5gal Low Tech Shrimp Tank *Picture Heavy* - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Modesto
Posts: 69
5gal Low Tech Shrimp Tank *Picture Heavy*

Been lurking here for about a month or so and thought I would start a journal of my 5 gallon. And hey, its' my first post too. The tank has actually been setup for 6 months now but I am just, as of my water change today, starting to get serious about adding fertilizer to try and combat some algae growth that is taking over my anubias. We'll see how it goes.


Hardware
Marineland Portrait 5-gallon tank (built in filter in the back just running sponge and filter floss)
Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Led lights
Mr. Aqua aquarium soil
Some driftwood bought from Amazon


Flora
Green Cabomba
Dwarf Anubias nana
Petite Anubias nana
Moneywort
Hornwort
Fissidens Nobilis Moss


Fauna
Crystal Red Shrimp (5 of which 1 survived. Couldn't tell if it was my new tank or the shipment)
Red Cherry and Yellow Goldenback Shrimp (7 pulled from my son's tank that has a good breeding colony going)
Phoenix Rasbora (6 added in December of '18)


With the use of Aquasoil and R/O water my ph hovers around 6.8 during the day and drops down to around 6.2 by morning before lights go on. If I let water changes go for longer than a week ph starts dipping down to 6.3 during the day and 5.8 at night (lowest I've seen it). I use Equilibrium to reconstitute the R/O water.

So here was the tank at initial planting. Light's were on for 12 hours a day at this point. Didn't have much problems with algae. Maybe a little brown diatom. No shrimp or fish at this point.


Here's the tank 4 months in. No fish, just shrimp. Cabomba had slowed it's growth and turned yellow. Green algae growing well on sides of tank (about every 3 days I would have to scrub)




At the end of 5 months in I just started dosing Excel and starting to see a difference in the Cabomba. Can't tell from this pic but green string algae (I don't know the proper names) and a fuzzy green algae had started to grow so I backed off lights to 10 hours/day. The Rasbora's had been the tank for about a month now



Here's a good shot of the shrimp and you can see the algae growing on the anubias



And here it is as of today. Been dosing Excel for about a month now and really seeing a difference. Also with today's water change just added my first does of NiloCG ThriveS.


And we will see what the ThriveS will do about my algae issues

Last edited by pauld738; 01-30-2019 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Image links not working
pauld738 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 04:55 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 10
Nice setup!
Brandon splendens is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Modesto
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon splendens View Post
Nice setup!
Thank you!


So I test my nitrates again today. Just curious how the ThriveS has affected the tank and they are at zero! It's a brand new API test kit so I'm hoping that it's not bad reagents. Water is crystal clear and glass has no algae growth. ph was down at 6.0 this morning with a high of 6.5 when I left the office this evening. It was at 7.0 right after I did the water change. I put in another dose today. I'll test again tomorrow and see what's up.
pauld738 is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 04:22 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 42
Picture links are broken.

AquaMaxx Cuboid 9.1 + ONF Flat Nano + Shiruba XB-303
ADA Mini M + ONF Flat Nano + Shiruba PF-120 HOB
UNS 3N + Chihiros RGB+ Azoo Mignon 60 HOB
ScrubbyDick is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Modesto
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrubbyDick View Post
Picture links are broken.
Weird... You looking at this with Edge or IE by chance?

I just looked at this thread with both Chrome and Firefox(not logged in) and they work with those browsers. I'm using Google Photos. Looks like I will need to look elsewhere to host images.

**Check that. I was logged in. Thought I wasn't. Apparently Google Photos doesn't like linking to my collection.**
pauld738 is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Modesto
Posts: 69
So fixed the link issue. And found a couple images where I tried to get one of the red cherry shrimp with babies back in November.




ScrubbyDick likes this.
pauld738 is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Modesto
Posts: 69
2 Days. Double the amount of dosing ThriveS and still no nitrates. Tank water is actually turning color with all the ThriveS I'm putting in. Here are my tank parameters...

temp: 73F
ph: 6.1 (end of photo period)
tds: 327 (299 yesterday)
kh: 1
gh: 8
nitrate: 0

I am using RO water with Equilibrium added with a starting TDS of 210.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what is going on? Do I work on getting nitrates up to help combat the algae that is growing?
pauld738 is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
AquaAurora's Avatar
 
PTrader: (36/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: south eastern PA
Posts: 5,571
Nice setup, but isn't hornwort illegal in Ca because ts so prolific if it gets loose in the waterways?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AquaAurora is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Modesto
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Nice setup, but isn't hornwort illegal in Ca because ts so prolific if it gets loose in the waterways?
Had to look that one up! Hornwort is native to CA so no problems there. Maybe you were thinking of Anacharis?

Funny that the Hornwort came from Indiana (Aquatic Arts) though.

I only picked up the Hornwort so I could have some kind of floating plant to make my Phoenix Rasboras more comfortable. For a mid to top dwelling fish they were spending awful lot of time down at the bottom of the tank.

Tank as of last night. Still no nitrates.

Immortal1 likes this.
pauld738 is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
AquaAurora's Avatar
 
PTrader: (36/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: south eastern PA
Posts: 5,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld738 View Post
Had to look that one up! Hornwort is native to CA so no problems there. Maybe you were thinking of Anacharis?

Funny that the Hornwort came from Indiana (Aquatic Arts) though.

I only picked up the Hornwort so I could have some kind of floating plant to make my Phoenix Rasboras more comfortable. For a mid to top dwelling fish they were spending awful lot of time down at the bottom of the tank.

Tank as of last night. Still no nitrates.

Ah ok didn't know it came from Ca.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AquaAurora is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Modesto
Posts: 69
So I'm using RO water exclusively for this tank. I was under the impression that Seachem Equilibrium was all that was needed to balance the water. With my KH being at 1, possibly lower, I'm thinking that was not quite right. Last Thursday I did a water change and this time I added and 1/8th of a teaspon of Baking Soda to the new water.

Hornwort has some nice new growth I haven't seen in awhile and the Fissidens Moss has a bunch of new growth. My phone has trouble with these close up shots but you can see the algae growth in the background and the new growth up front.



Of course the Hornwort is growing like a weed and even the Cabomba has shoots growing to the surface after 3+ days.



My dry ferts finally came in and I'm anxious to start dosing KN03. Start tomorrow. Was able to test GH/KH today but not nitrate. They came in at 6 dGh and 1 dKh (possibly lower). The pH is now 6.2 in the morning before lights on and tops out at 6.5. Also going to try dosing some more baking soda to see were that leads.
tredford likes this.
pauld738 is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:11 PM
Planted Member
 
Mike16T's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 199
That light is pretty strong for your setup just to let you know. Without you running CO2, you are going to have hard time getting rid of those algae. It's all about balance if you want an algae free tank.. Also, maintaining a consistent parameters is key. Too much change and adjustments can trigger algae growth also.

Here is my 2.5 gallon nano setup in my office desk. It's a low tech setup. Just a simple HOB filter, heater, and low/med LED (Got it from Ebay). I dose liquid ferts once a week (2ml), 2 ml of Seachem Flourish Excel once a week, 1 party cup size water change once a week. All plants are happy and growing healthy without any issue(s). 98% algae free on this tank. This is a very easy tank to take care off compare to my high tech tank.







Since you're using RO water, you might want to use KH/GH booster and try to keep it consistently. If your tap water is soft, no need to use RO water for your cardinas. Although, those Cardinas can also survive and thrive with medium water.

Good luck.. ^_^

Last edited by Mike16T; 02-12-2019 at 04:15 PM. Reason: grammar
Mike16T is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Modesto
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike16T View Post
That light is pretty strong for your setup just to let you know. Without you running CO2, you are going to have hard time getting rid of those algae. It's all about balance if you want an algae free tank.. Also, maintaining a consistent parameters is key. Too much change and adjustments can trigger algae growth also.

Here is my 2.5 gallon nano setup in my office desk. It's a low tech setup. Just a simple HOB filter, heater, and low/med LED (Got it from Ebay). I dose liquid ferts once a week (2ml), 2 ml of Seachem Flourish Excel once a week, 1 party cup size water change once a week. All plants are happy and growing healthy without any issue(s). 98% algae free on this tank. This is a very easy tank to take care off compare to my high tech tank.







Since you're using RO water, you might want to use KH/GH booster and try to keep it consistently. If your tap water is soft, no need to use RO water for your cardinas. Although, those Cardinas can also survive and thrive with medium water.

Good luck.. ^_^
Thank you for responding and very nice tank! I love how you have the plants setup. And of course the shrimp are nice too. I see you feed them. I was thinking that my feeding of the shrimp in the tank was contributing but I've since realized that, as you point out, it is an imbalance in the tank that is causing the issues. I know feeding can be one such imbalance but it's probably something else.

Not sure what you mean by too much change. The algae problems started before I changed anything. I wasn't adding anything to the tank in the beginning. Plants responded for the better after I started dosing ferts.

I'm using RO water precisely due to the fact that my tap water is hard. I have lived in areas were tap water is soft and it is so much nicer to maintain a fish tank that way. And I did mention that I am using Equilibrium. I was hoping that my last post would explain that I now realize that Equilibrium does not boost KH. So now I am adding some baking soda to bump that up a bit. Since I have done that the Cobamba and Hornwort have taken off and my anubias have thrown out new leaves.

And I still find it amazing that I can't keep nitrates in this tank to save my life.
tredford likes this.
pauld738 is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 02:06 PM
Planted Member
 
Mike16T's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 199
How many times do you feed your shrimps? I feed mine once a week and just small amount.

What I meant with with too much change is adjustments with ferts, water parameters, etc... Not just adding plants or something like that.. =) But one of your major issue is your light is too strong for that type of setup. Without CO2 and the amount of ferts that your putting in is contributing a lot with algae growth. Have you looked at Nilocg's KH and GH booster?

What kind of medias did you put in your back filter?


Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld738 View Post
Thank you for responding and very nice tank! I love how you have the plants setup. And of course the shrimp are nice too. I see you feed them. I was thinking that my feeding of the shrimp in the tank was contributing but I've since realized that, as you point out, it is an imbalance in the tank that is causing the issues. I know feeding can be one such imbalance but it's probably something else.

Not sure what you mean by too much change. The algae problems started before I changed anything. I wasn't adding anything to the tank in the beginning. Plants responded for the better after I started dosing ferts.

I'm using RO water precisely due to the fact that my tap water is hard. I have lived in areas were tap water is soft and it is so much nicer to maintain a fish tank that way. And I did mention that I am using Equilibrium. I was hoping that my last post would explain that I now realize that Equilibrium does not boost KH. So now I am adding some baking soda to bump that up a bit. Since I have done that the Cobamba and Hornwort have taken off and my anubias have thrown out new leaves.

And I still find it amazing that I can't keep nitrates in this tank to save my life.
Mike16T is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Modesto
Posts: 69
You know... Now that I think about it. In the beginning I had some office mates who were particularly pushy about feeding the shrimp and I would cave in every time. So it was about every other day during the week. No one is around on the weekends. That has since stopped! So I'm thinking that was atleast a catalyst that started everything.

But there was something wrong besides that. Cabomba shouldn't be yellow like it was. Moneywort didn't look right. That's what prompted me to post on Monday. The moneywort had new growth over the weekend that looked like so much better than before. That might be difficult to see in my poor cell phone photo.

Now about the light. I'm not sold on it being too bright. Not yet atleast, lol! I know that wattage doesn't tell the whole story but what wattage is your light?

Fyi, it's been a week since I have scrubbed the front and sides of the tank with no algae growth on the glass as of today and even then there wasn't much there to scrub last week when I did my water change. There is no algae growth on the wood at all (the moss loves it though). Just on the anubias, fissidens and moneywort. Trying to prune that now.

My filter is a sponge filter with filter floss on top. Filter floss gets tossed once a week. Sponge may get a squeeze in old water change water once in a while. Filter floss does a good job of keeping it free of debris.

About NiloCG GH and KH booster... check out this thread that just started up. Very interesting stuff especially yesterdays and todays posts. NiloCG is very close to Equilibrium and as I've stated already I am now dosing Baking Soda for KH. Soon to be rolling my own after reading this thread, lol!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...-boosters.html

**Edit: Still no nitrates

Last edited by pauld738; 02-14-2019 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Still no nitrates
pauld738 is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beginner's Guide To Discus KyleT Fish 176 03-29-2019 07:09 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome