180 Gallon Community/Grow Out Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 187Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
180 Gallon Community/Grow Out Tank

This is the first time I am posting photos of my tank. I really wanted my tank to look better before sharing, but perfection will never be achieved as there is always room for improvement. Time to join the journal train and share some of my experiences and receive some help as well.

Special thanks to my friends @OVT, @Discusluv, @Botia dude, and @Ken Keating1 for all the plant contributions at the Sacramento Plant Exchange. You will notice that many of your own plants are now in my tank.

I describe this tank as a Community/Grow-out tank. It was never intended to be a fully scaped tank. It's focus is providing a happy home for my fish and a means to determine what plants grow or do not grow well with my water conditions (no luck with Mermaid Weed). I will be using these plants in my next two builds (54 gallon corner and 60 gallon cube). Those tanks will (hopefully) be more thought out and well scaped. Once I get those done, then this one will get a scape.

Tank:
- 24x24x72 inch exterior volume 180 gallon.
- Estimated water volume is 165 gallons taking into account glass thickness, substrate volume, space at top of tank, and volume of water in filters.

Substrate:
-~1 inch Eco-Compete (relatively inert despite the name)
-~1.5 inch BDBS (completely inert, but looks great IMO and is easy to plant in)

Lights:
- (1) SB Reeflights Freshwater Basic 16" (165 watts)
- (1) Fluval Aquasky Bluetooth 2.0 24"
- (2) Fluval Plant 3.0 24"
- (3) Cheap and somewhat generic 24" lights that came with the tank (National Geographic branded)

Filters:
- Fluval FX4 (pump output 750 gph - estimated at 450 gph filtered output [taking into account resistance and head height])
- Fluval 404 (pump output 340 gph - estimated at 250 gph filtered output)
- Additional filters (1) Fluval 404 (backup), (2) Fluval 406's (intended filters for my next two builds)

CO2:
- (2) 5# tanks (second tank is for swap out)
- VWR 0-125 psi 2- stage lab regulator with Diyco2regulators.com after body kit (this will be upgraded soon [another thread])
- RMA-151 flow meter
- in-line diffuser connected to output of Fluval 404.
- 30 psi with indicated 25 cc/min on flow meter.

Ferts:
- NilocG PPS-Pro Dry Ferts. Mixed at recommended ratios into macro and micro dosing bottles. 30 ml of each mix on alternating days.

Water Changes:
- As this is a very large tank. I have it as automated as possible.
- 2 gallon per hour (48 gallon/day) continuous drip with tap water running through a carbon filter (change filter monthly).
- Syphon overflow that returns to a wash basin in my laundry room on the other side of the wall.
- 50% water changes ~monthly.
- Prior to doing the automatic drip water changer I was always struggling to keep on top of my nitrates levels and it really was becoming too much work. At that time I was no tech with just Anubias.

Known Fauna: (no particular order)
- (2) Dojo Loach (my favorite due to their activity and how affectionate they are. Not ideal for planted tanks though)
- (2) Dwarf Gourami (the most colorful, but shy)
- (4) Bosmani Rainbowfish (second favorite)
- (1) Unknown Rainbowfish (not very colorful. Possibly a female)
- (2) Pictus Catfish
- (3) Denison's Barb (Rose Line Shark)
- (1) Tri-Beacon Pleco (extremely shy. I have to hand feed him in his stump hidey hole as he never leaves it)
- (6) Long-tail Leopard Danio
- (10-12) Otocinclus
- (6) Cory Catfish
- (4) Angelfish (Zebra and Gold mix are a mated pair and Marbled and Koi are the other mated pair [Both pairs have raised eggs to wigglers]. Will have to try to provide a tank to let them raise their young. Their maternal and paternal instincts are amazing.
- Quite a few unidentified fish. (Most of which came with the tank) [Any assistance identifying fish is appreciated].

Known Flora:
- This is where my knowledge is severely lacking (Notice I am using common names)
- A R Mini
- Ambulia
- Pearlweed
- Brazilian Pennywort
- Trident Java Fern
- Mermaid Weed
- Dwarf Baby Tears
- Spiral Vals
- Rotundifolia
- Rotala Green
- Marimo Moss Balls
- Various Crypts
- [Help needed in identifying other species]

There are far more unidentified plants than the ones I know. I have a label maker and I think I may need to start sticking names on my tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FTS.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	876391  

Name:	Left Side.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	876393  

Name:	Right side.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	876395  

Greggz, ipkiss, OVT and 8 others like this.

Last edited by AguaScape; 03-03-2019 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Glad to see you've started a Tank Journal and it looks like you're off to a great start! Plus I see lots of beautiful fish!
Greggz and AguaScape like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:28 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
10x better than the first journal I ever started!
Greggz and AguaScape like this.

post #4 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Beautiful! What a great tank!
Look forward to your list of fish. You knew I would say that, didnt you
I can see some Angels in there that are pretty spectacular
AguaScape likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
post #5 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Placeholder #1

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Beautiful! What a great tank!
Look forward to your list of fish. You knew I would say that, didnt you
I can see some Angels in there that are pretty spectacular
Yes. I did suspect that you would be more interested in the fish than the plants. Just for you, I will be adding my fauna before I add my flora. I know more of the fish I.D's than the plants. Lol. Going to have to do updates tomorrow though.
Discusluv likes this.

Last edited by AguaScape; 01-27-2019 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Edit
post #6 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Placeholder #2

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
10x better than the first journal I ever started!
Wow! What a great complement from the famous burr740. I will be contacting you soon to get one of your fert packages. I may be getting a few plants as well. Your tank journals were an inspiration for me.
post #7 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 04:43 AM
Algae Grower

Wow nice tank
AguaScape likes this.
post #8 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 05:31 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Check out that photo bombing Dojo loach! The two in your tank are my favorite and they must be at least 6" but with personalities of 6'. With your total water capacity my selfish plan is to use you as my plant bank. I'll take my interest in Manzanita.

Your menagerie make the tank alive, the plants are just fashion accessories.
post #9 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Check out that photo bombing Dojo loach! The two in your tank are my favorite and they must be at least 6" but with personalities of 6'. With your total water capacity my selfish plan is to use you as my plant bank. I'll take my interest in Manzanita.

Your menagerie make the tank alive, the plants are just fashion accessories.
The Dojo's are my favorite as well. They have a tremendous amount of personality. You are always welcome to farm my tank for whatever plants are in my bank. We will work out details on the Manzanita . There is only one piece that is off limits as you already know. I feel the same way on my tank though. The fish are the stars of the show. The plants just provide extra eye candy and make for a better environment for my fish to thrive.
post #10 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Now that's the way to start a journal!

And 180G is jumping right into the deep end......I like it!!

Looking forward to seeing where this goes from here...........subscribed!

------------------
post #11 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Subscribed! Great start to the journal and so much room for activities! I love the SBReeflight at the center of it all. They're fantastic lights for plant growth.
Discusluv and AguaScape like this.

post #12 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I see a couple Diamond tetras in there

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
post #13 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:12 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaScape View Post
Water Changes:
- As this is a very large tank. I have it as automated as possible.
- 2 gallon per hour (48 gallon/day) continuous drip with tap water running through a carbon filter (change filter monthly).
- Syphon overflow that returns to a wash basin in my laundry room on the other side of the wall.
- 50% water changes ~monthly.
- Prior to doing the automatic drip water changer I was always struggling to keep on top of my nitrates levels and it really was becoming too much work. At that time I was no tech with just Anubias.

Known Fauna: (no particular order)

- (6) Cory Catfish
I take it chlorimines aren't an issue for you? Perhaps I remember you may be on well water from a previous post...

If you can snap a pic of a cory we can identify which species you have. Bigger school of them would look fantastic roaming that huge tank
annabel1066 likes this.

post #14 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:32 PM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great start @AguaScape. 180 gal you have lots of potential in this set up. Especially with a guy building the ultimate co2 regulator. I cant wait to see where you take this tank. Have fun with it, I'm subscribed.

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory
post #15 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 08:27 PM
Algae Grower

Awesome way to start the journal! I'm curious to read a more detailed description of you automated water change system. =D

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode