Grobbins 40 Breeder Planted (Previously 40 Breeder Blackwater Journey) - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 527Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The parenting that is happening in this tank is extremely impressive right now. Mom is all over the babies, who are already quite adventurous. It is exciting to watch her change her body language and how the babies will all react and follow her around. She keeps moving them around the tank to different spots every so often, and will not let anyone (well dad is okay so far), not even the oto's, get close to her little ones. When a few get too far away she takes them in her mouth and brings them back home. She has quite the touch! Reminds me a little of the African Cichlid days!

Even dad, who I read was supposed to not care about raising the young (for agassizii at least I read) is defending the area from the pencil fish (who really are not seeming interested in eating anyone) and the oto's (the most peaceful fish ever...). He lacks a little with the careful touch when trying to move the little ones, so he better leave that to mom (hes not eating them, but in true dad style is a little rough with the kids and too young an age, ha).

I know it is only day two of having the little ones, and there is quite a while to go for this to be successful, but it is an amazing experience to watch nature like this happen in your home!
Greggz, chayos00, Nlewis and 2 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Mom and dad continue to protect. Still have over 20 fry hanging around. These little ones seem like they will be slow growers for sure.

Really moving around the tank as a unit, exploring quite a bit.

I did add a few more leaves to stimulate some more microbe growth.

Picture with mom and dad protecting. And you can see a few fry to the left. Super difficult to focus on with a phone camera, and no macro lenses for my DSLR.

|

post #33 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Mom and dad continue to protect. Still have over 20 fry hanging around. These little ones seem like they will be slow growers for sure.

Really moving around the tank as a unit, exploring quite a bit.

I did add a few more leaves to stimulate some more microbe growth.

Picture with mom and dad protecting. And you can see a few fry to the left. Super difficult to focus on with a phone camera, and no macro lenses for my DSLR.
Damn... I guess I know my plans for tonight, move my female into the tank with the male....
Grobbins48 likes this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"
My Dirted 10 Gallon High Tech:

post #34 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Damn... I guess I know my plans for tonight, move my female into the tank with the male....
Good luck, and be patient. They were together about two months before these little ones showed up! About 20 or so still hanging in there today.
Quagulator and tredford like this.

|

post #35 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Congratulations! These two fish are so amazing!
I love this tank.
Grobbins48 likes this.

Amy
post #36 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Those Apistos look stunning!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Grobbins48 likes this.
post #37 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Congratulations! These two fish are so amazing!
I love this tank.
Thanks! I have been quite impressed by them. I'll be honest didn't expect any fry to make it one week in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_06 View Post
Those Apistos look stunning!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks! It really is crazy how beautiful those fins can get with no fighting or nipping. When I purchased them from the store the male was okay looking but didn't have nearly the tail he has now.

Hopefuly some of these fry make it, very curious to see how they raise up!

|

post #38 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Removed some of the floating plants, wow they grow fast. Getting plenty mor delight into the tank now.

There are about 10 or so fry left (I think) and of those some seem much larger than others. Still hoping for a few of them to pull through. Live BBS feeding is not an option, so I have been using the hikari first bites, and feed the tank with frozen cyclops as well as frozen brine shrimp.

|

post #39 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Cleaned this up a bit!

|

post #40 of 229 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Not too much to update on- Still have fry doing quite well- Hope to get 5 - 10 of them at this point, which is pretty exciting. Otherwise just enjoying a low maintenance, and stress revealing tank!
chayos00 and Discusluv like this.

|

post #41 of 229 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Just a few from today. Enjoy!

|

post #42 of 229 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Was unable to take a pictureof this, but pretty sure I saw some pencil fish fry in the floating plants! Pretty cool if they are able make it.

Wonder how many have been caught in roots of plants I toss... I better be more careful in the future!
mbkemp, Ken Keating1 and Discusluv like this.

|

post #43 of 229 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Here we go again! Fry from last batch are hanging around the whole tank now. Just found these today, my guess by her behaviour is they are about a day old.

Quagulator and Discusluv like this.

|

post #44 of 229 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Maybe someone can help me understand this one:

Tap GH: 8
Blackwater Tank GH:12 (tested twice)

There is BDBS mixed with I believe black moon sand (from when I initially started the tank), mopani, oak, Japanese maple, and mini catapa leaves, and a single small apisto hut. Where does this massive GH swing come from?

Water chances are ~20% every 2-3 weeks (things are going quite well in this tank so I have been taking the approach of minimal disruption, which seems to be yielding results...)

Other parameters:

KH- 8 (tap is 6)
TDS- 290ppm
NO3- 0
PO4- 0
pH- 7.3
Temp 26C (~79F)

|

post #45 of 229 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Maybe someone can help me understand this one:

Tap GH: 8

Blackwater Tank GH:12 (tested twice)

There is BDBS mixed with I believe black moon sand (from when I initially started the tank), mopani, oak, Japanese maple, and mini catapa leaves, and a single small apisto hut. Where does this massive GH swing come from?

Water chances are ~20% every 2-3 weeks (things are going quite well in this tank so I have been taking the approach of minimal disruption, which seems to be yielding results...)

Other parameters:

KH- 8 (tap is 6)

TDS- 290ppm

NO3- 0

PO4- 0

pH- 7.3

Temp 26C (~79F)

If itís been a rapid change I canít explain it. If itís been steadily rising then it could be due to evaporation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grobbins48 likes this.

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode