Grobbins 40 Breeder Planted (Previously 40 Breeder Blackwater Journey) - Page 15 - The Planted Tank Forum
 527Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 228 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 06:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
Great photos! I like how the lighting shines on the plants and fish and leaves the background dark, it almost like it spot lights the key elements of the tank. Very nice.
Agree with this, that last picture and the new lighting setup is dead on!
Ken Keating1 likes this.

Long & shallow 24G: a photoheavy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
inspired by nature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 228 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 01:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Love this whole journal

I've always wanted to try the low maintenance, blackwater type set up but I'm in love with stems and highlight. Like the transition that this tank went through

Yes, the 40 breeders are perfect dimensions
any breeding happening in this tank or do you think the bright lights don't let it happen?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #213 of 228 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
Love this whole journal

I've always wanted to try the low maintenance, blackwater type set up but I'm in love with stems and highlight. Like the transition that this tank went through

Yes, the 40 breeders are perfect dimensions

any breeding happening in this tank or do you think the bright lights don't let it happen?
Thank you! Funny you should ask about breeding. There was one batch of eggs I found on the java fern when cleaning it off. Those obviously didn't stand a chance, but look what I found last night. Now, I am not hopeful in the slightest anything will make it, and I am not setup to try to breed, but it is good to see a healthy and happy tank!

Crazygar and Ken Keating1 like this.

|

post #214 of 228 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Just another water change this week. Some BGA showing up so treated for it after cleaning.

Overall things are going well. One strange thing is since adding CO2 the hygrophila kompakt has been melting some leaves. Seems like this plant is not a huge fan of change!

|

post #215 of 228 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
So glad I found this thread! I recently just added a 40B to my 'arsenal' of tanks and really was thinking 'clearwater' Apisto tank very very similar to what you have here. Tons of information, pictures, and even CO2.

As a side note, I am curious about your CO2 usage/regulation. I am currently planning to use my Apex controller on my 200g reef system to control both my 75g rainbow tank and this new 40B tank. I would need to find a regulator with a manifold and independent solenoids (that should be cheap...not), while the Apex will control the pH drop via each solenoid.

Additionally, I plan to breed, so I am going to go with pencilfish, but man do those neons look absolutely awesome!

Lastly - I was thinking about running just a simple AquaClear 70 HOB...do you think that's sufficient? I realllllly don't like canister filters, so I'm hoping the HOB will suffice.

Again, great job on both tanks!

post #216 of 228 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProndFarms View Post
So glad I found this thread! I recently just added a 40B to my 'arsenal' of tanks and really was thinking 'clearwater' Apisto tank very very similar to what you have here. Tons of information, pictures, and even CO2.

As a side note, I am curious about your CO2 usage/regulation. I am currently planning to use my Apex controller on my 200g reef system to control both my 75g rainbow tank and this new 40B tank. I would need to find a regulator with a manifold and independent solenoids (that should be cheap...not), while the Apex will control the pH drop via each solenoid.

Additionally, I plan to breed, so I am going to go with pencilfish, but man do those neons look absolutely awesome!

Lastly - I was thinking about running just a simple AquaClear 70 HOB...do you think that's sufficient? I realllllly don't like canister filters, so I'm hoping the HOB will suffice.

Again, great job on both tanks!
If you have an Apex and can regulate the pH and have solenoid per tank that is fantastic! I only have the pH controller on my 75 gallon, so I am trying to fine tune my dwyer flow meters on each tank to not ping the CO2 shutoff level in the 75. Getting close. I also am trying to tune down the CO2 in the 40 breeder- I only have the one 10lb tank, and right now with shelter in place orders getting more CO2 would not be an essential activity- and this would really mess with my 75 gallon (not so worried about CO2 in the 40 breeder- but having a spare tank would be really nice now....).

My advice on the pencilfish to get them to breed is to have floating plants. Then were spawning every day when I had them. I only had one fry survive the tank, but the apistogramma learned where they spawned and learned to hunt the surface of the water.

I am sure an AquaClear would work fine- for filtration it really is to each their own.

Good luck with the tank!
ProndFarms likes this.

|

post #217 of 228 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
If you have an Apex and can regulate the pH and have solenoid per tank that is fantastic! I only have the pH controller on my 75 gallon, so I am trying to fine tune my dwyer flow meters on each tank to not ping the CO2 shutoff level in the 75. Getting close. I also am trying to tune down the CO2 in the 40 breeder- I only have the one 10lb tank, and right now with shelter in place orders getting more CO2 would not be an essential activity- and this would really mess with my 75 gallon (not so worried about CO2 in the 40 breeder- but having a spare tank would be really nice now....).

My advice on the pencilfish to get them to breed is to have floating plants. Then were spawning every day when I had them. I only had one fry survive the tank, but the apistogramma learned where they spawned and learned to hunt the surface of the water.

I am sure an AquaClear would work fine- for filtration it really is to each their own.

Good luck with the tank!
Great advice on the pencilfish, though I must admit I think I am looking forward to the Apistos breeding moreso!

Question on the flow meters as I am purchasing a regulator/post body. I'm used to having a needle valve - do these Dwyer flow meters replace the needle valves? Or can they/should they? If so, there are a ton of different models, is there one in particular I should be after?

Appreciate the help!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

post #218 of 228 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProndFarms View Post
Great advice on the pencilfish, though I must admit I think I am looking forward to the Apistos breeding moreso!

Question on the flow meters as I am purchasing a regulator/post body. I'm used to having a needle valve - do these Dwyer flow meters replace the needle valves? Or can they/should they? If so, there are a ton of different models, is there one in particular I should be after?

Appreciate the help!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
On my 75 I am using a RMA 151 by Dwyer. This has its own needle valve and a 5-50 cc/min scale. There are lost of good discussions all over this board about flow meters, I suggest checking them out!

As to the CO2 in the 40 breeder- I am making the call and cutting it off as of today. There is nothing that really is demanding for CO2 in the tanks right now, and I need to conserve the resources for my 75. I will also tune the two Asta 20 lights down- Maybe get PAR around 40 or so at substrate (play with Seneye later on today).

Perhaps when things lift I'll turn the CO2 back on (and keep an extra tank... lesson leaned).

|

post #219 of 228 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It has been a while since an update, and in that time not too much had happened with this tank. Still not cooking with gas right now. We will see if I do go back to gas or not. I'll refill and grab a spare tank in the coming weeks so it will be an option at least.

Did a bit of a cleanup today. Had some BGA to clean up, a bit annoying, but all is well.

Hope all are doing well though this madness, and trying to find a bit of peace with their tanks.
Greggz, ProndFarms, LRJ and 5 others like this.

|

post #220 of 228 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
It has been a while since an update, and in that time not too much had happened with this tank. Still not cooking with gas right now. We will see if I do go back to gas or not. I'll refill and grab a spare tank in the coming weeks so it will be an option at least.

Did a bit of a cleanup today. Had some BGA to clean up, a bit annoying, but all is well.

Hope all are doing well though this madness, and trying to find a bit of peace with their tanks.
Love that green algae growing up that piece of wood near waterline.

The tank looks great and the colors on those fish are spectacular.

What are you feeding?
Grobbins48 likes this.

Amy
post #221 of 228 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Love that green algae growing up that piece of wood near waterline.

The tank looks great and the colors on those fish are spectacular.

What are you feeding?
Thank you! I agree, the algae there is very nice. The buce did not do well at all in this tank (as we can see it is gone...) but is doing well in my 75.

Feeding for both tanks is either vibra bites or bug bites. I prefer the vibra bites. The fish love them both, but I do find the bug bites to be a bit messy.
Discusluv likes this.

|

post #222 of 228 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Cooking with gas again... let's see what happens!
Greggz, ipkiss, Immortal1 and 2 others like this.

|

post #223 of 228 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 12:31 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Gotta love good old (non) flammable gas ;-)
Greggz and Grobbins48 like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #224 of 228 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I know it's not 'right' but I love the way this hygrophila kompakt is looking. Other may think I different but it's pretty cool to me!

rzn7z7, Immortal1 and P.Isley like this.

|

post #225 of 228 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

Good luck with the tank!
Grobbins48 Interesting. I want to do something similar. I have a CO2 regulator with two outlets and I'm trying to figure out how to do this without buying a second controller. The 40B will be planted much lighter than my 75g, so I'm less concerned about getting optimum CO2 than adding a bit to enhance growth. How are you hooking your's up?

The real fountain of youth is being a musician

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode