• 2 Post By moonwasaloon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Moonwasaloon 55 Plant Journal

Moonwasaloon 55 Plant Journal

Good Afternoon Everyone!
This is the biggest tank that I ever had, and excited to finally have some room to work with. Before I had the 55 gallon setup, I only had a 12 gallon Fluval edge ( what a pain in the ass to plant) and a 10 gallon tank, so the 55 gallon feels like an Ocean to me right now! I started the tank around 1/1/2019, and have been taking it very slow with adding fish and plants, but Iím now readying on turning this into a full on planted tank. I recently purchase my co2 Regulator, a Co2 Art Dual stage Regulator, and was able to have it install on 1/26/2019. Iím going to be doing my first water change, and then will start dosing with Aquarium co-op easy green, and hope the plants take off.
Iím currently using my Samsung S7 for picture and videos, but need to upgrade to a better camera to take better photo of the stocking.

Aquarium setup

Tank: Aqueon 55 Fish Tank

Stand: Imagitarium Brooklyn Metal Tank Stand Ė Very Helpful since the tank is in my basement, and my house is unleveled. The leveling feet helped a lot to get the leveling correct!

Substrate: BDBS

Lighting: Current Serene Freshwater LED Kit (Model 4027)

Light information:

From what I have been told, this light should be around Low/Med Light.I may in the future add an additional beamworks light if I feel I need additional light.

Filter: Eheim Ecco Pro 2236, with sponge on intake. Inside the filter, I have two stages of lava rock, one stage of coarse filter media and seachem purigen. And one layer of just poly fiber to polish the water.

Heater: 300 Watt Viaqua Heater. I also have a 200 watt Viaaqua Heater in the tank, but currently unplugged. The tank is in the basement, and unsure how well the one heater will handle when the basement temperature drops. Both Heaters are being controlled by an Inkbird temperature controller.

Co2: Co2 Art Dual stage Regulator. Currently using a 60 mm Precision co2 Atomizer, but having issues with it leaking. Iím working with nilocg to replace this, and going to upgrade to inline co2 atomizer.

Ferts : Aquarium Co-op Easy green

Fish (1/29/2019 Stocking)
3 ArcherFish
3 Albino Bristlenose Pleco
1 Koi Angel
2 Pearl Gourami
3 Boesemani rainbowfish
1 Bolivian Ram
6 Albino Cory
2 Garra rufa
2 SAE

I know this may be overstocked at this time, but I will probably remove some fish as time goes on. The centerpiece fish at this point are the archerfish and the rainbows.

Plants: (1/29/2019 Stocking)
Crypt Pink Flamingo
Crypt Hudoroi
Crypt Wendtii Ė Red
1 -Aponogeton Madagascar Bul
1 Ė Mystery Aponogeton bulb
Ludwigia Sp Red
Ludwigia Arcuata
Rotala Rotundifolia
Mermaid Weed
Staurogyne repens
Blyxa Japonica
Bolbitis heteroclite
Mini Bolbitis ( Baby Leaf )
Wisteria
Hornwort

I know the plants seems to be all over the place. These are all trimmings that I had from other tanks, and Iím seeing what grows and what doesnít. I most likely will be removing the Wisteria and Hornwort, as they will end up starving the other plants of Nitrite

Plants looking to add :
Ludwigia Senegalensis
AR Mini
AR Mini Varieg.
Myriophyllum 'red stem'

I want to try to get some red into the tank to balance out the color, so it doesnít look 100% green

Photos

Video:

Please provide any advice you can to improve the tank. I know it looks like a mess right now, but working slowly on it!
sittinglynx likes this.

A Good Idea

Is a Good Idea Forever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm a recent and very happy convert to BDBS and that's a great start.

If you're looking to inject CO2 I'd say that light looks to be a concern out of the gate as you should only have about 30par at substrate which may limit your planting options and keep some plants from looking or doing their best. If you plan to keep lightly planted that's less an issue of course.

For fish I've had Koi Angelfish, Albino Bristle, and Pearl Gouramis in longstanding tanks and love all those fish.

NEW 75g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OLD 75g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OLD 29g Journal:

TPT says I'm an algae grower... I'd like to think of myself as one hell of a Cabomba farmer.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I keep seeing misleading what par levels equal what.

From this thread:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ar-values.html

What par level do you consider low, med and high? If i were to get a second light, what would you consider?

A Good Idea

Is a Good Idea Forever

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I mean, whether it be on the high end of low or the low end of medium my main point is that with that PAR level CO2 isn't *needed* for most plants that can grow with that PAR. By injecting CO2 you're opening the door to a lot more possibilities but without better lighting I feel you don't have the ability to walk through that door.

If you stay LED (which I like), you have Beamswork fixtures that should double that PAR at a cheap price, with the offset being they are very low on features. If you want to go a higher cost the Finnex 24/7 Planted+ seems to be a pretty awesome option and really allows for a lot of control.

Back when I started my old 75g tank I used a pair of Home Depot Diamond Plate 4' fixtures and they worked well until I upgraded to LED. Of course then your only options are on and off, but it'll certainly be the least expensive option (at least initially).

NEW 75g Journal:

OLD 75g Journal:

OLD 29g Journal:

TPT says I'm an algae grower... I'd like to think of myself as one hell of a Cabomba farmer.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Which Beamswork would you get to work with the current light?

I dont mind spending money to make up for the current light i have on the tank. The light system was a xmas gift from my wife, so I don't want to not use it.

A Good Idea

Is a Good Idea Forever
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There is a Beamswork thread here, I'd search that out, as well as a thread with some PAR data for two units. I'd look at that and mostly see which configuration would give you the look you like best since I *think* output on the units is roughly the same.

NEW 75g Journal:

OLD 75g Journal:

OLD 29g Journal:

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would just get another of the same fixture. That would be 70 par which is quite good, and you have full adjustment of both.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I reviewed the beamswork thread, and I think i have a better understanding.

There are two 48" lights I can get:

Beamswork 48" DA FSPEC .5 Watt
Beamswork 48" DHL 1 Watt 6500K

The FSPEC gives a better color, and better PUR but less PAR then the DA 6500K 1 Watt.

I feel like i should got with the DHL 1 Watt 6500K to get the best Par i can get. My current light has RGB bulbs that I can adjust. The problem is , its sold out everywhere?

A Good Idea

Is a Good Idea Forever
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I purchase a fluval 3.0 as a secondary light. That should provide me enough list for the whole tank

A Good Idea

Is a Good Idea Forever
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quick Update Photo. I need to post a complete update.

Greggz and sittinglynx like this.

A Good Idea

Is a Good Idea Forever
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Well looks like it has come a long way so far.

Looking forward to hearing more about what's been going on with it.

------------------

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode