The Planted Tank Forum banner

First planted tank.

980 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  sooflyfisher 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. After more than 13 years out of the hobby I am picking up an 80 gallon aquarium tomorrow. Planning a basic planted tank, with Angels as a feature fish.
While I have kept fish in the past I have never had live plants. I do not plan on going crazy, just plan on having some of the more common easier to find plants. Don't want to get into CO2 or anything fancy.

Here's some of the stuff I have and the questions. I'm looking and open to any help and advice I can get.

The Tank is an 80 gallon (going by the dimensions) 48"x24"x16"

I am getting a Fluval 405 Canister filter with it. May add a second filter at some point as I see many people reccomend going quite a bit higher than the filter recommendations.

Planning on using black blasting sand as a substrate. Any advantage to adding any other fancy substrate underneath the sand?

I have no clue what to do for a light. Not sure if there is one with the tank, likely is. But I am expecting to get a new LED fixture. Any recommendations? I was something that will mount to the tank, this tank will be in my living room so don't want to hang something over it.

For fish the plan is to have angels (not sure how many yet, any thoughts?) possibly cardinal tetras, and some cory's and other bottom dwellers. Definitely open to thoughts on this.

As per plants I am not so sure at all. Thinking the common types, and want to stick to easy to keep plants. Some I have thought of based on my basic knowledge is. Swords, Java ferns, Anubias. Also definitely open to advice here.

Thanks for any help all. I pick up the tank tomorrow and plan on taking lots of pics as I go.

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
Picked up the tank today. The Stand seems better than I thought, but still going to build a custom stand I think. Not sure If I will use the canopy that I got with it. But if I can find good lamps for it and get it cleaned up I will just to save some money.

Whats the best way to clean the glass on the tank which is also safe?

Bump: Ok not sure whats up but trying to post a pic on that last post and its just not working at all

#3 ·
As for cleaning the glass there are a few ways. White vinegar works well to help remove calcium deposits, but sometimes is not strong enough to break through the really tough stuff.

I have used bar keepers friend in the past with good results. The trick is making it almost paste like then scrubbing with a non scratch sponge. Just make sure you rise the tank out really well a few times so there is no residue left. I did this in the summer in my driveway to make it easier.

#4 ·
It's been a while since I posted anything here so figure I may as well update this. I finally am getting this tank moving, hoping within a month to finally get some plants then some fish into it. Just finished building a DIY stand as I didn't like the one that came with it. Got the tank set up, sand in the bottom and a bit more than half full now. Just waiting on a light and heater I ordered to get in so I can move on.
I bought a new Canister for it, Going with one of the Hydor canisters. Going with a Fluval Plant 3.0 for light and a Hydor inline heater to try and keep the inside of the tank void of stuff.
Heres a few pics of the progress.

What I started with.

Stand build.

And as she sits now.

I don't think I will be going very heavily planted for this one. Have changed my fish plans to 3 Blood parrot's for a feature fish so will be sticking to hardier plants, Thinking mostly swords, Vals and java moss and ferns attached to pots and wood.

#5 ·
Looks like you are off to a great start! I do not think your measurements are accurate though. Looks much taller than 16" high. Typically it's length x width x height. I agree with the volume though, should be an 80. It's almost an 80 gallon Aquarium Master's Frag tank but turned in its side.

#8 ·
Welcome back to the hobby. I did exactly the same thing about 3 mos ago--setting up my first real planted 55g tank for some angels after decades away from the hobby.

With a tank that size you'll have lots of options for fish and plants. What kind of water do you have? That and the lighting you get will determine what plants will do best for you. Angels love tall reedy plants they can swim through & hide in--that's what those stripes are for after all. So jungle val, aponotegon, tall crypts, etc. And plants with broad leaves like swords that they can lay their eggs on.

Angels & cardinals are a classic pairing. You might want some otocinclus catfish to help keep the algae down. If you plan to breed them, avoid plecos because they like to eat eggs. I've always kept some kind of fast breeding livebearer like guppies or mollies with mine--big enough that they can't eat them, but their fry provide a steady supply of live food for them to hunt for.

Enjoy the ride, and keep us posted.....

#10 ·
My light and heater came in this week and finally got things set up pretty decently. Including the new canister. I went with the Hydor Professional 600 for a filter. Seemed to be a decent option with decent performance and not quite as expensive as the other options. I wanted to go with an inline heater as I liked the idea of the cleaner look. Went with the Hydor ETH 300 W. That became an extra bit of work to make hoses fit but think I got it and have seen no leaks. For the light I'm using the Fluval Plant 3.0 and gotta say I think I'm going to really like this thing!
As per the filter I am really impressed by the flow this thing has! Almost think I may have to dial it down just a touch. Though once I figure out the best spray bar position and get the water filled the last couple inches it may be better.

Here's a pic as she sits now. The light is not at 100% as it's in the sunset mode of the cycle. It may actually only be at about 50% or so. Not sure why the water looks so cloudy. Think its just the air bubbles from the spray bar but not completely sure.

#11 ·
Things are now really getting real! Got a bunch of plants today! 17 plants so far mostly just for the background. 8 Amazon swords, 5 jungle vals and 4 Red temples. Put in some flourish root tabs also. Do I still need to do liquid ferts with root tabs?
Have a large piece of wood soaking that I'm going to glue some slate to and get it in after a bit more prep to it. It's going to be about 2-3 feet long. Also have some flat rock to build some caves with though they may be a while before I get to them.

Here's the tank!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.