Ventchur's 25g Cube - Planted Tank Journal - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 279Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just got back from a week long trip..

Things have grown in a little more, and so has some algae. Did a minor trim removing decaying/bba leaves, a 50% waterchange and 2 days later did a 90% waterchange with a little h202 spray action. The bba had started to grow on some of the wood/rock surfaces and even on individual grains of sand. It's not too bad but i'll keep my eye on it.

Last edited by Ventchur; 06-02-2019 at 02:53 PM. Reason: quality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is phenomenal - I'm really jealous. I've been struggling with my cube tank.
post #18 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGambit View Post
This is phenomenal - I'm really jealous. I've been struggling with my cube tank.
Thanks man, cube crew!

post #19 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredford View Post
+1. I am also curious about this, as I have noticed a few of these on my H'ra. I assumed either damage due to fish, or maybe a nutrient def leading to increased fragility, as my tank is low tech and I don't measure all the micros, but your tank seems to be in top shape and still getting some. I'm interested to see if anyone else has experienced this or has any insight.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ld-leaves.html

Been reading this thread and will be looking into adding Seachem Equilibrium to the mix.
tredford likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Stems are starting to look great after the trim last week.

- Bought 7 more ember tetras to add to the shoal
- Bought 2 SAE's to help out with minor algae

Some examples of the bba thats growing currently. I'm confident with the hydrogen peroxide/SAE combo i'll have it knocked back eventually. Already seeing slight improvements.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ventchur; 06-02-2019 at 02:54 PM. Reason: quality
post #21 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 03:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventchur View Post

Some examples of the bba thats growing currently. I'm confident with the hydrogen peroxide/SAE combo i'll have it knocked back eventually. Already seeing slight improvements.
Are you spot treating with hydrogen peroxide or doing a general treatment?
post #22 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGambit View Post
Are you spot treating with hydrogen peroxide or doing a general treatment?
Just a spot treatment spray before a water change.

post #23 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Just a spot treatment spray before a water change.
You have a beautiful tank and a talent for aquascaping and growing plants, you are inspiring me(maybe in the future) to tear down my 17g 'green' and start over.

In my limited experience, scrape/scratch off BBA off hardscape works best, I've seen George Farmer use a steel brush in tank but I like using an algae scraper or just my nails. Physical removal > Chemical Removal.

If its just a little on plants I give up and just remove the plant I can't stand seeing it. Also good idea once you scrape to vacuum/WC right after you don't want BBA pieces/spores resettling somewherelse but if its just little clumps I try to just scrape them off with my nails.

post #24 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
You have a beautiful tank and a talent for aquascaping and growing plants, you are inspiring me(maybe in the future) to tear down my 17g 'green' and start over.

In my limited experience, scrape/scratch off BBA off hardscape works best, I've seen George Farmer use a steel brush in tank but I like using an algae scraper or just my nails. Physical removal > Chemical Removal.

If its just a little on plants I give up and just remove the plant I can't stand seeing it. Also good idea once you scrape to vacuum/WC right after you don't want BBA pieces/spores resettling somewherelse but if its just little clumps I try to just scrape them off with my nails.
Do it! A 17g isn't too bad in terms of rescaping plus its nice to see a freshly planted tank fill in again.

I'll try out the scraping method next waterchange, i've got a spare toothbrush I can use. The H202 method is a tried and true though, give it a try. As long as you don't overdose, a couple sprays leave the algae turning red and it either disintegrates or gets eaten. When I was testing it the only problem I encountered was it melting small new leaves on the buce and melting the mini pelia when directly applied.

For example,

I took out this clump of buce on a rock and gave it a spray on two occasions and soon after it looks like this

After a few days and its almost completely knocked back
ScrubbyDick likes this.

post #25 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Do it! A 17g isn't too bad in terms of rescaping plus its nice to see a freshly planted tank fill in again.
I agree with you before I do I want to grow out some plants to put in the new scape. But I definitely will, I want a lower maintenance scape for next time. Everything I have in my tank is annoyingly high maintenance so I have learned from that mistake. Stems cannot be just trimmed back at the top or they branch and look ugly,(Rotalas, Pogostemon Erectus). MC needs to be trimmed biweekly I need to learn to cut it much lower and just accept it might be yellow for a week or two after.

Growing plants is no problem but aquascaping is a learned skill combined with a talent for it which you have.
Quote:
I'll try out the scraping method next waterchange, i've got a spare toothbrush I can use.
Sometimes a toothbrush isn't enough, you might need a steel brush,it will get off a lot of green algae but BBA is stubborn.

Quote:
The H202 method is a tried and true though, give it a try.
Well I most only get it on dead things like my wood or stems in poor health, overall I have had so little I could scrape it off. Agreed if I had large epiphytes I'd have to consider using H2O2 it as replacing a Buce would be costly.
Quote:
As long as you don't overdose, a couple sprays leave the algae turning red
The coolest way I learned from George Farmer, lower the water below the plant or hardscape with BBA area and paint with H2O2 using a paint brush let it sit 10 minutes and then you can refill, WCs help as well. Probably the safest way to save the plant from damage if done carefully.

post #26 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
The coolest way I learned from George Farmer, lower the water below the plant or hardscape with BBA area and paint with H2O2 using a paint brush let it sit 10 minutes and then you can refill, WCs help as well. Probably the safest way to save the plant from damage if done carefully.
George Farmer is a legend, love his content.

post #27 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:21 AM
Algae Grower

Great looking tank! Are those Harlequin Rasboras? They look a lot more golden than I'm used to seeing them.
post #28 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman6983 View Post
Great looking tank! Are those Harlequin Rasboras? They look a lot more golden than I'm used to seeing them.
They look like very well fed Espei Rasboras.

post #29 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman6983 View Post
Quote:
They look like very well fed Espei Rasboras.
Espei Rasboras correct, in the picture they look golden but in person they're orange. There was actually only two of them in there with the ember tetras and unfortunately one jumped recently. RIP

post #30 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:07 AM
Plant Lover

Beautiful tank! Subscribing.

29 gallon, pH controlled CO2, Current USA + Pro LED, Eco-complete, Eheim Classic.

20L gallon, same configuration with HOB filter, suffering from tank size envy.

Tags
co2, cube, fern, moss, rotala

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode