10 Gallon Tryhard - The Planted Tank Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 Gallon Tryhard

Okay so I'm very new to this forum and have mostly just been lurking around, being extremely intimidated in general by everyone's AMAZING builds. Oh my gosh you guys have so many beautiful scaped tanks and stands and builds and I am just in awe of the level of thought and intelligence that you lot put into these tanks. In the past I've just kind of chucked plants in a tank and it worked out pretty well for me, had some nice nanos for bettas and after a 3 year break I'm starting up again.

I just got my shipment in from BucePlant today and went ham putting stuff in.

This is a super low-tech tank, I will not be adding CO2 so I picked stuff that can do without, also I do already dose the tank with potassium twice a week (had the swords and bolbatis a while ago) because plants in my 5 gal were showing deficiencies and I would rather not have those issues with this tank (assuming it has to do with my water). Also considering dosing with excel.

Basic stats from the newbie:

Equipment

Aqueon Quietflow 10
50 watt Aquatop heater

Substrate
Eco Complete/Flourite black sand mix

Plants
Echinodorus Amazonicos
Echinodorus Parviflorus
Anubias Nana
Anubias Lancelota
Bolbitis Heterocilia
Sagittaria Subulata
Cryptocoryne Parva
Lamandau Mini Purple Buce
Nymphaea Tiger Lotus
Homalomena Insignis

Livestock
None yet, planing on a betta and perhaps hasbrosus cories, still unsure

I'm well aware that the swords will outgrow the tank, but I have no problem with that, I'll just pull em out and replace them later. This is my first experience with buce and I just kind of have it wedged in crevices on my mopani piece... The sag I recieved is REALLY tall so I plan on trimming it later to encourage a carpet of sorts (unless the crypt pava does better). I am a bit concerned about the lotus, shipping was really hard on it Not really sold on the current placement of everything, so suggestions are very welcome.

How the heck do you inset pictures into the post itself? All I can manage are attachments :/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190112_213242_resized.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	875585  

ipkiss and RCB like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 06:32 PM
Planted Member

To insert pictures, you need to upload the picture to an image hosting service. I'd recommend Imgur.

Once the picture is uploaded to Imgur, you would copy the "Direct Link", come back to this site, click "Insert Image" and paste the direct link from Imgur.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I tried that with no luck, maybe image size was too large? After posting this I saw the sticky about images so I'll try that too I guess

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Don't worry, we're all tryhards here.

Your tank looks nice now and will look even better after filling in. Looking forwards to seeing it with livestock too

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:47 PM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongsnail View Post
Don't worry, we're all tryhards here.
You got that right. Just a matter of getting into routine. And patience patience patience.

To the OP the tank is looking good, I really like the drift wood and plant placement.

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys <3

I'm no stranger to patience lol, I grow orchids and teach middle school :P

As for stock, I went to an LFS today and they had some really nice pygmy cories, thinking about getting a small shoal of those (once the plants are more filled in) but I'm a little worried that the eco/sand mix would be too rough on them :/
chicken.nublet likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 12:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Welcome! Been tryin hard for over a decade. Still fun. Hope you find successes along the way to keep you here! Remember, oh fellow orchid keeper, this is "gardening" too. Just under water. You'll probably run into more than just a few of us terrestrial gardeners in time.
chicken.nublet likes this.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I get easily excited and I was really afraid I would lose the tiger lotus after it dropped all of it's leaves due to melt/not shipping well and I am happy to say it has survived and is producing tiny baby leaves! *happy plant mom face here* (also I figured out how to insert images!)

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank is finally complete in the way of decor, plants are doing well, one of the swords is doing a little better than the others, likely because it's in a more high light area. The tiger lotus is looking good, getting larger every day, tons of little leaves that are showing a lot of red surprisingly enough, I hope they stay that way. Been dosing 1/4 doses of Excel daily (.25 mL) so I'm thinking that has something to do with it. All the pieces of dwarf sag have produced at least 2 new leaves since planting so it's slowly starting to fill in. Very little melt overall, even the crypts are doing well with only a few yellowing/melt leaves.

FTS

New glass unicorn, the spirit of Mielikki is finally here! For non-D&D people, Mielikki is the goddess of nature and the forest and her common manifestation/icon is the unicorn. Mielikki is also a Finnish pagen goddess of the forest and the hunt. (My office is unicorn themed, and I thought this would be a classy way to tie the tank in)

Tiger lotus

ipkiss likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick update and FTS

New fish, black/red HM giant <3 This is the best I could get of him for now (please excuse the water drop marks)

And FTS update

Did a trim of some of the sag in the front to encourage lower growth, keeping the stuff in the back long for now as an experiment. Everything is exhibiting new growth, and the lotus leaves are between greenish brown and red, one leaf is REALLY red, but it's the closest leaf to my desk lamp which is probably giving it a little extra light, I also the the homalenia is trying to grow a new leaf, but I'm not 100% on that, kinda hard to see at the angle it is.
RCB likes this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
wow. that glass unicorn is a nice piece. I did a double and triple take on the image you posted and then had to read your description to realize what it was. I like how it's ... ethereal .
RCB and Shifa like this.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you! It's actually really high quality, when I first got it out of the shipping package (it was triple boxed) I just stared at it amazed, it really is quite beautiful.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 03:09 AM
Planted Member

Looking good, I'm sure the Betta thinks it's a paradise.

Really glad you pointed out the unicorn, I was wondering what the shiny patches were (!)
Shifa likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 03:16 AM
RCB
Algae Grower

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
Looking good, I'm sure the Betta thinks it's a paradise.

Really glad you pointed out the unicorn, I was wondering what the shiny patches were (!)

Me too.
Shifa likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Decided to experiment a bit and got a pack of topfin "live plant bulbs" to try to see if anything will grow. I'll be keeping a close eye on them so they don't rot and ruin the tank, it'll be an experiment so we'll see how that goes if anyone is interested in the things. I've heard both good and bad about them so it's worth a shot, only 5 bucks for 4 bulbs so I'll take it. Supposedly the plants are: Nymphaea lotus "green" (water lily) Crinum thaianum (water onion) and 2 Aponogeton ulvaceus

Also bought some Staurogyne Repens to see how it does, here's hoping I know it's generally a higher light, more demanding plant than what I currently have stocked, but figured I'd give it a go anyway.

Did my first round of .5mL Excel today to start off the week so multiple things going on lol, upping the dose a little to see if that affects growth at all.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in