rhizomes are heavy with green thread algae, and something is still chewing on some of the new growth. Java fern not doing much. Swords doing almost nothing at all; they endured the Great Ich Outbreak with its abnormal conditions, and it seems like they're never really recovered. I may replace the worst off and see if the replacement does any better. Cryptocorynes doing fine. Bacopa doing very well, though I keep having to replant the occasional stem that comes loose. Java moss seems to be doing fine The alternantheras were doing fine but something tore into them yesterday, leaving them looking a big ragged and leaving a lot of torn leaf bits floating on the water.

Fish all look good.

Stupid the Cat tore the black styrofoam off the back of the tank. I've abandoned it, which necessitated scraping the algae off the back wall, cleaning some hard water stains from the exterior, and dusting the wall behind the tank. Oh well. It's fun to watch Stupid sit on the little table and watch the fish, occasionally batting at them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Water this week: pH 6.8, NO3 40 ppm, phosphate 2 ppm, iron 0.1-0.2 ppm, dGH 7.

Dosing plan: Nitrate is high. No nitrate in the change water. Phosphate right on target; dose to 4 ppm in change water. Potassium to 10 ppm. Calcium to 20 ppm. Magnesium to 7.5 ppm. Iron to 0.5 ppm.

Wisterias looking great. Vallisnerias on right end of tank looking great. Others are very slow to et going. Anubias looking pretty good. Java fern *may* be putting out some new growth. ONe sword is putting out some new growth. Cryptocorynes, bacopas, and stauras fine. Java seems to be settling in.

Fish all look good.

Stupid loves the tank. She did paw the light switch off one morning, but I caught it within minutes. The tank actually looks pretty good without a backing.

Alternantheras are just chewed to shreds. I think it's the clown loach. What is it about cats and ornamental plants? (Okay, I know, loaches don't actually belong to the catfish order. Still.)
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Been out of town most of the last two weeks. When I came back, the water wisteria was looking wonderful, and the Java ferns were sprouting adventitious plantlets from their leaf tips, but not much sign of other growth. I'm particularly disappointed the vallisneria haven't done much. The alternantheras are still chewed to shreds.

Water readings this week: pH 6.6, dGH 7, Fe not detectable, PO4 2 ppm NO3 20 ppm. Dosing plan: Change water to 15 ppm Ca, 5 ppm Mg, 10 ppm K, 0.5 ppm Fe+trace, 10 ppm nitrate, 2 ppm phosphate. I'm anticipating nitrate increase since I think my wife didn't feed the fish as much as I do.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This week: iron not checked, dGH 8 pH 6.6, NO3 20 ppm PO4 2 ppm. About where it should be.

Water wisteria thriving. Staurogyne doing well, Crypts doing well. Java fern showing some growth finally. Bacopa, vallisneria, Java moss just sitting. I'm particularly disturbed that the vallisneria aren't putting out any new leaves. Swords slowly dying. Alternanthera down to bare red stems. Anubias putting out many small leaves that shows signs of physical damage.

Dosing plan: Fe+trace to 0.5 ppm in change water, no nitrate, phosphate to 2 ppm, Ca to 10 ppm, 5 ppm Mg, 10 ppm K.

Will post on pest board about why some plants are thriving and some are not, and suspicions something is chewing on them.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This week: iron not checked, dGH 7, pH 6.8, NO3 20 ppm, PO4 2 ppm. Again, just about right on, except I'm letting the water get back to its tap level of 5 dGH. I don['t know that high calcium is what is hurting some of my plants, but 5 dGH should be enough. I've also dropped using pH buffer as a phosphate source; that's another guess for the problem. So I ordered some monopotassium phosphate to replace it and some potassium sulfate to replace the rather impure garden potassium chloride I've been using as a potassium source.

Dosing plan this week: in 50% change water, Fe+trace to 0.5 ppm, phosphate to 2 ppm, Mg to 5 ppm, K to 10 ppm.

I bought some new plants: more vals, some tall alternanthera, and a melon sword. We'll see how they do. Meanwhile, the wisteria is good, the staurogyne are good, the crypts are good, the Java fern and moss just kind of sit, the anubias continue putting out many small leaves while collecting thread algae, and the old swords, old alternanthera, and old bacopa continue deteriorating. Odd mix of species doing well and those not.

I got a snail trap. It caught nothing but one of my SAE. I'll try it again with my own bait, not the rather unsatisfactory bait tablet it came with. I'm continue to pull out all the snails I can by hand.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:58 PM
Algae Grower

I set a kitty condo next to my tank so my cats can watch my fish too, lol! That's awesome
kgbudge likes this.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Fe 0.1, pH 6.8, dGH 6, PO4 1, NO3 10-20.

Dosing this week: NO3 in 50% change water to 5 ppm, PO4 to 2 ppm, Mg to 5 ppm, K to 10 ppm, Fe to 0.5 ppm.

Bacopa may be slightly reviving. The new vallisneria seem to be settling in ok. No other big changes.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 04:21 PM
Algae Grower

Is the cat curious or hungry? :p
sittinglynx likes this.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by united natures View Post
Is the cat curious or hungry? :p
You know, I don't know. Certainly curious. She's well-fed so I doubt hunger is that important; probably it's more the hunting instinct.

Bump: This week: pH 6.8 dKh 7 NO3 20 ppm PO4 1 ppm

I probably need to take the phosphate to 3 ppm in the change water, NO3 to 5 ppm, Mg to 5 ppm, K to 10 ppm, Fe to 0.5 ppm.

Bacopa definitely reviving but it will take a while to really come back. Wisteria, staurogyne, crypts doing great. Vals too early to be sure, but I think a couple are finally taking root. Bacopa the usual lots of new leaves but lots of thread algae. Old swords still deteriorating; new one too early to tell. New telantherus seems to be getting established; old ones fading out. Java fern I dunno. Java moss I dunno.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've got to commend you on your consistent updating, it's been an informative read! I have one suggestion:

Go knock on the National Lab's front door, tell them what you're doing, and ask them for supplies. I'm sure they've got reagents/ferts that will be going out of date soon, have super pure water, and can refill a CO2 can for you.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode