Well, after losing ALL of my fish during a 4 days power outage a month ago I've started up a brand new 29g once again. Dreams of a 75g were too large for my house, so I am back to this more manageable size.
I'll be reusing my "old" Fluval 206 (including old media), finnex 24/7, Seachem Black substrate and Eheim Jager heater (150w).
I've "painted" the back black with Plastidip. Took roughly 1.5 can worth and about a day to lay on layer by layer but is totally worth it.
For the stand I purchased a 29g Ameriwood Home Aquarium Stand
in "rustic oak" from Amazon. I wanted something with the wood look in my home since it's a center piece of furniture everybody
wants to enjoy around here. The fluval 206 fits perfect inside and it's hiding all the cables and tubing nicely from the view...and my daughter (she's 1.5 years old).
Day 1: We're cycling!
- Used Seachem Prime and Stability last night on the initial fill-up. Will be adding plants hopefully tonight or tomorrow. Fish once it's all cycled and ready.
- Rock on top of the wood is temporary until it soaks up and sinks.
Update 1/26/19- Plants are in!
- Microsword up front. Will have to trim them down but plan on using then as foreground grass.
- Wisteria back left.
- Anubias left side on the hill in front of the rocks.
- ? back right - bunch stem plant - reddish color.
Update 2/10/19 - First fish and some snails added! Wisteria changing shape.
- Picked up a Gold Ram. I'm told they are just a color variation of the popular Blue Rams. Its coloring at the moment is very dark- hopefully just stress. Hopefully it's not too early in my tank cycle to be adding it but my water quality was looking good.
- Wisteria plants in the back corner is changing leaf shapes to what I expected Wisteria to be like in the first place. I heard the leaves you see now ("spikey" shaped) are how it grown when submersed. So the assumption is it was not originally grown as such. I'm happy to see it this way!
- Brown diatoms started to show up en mass a week ago, so I ordered a mesh bag and put in about 1/3 cup of Phosguard. They have all started to die off and are falling off the rocks when. Easy to vacuum up!
- Added a nerite snail and some assassins.
Update 2/18/2019 - Stocking, fighting brown diatoms & started injected O2
- Added a small school of 8 lemon tetra's
- Brown diatoms are being persistant. I've added Phosguard which helped but I suspect I need to stop fertilizing for a bit.
- Injected CO2 has been added.