My new 40g breeder low light. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
My new 40g breeder low light.

So now I am an official member of the 40g breeder pimp club lol. I currently have a 20G and 3 10G's going so I am going to use all the flora and fauna from these tanks and sell the setups on CL, should make some decent money back

the 40 seemed like a popular footprint so I picked one up off of craigslist for $40 bucks (just the tank and a cheap DIY floro light system the guy had rigged)

Here are the specs

40g Breeder black trim
Real nice dark maple (reddish brown) finished custom built stand that I got off CL for $70
Eheim 2213(spraybar) and Fluval 304 (lilys)
Hydor 150W heater (is this enough?)
4 bags Eco-Complete
1 36 inch 96watt coralife floro with legs, no lid on tank.
Will dose seachem flourish, excel and potassium.

Flora list to come, mostly anubis, java, moss,rotala, ludwiga, crypts, stargrass , swords, dwarf hairgrass. It will be very heavily planted.

I also have some awesome branches I got from plantbrain on here, as well as some lace rock. I am still undecided on the layouts for those items.

Fauna is still unsure, I have been playing around with a few combos, maybe you guys can chime in on some additional fish. I am def. gonna have..

19 rummy nose tetras
10 dwarf cories
1 clown pleco
1 pearl gourami
4 ottos
8 nerites
MTS
8-12 RCS (they will be fine in the plants)

I have room for way more fish but I am not sure what to go. I was thinking another school of harlenquins... or... rainbows? rams? apistos?

I will get pics as this comes together, for now all the parts are laying in my room, where the tank is gonna be, waiting for the weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Apistos and Ram should look real good in your tank. We need pictures!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Would apistos and rams be able to live together?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Most people would say no. I did have them live together in my 75g for a while but then they started to clash. I moved my apistos to another tank. You really don't want to mix to many different dwarf cichlids in the same tank though. I was always told, "Pick one".

Some might have had more success though. I really wouldn't chance it.

I will say this though..... My RAMs and Pulchers don't bother each other at all!

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish View Post
Would apistos and rams be able to live together?
not in a 40. I would look for a pair of Apistogamma macMasteri. BEAUTIFUL

GONE HUNTING
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oooo i do like the look of those Apistogamma macMasteris. I was also considering some rainbow fish. I haven't kept any fish bigger than, well, rummy's before so I kinda like the idea of a bigger fish to look at. I guess the pearl will be big tho.

Will the pearl gourami be okay with any of these other fish?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
I really like the Apistogramma borellii. Rainbow's of course will be fine. I'm not really sure about the pearl gourami though. I really don't see why not. I would think that they would keep their distance. I could be wrong though..... I know gourami's can be semi aggressive.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
I really like the Apistogramma borellii. Rainbow's of course will be fine. I'm not really sure about the pearl gourami though. I really don't see why not. I would think that they would keep their distance. I could be wrong though..... I know gourami's can be semi aggressive.
pearl gouramis tend to be on the peaceful side. check out the moonlight gourami as well!

GONE HUNTING
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 04:05 AM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
i really have to say that pearl gouramis are one of my favorite gouramis. i dont have them at the moment but im planning to get some maybe soon but idk. i also love the gold honey gourami. they are on the small size being that they are dwarfs but they are super nice and calm and flashy.

on the note of apistos. if you are really leaning to get a dwarf cichlid you need to have a well established tank even more so for the rams. i currently have 5 rams and a pair of apisto aggazzi and a unknown apisto in my 75 and they are all just fine with the occasional chase but dont do that much anymore. the big thing when pairing dwarfs up is weather they are cave spawners or open spawners. a pair of rams and a pair of cockatoo cichlids would work okay in a 40 breeder ( i did this in mine) as long as you have some flat stones on one side for the rams and a cave for the cockatoos on the other. if they decide to breed.

following this tank as your our latest member to the 40 BREEDER PIMP CLUB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I finally have it cycled and going. My stock so far is

11 Rummies
9 harlenquin rasboras
6 otos
1 clown pleco
1 pearl gourami
2 bosami rainbows
1 Australian rainbow
2 neon rainbows

I am going to leave it at this level for awhile and see how the bio load is. I will add rummies if I can.

Everyone gets along fine. The pearls were real curious about the rainbows when I added them bit they all interact and have no troubles yet. I am somewhat worried about breeding time.,.. stay tuned for details on that!

Last edited by Phish; 03-09-2011 at 06:43 AM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 05:39 AM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
The tank looks fantastic! Totally in love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode