my first first tank, 15 gallons - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
my first first tank, 15 gallons

Hello all,

Here is my first fish tank, it has been almost 8 months since inauguration, fish have died (90% death due to them jumping out of tank, a rummy nose tetra once jumped out and hit me in the face while I was looking at the tank), plants have died, gallons have spilled from my canister filter(newbie) and from my open air tank (I always fill to the rim for a clean look).

I have the privilege of being 10 minutes walk from the Hong Kong fish street, so I get the healthiest, and cheapest fish/supplies anywhere in the world. I love this hobby, and this forum. This forum has been of great help.

I travel often so I wanted slow growing plants without co2. I had a diy co2 setup, but the bubble rate was too inconsistent, and I didn't want my plants to grow fast. The plants currently in there are the ones that have stay alive. At first, I bought whatever plants that looked good at the store since they were cheap. Some melted, some straight up died within a week, some grew way too fast.

Equipment:
Cheapo 15 gallon acrylic tank
30W T8 Dazs(HK brand I think) hanging light
Fluval surface skimmer (just bought this because of the nasty protein film issue, the skimmer is amazing)
Hydor 10 Canister filter, big enough for a 40 gallon tank, and cost me only $30USD

Fish, I have a lot of fish, but the big filter does a great job:
8 cardinal tetras
10 mosquito rasbora (a couple have jumped out)
5 pygmy cories
8 celestial pearl danios
4 otos (tried keeping them at several occasions, they would live for around a month and die)
1 zebra nerite snail
~6 cherry red shrimp (they too seem to do okay for a while, but slowly die out)

Plants:
java fern
variety of moss
i don't know the names of other plants

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

that is amazing for a non co2 "low maintenance" tank, good work
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
That looks very good! I also cannot believe that this is a non CO2 tank!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow!!What colors. What ferts are you using? What is your substrate.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 05:29 AM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
wait non co2?!?!?! VERY NICE!!! i like your grass plant and i believe it is cyperus heferi...how does that plant grow? by runners or no? if buy runners then its a vals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you guys!

These are the plants that have survived my current lighting, and with no co2. The grass plant in the background on the left, that is actually only 2 weeks old, but so far it seems to be doing well. I believe it is by runners, it is currently in the pot and wool it came in.

The substrate is like small rock pebbles (newbie mistake). I plan on getting a better than (perhaps a tiny bit bigger), and getting some Fluval Stratum soil (people say there is no ammonia leech with that stuff, since I must swap tanks on the same day with my fish/inverts, I cannot have ammonia leech) in a couple of months. My current cheapo tank has a scratch right in the middle, and I'm not a fan of the curved corners.

I dose Flourish, when I am home. I just started dosing Flourish Excel, though I am doing it just to get rid of the hair algae, or trying to. I am surprised the red plants grow okay with no co2 and pebbles as a substrate. Most of the plants in there are the ultra easy plants, so no ferts or co2 is required. The more difficult plants have died a long time ago inside my tank.

I still have diatoms in my tank, I bought my first nerite snail last week, it cleaned the entire tank of diatoms in 3 days, I nearly cried.

Thanks for the complements guys, this forum is full of great people like yourselves!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks guys for the complements, what a great forum we have here!

Nice 75g tank problemman, I love your netting on top, it looks great. My 6 deceased rummy nose tetras would have appreciated that.

The grass looking plant on the left seems to grow by runners, I actually haven't taken it out of its pot/wool. It has been two weeks and looks like it will survive. Thanks for giving me the name, it looks to be the correct plant! Now I can find out on pruning techniques, because it grows fast.

The substrate is actually just small pebbles, I was new to aquariums, didn't know about soils, or even black flourite. I plan on swapping tanks (to a tank a couple inches higher and longer, without the rounded corners like my current cheapo tank) this summer, I will probably get some black flourite or the new Fluval Stratum soil that supposedly will not leech ammonia like ADA soil.

I actually do not have any regular fert dosing regiments, but when I am home, I would dose Seachem Flourish twice a week (around 3ml total per week). I just recently bought some Flourish Excel, sole reason being to combat the hair algae. It has been 4 days, the hair algae definitely toned down a bit. Too bad the cherry shrimp, otos, and the nerite snail don't seem to touch the stuff.

The flora are basically the plants that managed to survive in my tank, of course, most of it are mosses, java fern, and other easy to grow green plants. I have thrown away many plants that just couldn't survive, good thing plants in Hong Kong are cheap.

Two of the best investments in my aquarium so far:

Canister filter because they are quite and can be hidden in a cabinet for a clean look

Surface skimmer to get rid of the disgusting white protein film I always get, but not anymore, crystal clear water on the surface.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Perhaps having a siesta period would help with the hair algae? It helped me with string algae. Basically have a period of 3 hr at noon with no lights. Result lights on 4 hrs, off 3hrs, on 4hrs.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestion Hilde, I currently set the light timer to:

Light on: 9am-12pm
Light on: 4pm-10pm

So that is 9 hours of light, however, the hair algae only occurs at the top where the moss is attached to the driftwood. So the moss up there is getting too much light. I can turn one of the fluorescent tubes off, but my plants have been growing quite decent at 2wpg, I don't want to mess it up. I will first try the Excel, if it doesn't work, then I will turn one of the light tubes off.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef View Post
the hair algae only occurs at the top where the moss is attached to the driftwood. So the moss up there is getting too much light.
How about just putting something over the area to create a shadow?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode