First planted tank. - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sooflyfisher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First planted tank.

Hi everyone. After more than 13 years out of the hobby I am picking up an 80 gallon aquarium tomorrow. Planning a basic planted tank, with Angels as a feature fish.
While I have kept fish in the past I have never had live plants. I do not plan on going crazy, just plan on having some of the more common easier to find plants. Don't want to get into CO2 or anything fancy.

Here's some of the stuff I have and the questions. I'm looking and open to any help and advice I can get.

The Tank is an 80 gallon (going by the dimensions) 48"x24"x16"

I am getting a Fluval 405 Canister filter with it. May add a second filter at some point as I see many people reccomend going quite a bit higher than the filter recommendations.

Planning on using black blasting sand as a substrate. Any advantage to adding any other fancy substrate underneath the sand?

I have no clue what to do for a light. Not sure if there is one with the tank, likely is. But I am expecting to get a new LED fixture. Any recommendations? I was something that will mount to the tank, this tank will be in my living room so don't want to hang something over it.

For fish the plan is to have angels (not sure how many yet, any thoughts?) possibly cardinal tetras, and some cory's and other bottom dwellers. Definitely open to thoughts on this.

As per plants I am not so sure at all. Thinking the common types, and want to stick to easy to keep plants. Some I have thought of based on my basic knowledge is. Swords, Java ferns, Anubias. Also definitely open to advice here.

Thanks for any help all. I pick up the tank tomorrow and plan on taking lots of pics as I go.

Mike
tredford likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Picked up the tank today. The Stand seems better than I thought, but still going to build a custom stand I think. Not sure If I will use the canopy that I got with it. But if I can find good lamps for it and get it cleaned up I will just to save some money.

Whats the best way to clean the glass on the tank which is also safe?

Bump: Ok not sure whats up but trying to post a pic on that last post and its just not working at all
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

As for cleaning the glass there are a few ways. White vinegar works well to help remove calcium deposits, but sometimes is not strong enough to break through the really tough stuff.

I have used bar keepers friend in the past with good results. The trick is making it almost paste like then scrubbing with a non scratch sponge. Just make sure you rise the tank out really well a few times so there is no residue left. I did this in the summer in my driveway to make it easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode