4Likes
  • 3 Post By Leichardti
  • 1 Post By Leichardti

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Leichardtiís 6x2x2 Tank Journal

Early last year I setup a 6x2x2 in my bedroom with the aim of a fish display with light planting. This has changed snd now I am going for a medium - high tech planted with display fish.

The aim of this tank is to be as natural as possible, and to keep all plants and fish native to The Northern Territory in Australia. This tank is also meant to be highly DIY. I have built the stand, the cabinet doors, the sump, the reactor, collected the driftwood and have a few more things in the works.

Here id a photos of part of the tank at present time. I took this while trialling my LED.

PLANTS

Currently the tank is it in its juvenile stages. It is slowly starting to be planted up.
Current plant list includes:
3x Blyxa aubertii
4 pots x Pogostemon stellatus
1 pot x Limnophila aromatica
1 plantlet x Marsilea hirsuta
1x Hygrophila salicifolia
Moss list:
Native Stringy Moss
Kennetts Fissidens
Mini Sydney Fissidens
Fissidens Dietrichiae
Native Carpet Moss
Native Star Moss
Native Bushy moss

FISH

All of these fish can get quite big and aggressive for most peoples planted tanks. They donít bother the plants however and they have a heap of personality.

1x 20cm Coal Grunter - Hephaeustus carbo

1x 30cm Sleepy Cod - Oxyeleotris lineolata

1x 25cm Black Eel Tail Catfish - Neosilurus Ater

All of these fish are Northern Territory natives. The Neosilurus ater I had wildcaught and sent to me from Darwin, NT. I have had both the Sleepy Cod and Coal Grunter from 3cm.

EQUIPMENT

TANK AND DECOR
6x2x2 Ultraclear Front and Sides
2 Holes Drilled - Rear Left Side
DIY Stand and Cladding
3D Background
Large 6ft piece of driftwood
WA River Stone
River Sand capped Propogation Sand
Everything about this tank has been a score. The tank itself I picked up off a marine guy who was selling up for $150AUD
The 3D Background was free. I found a 6x2x2 on someones verge. My mate came and picked up the tank and gave me the background.
The 6ft piece of driftwood I found while on holiday. When on holiday in Northern WA I noticed a piece of wood sticking out of the sand at a beach. Some digging later and a 20cm stick turned into a 6ft log. It enjoyed the 10h trip home and then soaked in a pond for about a month, then in another tank before it went into this one.
The river stone I collected myself from a local river. There isnt much difference between this stone and the northern river stone.
Here is an old photo from when I first setup the tank and had halides and a canister.

FILTRATION
4x1x1.5 Sump
3500l/h Return Pump
12kg Scoria & Filter Wool
Filter Socks
This sump isnt very traditional. It has novtrue baffles and instead the media is divided bt siliconed sections of eggcrate. Over time I will be buying Poret Foam or similar for more mechanical filtration, and some more scoria for biological filtration. It is highly porous, extremely cheap and has worked very well for me. I will also be upgrading the return pump to something with a bit more power in order to have dual returns on either side of the tank for Co2 distribution.

CO2
9.1L 6kg Co2 Cylinder
RedSea Regulator and Solenoid
pH Controller (Coming Saturday, broke current)
Not the fanciest setup for Co2 by any means but it certainly works. I was using an UpAqua pH Controller, however I just recently broke the probe so this coming weekend I am picking up a new Weipro controller and probe which should do the trick.

CO2 REACTOR
20inch Blue Water Filter Housing
Customised PVC Fittings
Cerges
This reactor I made out of a 20 inch water filter housing. Not a new idea by any means but works very very well. Due to the size of the middle port I had to modify a piece of PVC pipe to fit. This just consisted of cutting it to a bit shorter than the height of the reactor, holding 3 inch or so of one end over the stove to soften it (not too soft however, only just) and pushing it into the port. This worked perfectly and once hardened successfully created a grove, essentially meaning it just clicks in and stays in firm.
The Co2 inlet is just a poly barb with a hole drilled. I forced a threaded 5mm barb into the hole, threading it in.

[censored]

LIGHTING
DIY 144w LED Pendant
5 Channels of Control
Compact Size
3D Printed Enclosure
I designed my own LED pendant for this tank with my own custom LED Diode layout.
The entire pendant only measures about 10x12cm, the light source is only 2x2cm.

Channels
1 - 5x 6500k
2 - 4x 660nm 1x 6500k
3 - 2x 520nm 3x 6500k
4 - 4x 470nm 1x 6500k
5 - 5x 6500k
All of these channels are PWM Dimmable and I am working on a controller for them, based off an Arduino Mega 2560.
Colour mixing is very good with no disco effect in sight. Just white light with good colour representation of the fish and plants.
As this was a trial unit I didnít particularly worry about CRI however being high bin Cree diodes it should be decent.

I will be building more of these in future for both my tank and a marine version for my mothers marine 4x2. As time goes on it will be becoming much smaller. The marine ones Iíll be making will be 10x6cm with external drivers.
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4ebzwrbRDE&feature=youtu.be[/media]

STAND / CABINET
Built by me again!
I designed and built the stand and cladding for this tank. It has been designed undersize by about 16mm on each side so that the cladding is flush.
I built the stand itself using 2x4ís and some plywood for the tank to sit on and the floor. Plenty of screws later and some extra beams on the front to be flush and you can see the final result. This is a very, very strong and solid stand. It has been spray painted white.

Cladding
The cladding for this tank was made using 16mm MDF 60x90cm bought from Bunnings. After cutting down to about 80cm tall the boards were prepped and painted semi-gloss white and then edge banded. Instead of using hinges iíve attached magnets to the stand with plates on the doors, so that they can just be removed.
I since regret both the white cladding and the magnets. At some stage I am going to completely redo the cladding (no edge banding) and use hinges. Currently liking the traditional dark grey colours seen on all the ADA style tanks.

FERTS
I am making my own ferts using dry powders and chelated trace mix. Currently going with the EI Regime underdosed due to the low plant mass however I will increase as the tank gets planted up.

That brings us to present time with the tank. This journal will be the home of any updates on the tank and I will update every time something changes. Hopefully soon I will be all fully planted up.

Cheers
Keelan
Greggz, Thelongsnail and tredford like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Really love this, I wish my floorboards could stand a tank of this size...

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Thelongsnail
Weíre on a concrete slab so fortunately can support whatever really.
If you really wanted to, would you be able to add extra supports?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Leichardtiís 6x2x2 Tank Journal

Yesterday I picked up a new native plant, Potamogeton crispus.
Iíve been trying to obtain this plant for about 3 years, even though it is a native. Itís meant to be a very good grower so hopefully growth explodes.
Placement is temporary, I will be moving it more to the rear as when it grows it has a lily pad form that grows on the top of the water. Hopefully Iíll be able to incorporate that into the tank - you dont see lilies in tanks often. Plan is that it will protect the moss a bit from light intensity too. The halides previously over the tank burnt it a bit.

This has gotten a bit long for a single update for one plant but Iím absoloutely chuffed to have it. As you can see it has quite a veiny leaf, very similar to madagascar lace.
tredford likes this.

Last edited by Leichardti; 02-03-2019 at 01:59 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode