Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
redoing an old tank

algae still strong
just added co2 and shrimp
fish surviving
changed gravel, eco complete and black diamond
Finnex planted plus 24/7 2 years

I'm trying to freshen up my old tank. I finally had it going great after being a noob. I left it in someone else's care, they didn't care lol, so it got bad and I finally moved it to my new home. I killed all the fish in the process of moving it, but had a ton of plants. I used all my old stuff and set it back up. after a week we added fish, some have lived and some have died but after about 5 months, I've got some good healthy fish.

I am having trouble getting the plants to thrive and have an algae issue. about a month ago I decided to do an over haul. I took out all of the old gravel and replaced it will 20lbs eco complete, and 100lbs of black diamond sand. I was hoping the gravel would help with nutrition, but no progress in plants. Today I added co2 on very low , 4 more guppies, another female beta and 16 shrimp.

I started co2 on low because of adding new fish, i don't wanna over pollute it. However I will bump up co2 in a week if plants dont get better.

Next goal is a new light, I want something that is automate cause I'm not that technical at programming lights. I'm looking for something like the planted+ 24/7 but bluetooth.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

not much to update, but after a few days of co2, I'm so happy to see a very nice red sprout from this plant.... I has looked so bad for the past few months. so I cut off the bad stuff to let this one shine

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Eco Complete is supplying nothing to your plants. They need fed, you're starving them.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Eco Complete is supplying nothing to your plants. They need fed, you're starving them.
think I should get root tabs? every few days I been adding excel too

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Get some dry ferts, they are cheap as chips and give you the ability to combat singular deficiencies. It will greatly improve your plant health if you get it figure out and dialed in!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo33 View Post
Get some dry ferts, they are cheap as chips and give you the ability to combat singular deficiencies. It will greatly improve your plant health if you get it figure out and dialed in!
got a certain brand I should look for?

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I personally have the NilocG range, found on their website. But there is also a GLA range of ferts. I cant speak for GLA, but it would be high quality I'm sure.
Have a quick look at some of the more experienced keepers tanks on here, like burr or greggz. See what others use. Then have a read on dosing.
Whilst writing this I've forgotten if you are injecting co2. If not then you will be dosing low tech amounts, which I think Tom Barr said to be dosed either at an 8th or quarter of the EI method. Once a week or something, my mind is failing me.
Advice, honestly just reading and absorbing info, but without the proper ferts etc you will get caught up with deficiencies and algae.
Sorry if I rambled.
lamyers3 likes this.

|
|
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Doubling up, apologies.
Yep co2 injected. So full EI or PPS method should be used.
Many many threads out there about these methods. Give them a read 🙂

|
|
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Doubling up, apologies.
Yep co2 injected. So full EI or PPS method should be used.
Many many threads out there about these methods. Give them a read 🙂
thanks, I just started the co2 for a few days now. I've already noticed improvement in the plants. I ordered new light that comes in today (fluval 3.0) I been adding excel, and the eco complete was just added last month... I will check into the what you advised, but it's all kinda new and I'm sure needs more time to level out.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Be careful with what eco complete promises, it doesn't quite do all it says.
It's all a journey, just be patient and take everything as a learning experience

|
|
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Be careful with what eco complete promises, it doesn't quite do all it says.
It's all a journey, just be patient and take everything as a learning experience
thanks! yeah it's all been one step at a time. just got the co2 setup, I'm happy with my subtract as far as texture, with using the black diamond, planting is easy. maybe in 6 months I'll try to redo the subtract. makes it sorta easy with black diamond being some cheap. I'll keep throwing in the excel. just got my new night tonight too!

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

new light

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

my old light hovered right over the water, with co2, I think it messed up my old lights.

I been searching for a new light and chose the fluval 3.0

honestly the 24/7 mode, and no controller to keep up with, is why I got it. I have not played with it though.

so to keep the light high, I unscrewed the top hatch of the wood hood and laid the light on the top. *fingers crossed on new light*

lamyers3 likes this.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

height on new fluval 3.0

Mike A. likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 06:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't recall how the Fluval comes at default settings but starting out you probably want to dim it down to < %50 and no more than about 4-6 hours at higher levels. You can scale things up if needed from there. Very easy to do using the app. Better to start slow and correct up/down as you go than having to recover from creating a mess with too much light.
lamyers3 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode