14 G BioCube Tank Reborn - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post 14 G BioCube Tank Reborn

I have been wanting a planted tank for a long time but I was never sure if I could convince my wife to let me spend the money. Well she agreed finally so we revived this tank from a failed attempt at saltwater tanks.

So I read through this site till my eyes glazed over from content overflow and decided that I would try the mineralized soil with a black fluorite sand cap.

For filtration I had discarded the bio balls a couple years ago so I'm using the inards from my filtration system from the 29 gallon I have in the garage. It should work for right now while the tank settles. The LFS owner suggested I use a canister filter so I'll look into that. Any advise is welcome. I'm kinda thinking of using a stage platform made with egg crate scafolding to slide in the middle chamber.

For CO2 I'm waiting on parts to get here for the Paintball canister conversion found in this forum.

For lighting I'm using only two of the three bulbs (modded hood for extra lighting) till I see a algea explosion then I'll cut it back to one. I would like to see if I can balance the CO2 and HO T5's on there and keep the algae in check but we'll see.

My starter plants are Thin leafed java fern, micro sword, star moss, xmas moss, and a plant I just picked up from the LFS and I need to go back to see what it was called(the plant in the back right corner).

Only extra thing I have in the tank is the drift wood which I wrapped together with spider fish line and have wedged in for now till it gets good and water logged and stops floating

Some questions I have is now that I have it all together I feel that I have researched everything under the sun in regards to starting it but now I'm at a loss for maintaining it. This isn't my first fish tank by any means but it is my first planted one.
With the CO2 in place will it basically run on it's on and require just some trimming?
What kind of critters do I need to keep the plants clean?
Is there a trick to getting the drift wood to stop bleeding into my tank?

With that said here are a few shots of my tank. I did a water change of about two gallons but that didn't do much to clear it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Noah Z from Central Washington

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fresh Start and trying to do it right

Lots of frogs

Last edited by yetti82; 02-18-2011 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Didnt flow right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question

So what plant or decoration would you add to this setup to make it pop?

Lots of frogs
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Be warned, most people don't believe star moss is an aquatic moss. It doesn't grow the same as aquatic mosses grow, and melts in a tank.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advise! Do you recall why it does that? would it do better in a non heated tank?

Lots of frogs
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Looking good. Once you can move your DW where you want it I bet you will be more pleased with the tank's appearance. I like finely textured stems like Myrio and fast growing sort of japanese looking pennywort to add height.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
AHHH! Did you already buy the flourite sand? I have 18lb's of it I need to get rid of and its pre-cycled and everything, plus we could meet up since you are close. Great tank, use the star moss in your terrarium, not good in aquariums. Can't wait to see this progress!

-Caton

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Looking good. Once you can move your DW where you want it I bet you will be more pleased with the tank's appearance.
Thanks, and I deffinetly agree it will look a lot better once it stops floating and I can arrange it in the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
I like finely textured stems like Myrio and fast growing sort of japanese looking pennywort to add height.
The Myrio and pennywort look really nice, I'll have to see where I can get some fill in the back side of the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canton
AHHH! Did you already buy the flourite sand? I have 18lb's of it I need to get rid of and its pre-cycled and everything, plus we could meet up since you are close. Great tank, use the star moss in your terrarium, not good in aquariums. Can't wait to see this progress!
Sadly yes I did but once these take off I want to move some of it into the 75 G terrarium to fill out the bottom to look more natural. Also playing around with the idea of making my 20 G long it a planted tank as well so I can see in the future that I will be needing some more black sand fluorite.

The star moss I moved over to the terrarium so I'm hoping it will do better over there.

And i can't wait to see the progress as well lol.

Lots of frogs
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Added my CO2 paintball setup today. I have it on 2 bubbles a second for now to make sure I don't over do it. Hoping this will bring everything to full blown. I dont have a diffuser yet or the guage but I have ordered both and hoping they come soon. Until I have the diffuser I have in the tube from the CO2 going straight into the pump hose so hopefully it should be ok for right now.

Lots of frogs
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was having a bit of an algea bloom so I picked up a dozen ghost shrimp and WOW did they ever clean everything up!

Lots of frogs
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hey man - I am curious as to where this stands now? I am in the process of cleaning a 29 Gallon Biocube from Saltwater for Planted purposes, Vinegar cycling through right now.

I am curious though - I have read in some smaller tanks such as this, you dont "need" CO2...what was the reason you went on the side of having it rather than not...I am far from a DIYer, so if can avoid would choose to.

Also - what have you found with the filtration. My LFS suggested the stock pump and Filter cartridges for Biocube would work great, as did another seemingly knowledgeable poster on this forum? What did you end up using and how is it working?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/50%)
any updates

Tags
biocube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode