75gal Still Trying - The Planted Tank Forum
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
75gal Still Trying

Changing from a reef tank to a planted tank
Hey everyone on TPT, first I would like to thank those members who answer and give advice to us that are learning the details of a planted tank. Also thanks to the people asking the questions that I didn't know I needed answered.
Started reading posts about 6 months ago and decided to try a low tech dirted tank first. I had broken down my reef tank and sold all the livestock cleaned it completely and was ready to go. I added about 1.5 inches of nature topsoil that had been sifted, wetted down let dry twice, before wetting again and adding to the tank. Capped with about 1.5 inches of PFS. Filled with water and added plants over the next few days.

First picture is the fun part, playing in the dirt 11/24/17. Second picture after getting some plants in, no fish 11/29/17. (Missing second picture) Third picture is tonight, I have added 3 platy, 3 otocinclus, waited two weeks and added 6 rummy nose 12/16/17. Started dosing Thrive for the last two weeks, plants are growing with good color. Only had problem with the Cabomba losing bottom leave and coming up rooted. Need more plants... (One of the problems, I should listen to myself)
Thanks again
Butch
Attached Thumbnails

That was my intro post on TPT. The tank did ok for a while, some plants slowly growing, others showing good growth and the Cabomba slowly fading. This went on for about 6 months, adding some new plants here and there, new fish, but I slowly lost the desire to do the weekly maintenance needed. Just wasn’t see the returns I wanted. Before I started this tank I spent a lot of time doing searches on TPT trying to learn as much as I could and continued after starting the tank. But it just didn’t seem to be working for me…

Sometime back in September I started reading peoples tank journals. I was seeing how some had success early on, but most had to go through some bumps to start seeing results. Then I came across two journals that I slowly read through.

120 Gal Dutchy Freestyle
Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank

It took me about 3 months to completely read both journals and try to get an understanding of all the information within them. Somewhere along the reading I started getting the desire back. During December started applying what I was learning to my tank.

Changed my goals for my tank from a low tech to a high tech tank. Installed a CO2 system and now trying to get a better understanding on EI fert dosing (still need some work here) and got my maintenance back on track.

Need to work on my photo skills…

Thanks to burr740, Greggz and all those who have added to your journals, it has gotten me to where I'm at now.

Will do my best to update my journal
Greggz, ipkiss, chayos00 and 5 others like this.

Last edited by lamyers3; 02-07-2019 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Correction about pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Now that I have my journal started. Iím having some problems with BBA on the edge of leaves and the bottom of the S. Repens (I think that is the type of algae).

This has been a problem for a while. It did clear up when I first started the CO2 and EI dosing. I have been trying to stay ahead on maintenance, removing any algae covered leaves and any detritus I see has been removing also. Just reduced lighting period from 8hrs to 7hrs. Will spot treat with H2O2, some plants I can take out and dip treat. Going forward what Iím reading, if Iím correct, I need to up my PO4 a little and lower K, will start this after water change on Sunday.

Testing: (API)
Nitrate = +40
Phos = 4 or 5
GH = 7
KH = 2
pH with CO2 = 5.22
pH w/o CO2 = 6.34

Open to any help, opinions, directions or comments...
Thanks
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

Nice turn around, looking forward to more updates.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I could really relate to the part where you stated that you "didn't even know the right questions to ask" when you began with planted tanks. This is so true. The hardest part is learning what it is you need to ask, it takes awhile to build a foundation of knowledge to begin even here. Or, maybe just error. That "what do I do now" is the mother of invention, lol .

You tank is looking really fabulous- I can see that you learned a lot through reading those two journals.
Thanks for sharing your process.
Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

ďThink before you speak. Read before you think.Ē Ė Fran Lebowitz
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
What are you using for bulbs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies.

I have the ATI Sunpower fixture, 6 bulbs 48 inches. I'm only running 4 bulbs T5HO 54W, two each of the Wavepoint Ultra Growth and Vivoson 6500K. I also think this is part of my problem with the algae. This is on my list of things I need to do more research on.

The lights run for a total of 7 hours. Two bulbs turn on at 3 and ramp up for an hour to 100%, then at 9 they ramp down for an hour. The second set of bulbs start at 4 ramp up for an hour and at 8 ramp down for an hour. Just started this schedule on Sunday.
Greggz likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

It sure is a steep learning curve on keeping a planted tank growing right and looking good! I've been on the same journey for a while myself. Still fighting BBA as well, but I've been keeping it in "control" with a spraying of my tank during water changes and what wasn't exposed and sprayed gets a direct dose with a syringe to try to kill that too. Gotta find that happy balance for sure! Excited to see your journey progress!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Greggz likes this.

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Great start to a journal!

If you have any more spare time, Burr's original thread was the one that pretty much got me started, and you might enjoy it.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...n-journey.html

And always gives me a kick to see folks posting with the spreadsheet. I do believe it helps to get a snapshot of a tank.

So here's my random thoughts.

4 x T5HO is a lot of light. Not too much, but a lot. So you will need to be extra vigilant about everything.

I'm not familiar with Nilocg micros, but at first glance looks to be on the high side of weekly Fe dosing (especially in relation to macros).

Are you using RO water? Says so on the spreadsheet, but want to be sure. Are the numbers listed for Ca/Mg measured levels? If so, you might want to be adding a bit more Ca/Mg.

Your degassed pH at 6.34 seems low, like it's not fully degassed. Have you left a glass out with a bubbler for a day or two? Just saying, with KH of 2, would expect pH to be above 7.00. How are you measuring pH?

And all in all, a really nice start to the tank. I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop and fill in from here.

Remember, it is a journey, and there will always be some ups and downs along the way.

Keep up with the journal, and post more information about your set up and pics when you can. Looks like a tank to keep an eye on.

Subscribed!
Ken Keating1 likes this.

------------------
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks @Greggz

4 x T5HO is a lot of light. Not too much, but a lot. So you will need to be extra vigilant about everything.

My light fixture has the ability to ramp up and down, may need to increase the ramp times to lower the total time at max PAR. Did reduce the photo period to 7 hours.

I'm not familiar with Nilocg micros, but at first glance looks to be on the high side of weekly Fe dosing (especially in relation to macros).

You are correct. When I when back to Rotala Butterfly, notice I had double the dose, have cut it to 15mL from 30mL. I think I finally understand how to use Rotala Butterfly.

Are you using RO water? Yes, and will try upping my Ca/Mg at water change.

Your degassed pH at 6.34 seems low, like it's not fully degassed. Have you left a glass out with a bubbler for a day or two? Just saying, with KH of 2, would expect pH to be above 7.00. How are you measuring pH?

I did try degassing a cup of water, but may not have waited long enough. Will do this again. I use a pH probe, which I calibrated about a week ago, but will check it again. I get some pearling, but not a lot.

The tank is looking so much better than it did 6 months ago. I'm really enjoying the journey now that I have it pointed in the right direction.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 02:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamyers3 View Post
I did try degassing a cup of water, but may not have waited long enough. Will do this again. I use a pH probe, which I calibrated about a week ago, but will check it again. I get some pearling, but not a lot.

The tank is looking so much better than it did 6 months ago. I'm really enjoying the journey now that I have it pointed in the right direction.
I've found degassing seems to give accurate results after about 3-5 days, however I usually check the tank water from the previous week on the next wat change day, every Friday for me. Also pH pens are notorious for needing calibration each time it's used and put away. I bought a better $50ish one and each day I test it, even back to back days and it can be off by 0.1 with the calibration solution. So buy a big jug of the calibration solution, mine uses the 4.01 and 7.0, it can do 10, but I don't read that high and thus it's actually optional for mine

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Greggz likes this.

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info @chayos00, I will let it go longer this time to make sure it completely degasses.
chayos00 likes this.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update to tank:
So after letting the water degas for 3 days the pH measured 6.9, which about .5 higher than last try. The pH is dropping to 5.6 with CO2. The kH is still changing colors between 1 and 2 drops, maybe closer to 1 than 2. Thanks @Greggz and @chayos00

Reduced lighting for the second set of T5 by another hour, trying to get ahead of the BBA. Also trimmed all the effected leaves with the BBA. Mostly the S. Repen and Anubias, the Buce plants I was able to pull out of the tank and dip.
Notice my Telanthera cardinalis leaves are curling and the color on some the plants seem pale. Added Seachem Equilibrium to raise the dGH up 1 degree and a dose of 0.5g of DTPA Fe (11%).

Now the hard part, wait and see what the new growth looks like. I'm trying to learn how to read the plants and then respond.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice picture!

You have a lot going right there.

Keep up the good work, and looking forward to seeing where things goes from here.
chayos00 likes this.

------------------
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

Nice work! Keep those updates coming, look like you are onto something!
Greggz and chayos00 like this.

|

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update, wanted to do this last weekend, but was sick for the past week. There is some improvement with some plants and algae. But my hygro pinnatifda melted overnight on me and the crypto wendtil leaves keep getting bba. One good thing about being sick, was able to control myself from wanting to do something to the tank and just sit back and watch what was going on with the plants. Did add 100 micro sock, last Friday, to my sump trying to get to ultra clean tank. Was able to do my water change on Sunday and the new filter sock was already needing changed.
Caught about 10 Platies out of the tank and took them to LFS. Crazy think is I only bought 3 in the beginning and still have 10 or more in the tank, more thinning to come. Picked up 10 amano shrimp to help with continued algae control.
Going to do back to back 50% water changes this weekend to reset nutrient levels. My N is about 80ppm and P is 5ppm, per API test. Will measure after second water change and dose for N to be between 30 and 40 and keep P at 5. Test N this week to try and see what the plant uptake is. Not dosing K because of the amount that is added using Equilibrium, KNO3 and KH2PO4. Will continue micros dosing with Plantex CSM+B at the level of Fe 0.1 ppm per day with my auto doser.

My golds and want lists.
Tank Golds:
  1. Continue learning about dosing fert and effect on plants
  2. Tank maintenance, achieve ultra clean tankÖ
  3. Lighting, get new bulbs for better color and adjust for max grow with minimum algae.
Wants for tank:
  1. New bulbs
  2. Flow meter
  3. 2nd CO2 tank
  4. pH controller

Need to do a little trimming...

Greggz, chayos00 and KZB like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode