First Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Woogi
  • 1 Post By Woogi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Planted Tank

As I mentioned in my intro post, I am 'converting' a 100 gallon that formally ran on an FX-5, and kept some community fish as well as some very light, very hardy, very few plants, to a full time, sump based planted tank. I have had the idea rolling around in my head for almost 5 years since the tank was taken out of service for my move. As of Thanksgiving, I slowly started the process, by unpacking the tank setup, building two over flow boxes for the rear corners of the tank, drilling 6 holes (three in each corner, 1 return, 1 drain, 1 emergency drain). Then after starting to build the 20L sump, I went to place it in the stand, only to find out it wouldn't fit through the opening. SO began the process of a new stand build!

Here we are today, almost 2 months later, and I am almost ready to bring the stand and tank inside! Getting supper excited. Just wanted to start this thread, and I will be posting some questions/ideas for you all to critique, and provide feedback!

More Photos Here
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6jvL88NK3oqyZaPv6
Greggz likes this.

Last edited by Woogi; 01-22-2019 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Minor changes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Current thoughts on:

Substrate
Was thinking of running a 'dirt a tank' setup with some Miracle grow Organic Potting Soil, with some fine black diamond blasting sand on top (about 1.5 inches each?)

Lighting
This is where I could use some feedback! This is a 60x18x20 tank, with a 10 inch wide glass divider at the top. Does the glass need to stay/is it required/structural? I am aiming for the upper end of "medium" which seems to be around 60 PED? And from what I can tell, 60 PED on a 20" tank is going to be tough/$$$? My current thought is to use four of the 30" BeamsWork DA FSPEC LED, two on each side going from tank edge to middle glass. Thoughts?

CO2
Current have a 5lb bottle with a generic regulator and solenoid. On the old setup, I just used a bubble counter and Fluval diffuser in the tank. Unsure what I am going to do on the new setup, but likely some sort of inline diffuser.
Greggz likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode