Getting back into to the hobby - The Planted Tank Forum
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Getting back into to the hobby

A few teaser pics while the tank clears up, enjoy

Greggz, Immortal1, mrfiock and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 03:20 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bonsai?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Love that rooty look. Very nice flow.

And Welcome Back! I have seen you on older posts that I have read through.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 12:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Can't wait to see the whole thing and what you accomplish with it! Looking great so far!

|

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Alright Sean here we go again!!

Looking forward to seeing the full tank and what you have going on this time.

Knowing you it should be a good read!

------------------
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hey all, thank you for the warm welcome back. Now that the tank has cleared up, I can share some full tank shots.

This is a 5.5 gallon, it's going to be a low tech tank. The goal is for people not to believe its low tech when it's done. Low-Med light, no Co2.

I used UNS Contrasoil ultrafine substrate, never used it before. My LFS uses it in all their display tanks and it was (relatively) inexpensive. I like how much cleaner it was over ADA Amazonia, it also didn't send my ammonia through the roof. ADA should me called Ammoniazonia.... BUAHAHA

The light was out of necessity, a DIY light. Will post more about the light in the future.

Plants: Carpet plant is Monte Carlo, behind the trunk will be Ludwigia sp red (aka Super red mini), that is in the mail coming from @burr740 , that's probably the things I've missed most about being in the hobby, getting plants from Joe! I was thinking about using S. Repens for the transition plant between the carpet and the stump, buuuutttttt I think I'm going to go against my better judgment and give Crypt Flamingo a shot... If I can pull it off I think that would look incredible... and I will put Buce here and there on the stump...

Stocking: Crystal Red Shrimp, Galaxy Rasboras, Pigmy Cories, endler guppies, Otto Cats.

And here is my vision, what I hope the tank looks like when its done. Rough drawing in MS Paint

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I got the background plant from @burr740 today! Love getting plans from Joe.

I ordered the Crypt Flamingo on ebay today, hopefully it will be here in the next couple days, then I can get that in and it will pretty much be done in terms of plants. Except buce for the trunk.

Greggz, burr740, Immortal1 and 2 others like this.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 03:51 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Nice! Tank looks a whole lot bigger than 5.5 gal
Gillionaire likes this.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So I was looking at my tank last night and I noticed there was some water under the bottom trim, at first I didn't think anything of it but then I realized the water was on the entire perimeter of the tank and I knew something was wrong.

I looked at the back of the tank and noticed a water drop

I pulled the tank forward and noticed quite a bit of water under the tank and I was like what the heck is going on.

Then I looked at the little HOB filter I'm using, the Azoo Palm Filter Mini, and I noticed the water level was nearly overflowing out the back of the filter, and the bottom of the filter was wet. So it looks like the water would occasionally get a little too excited and overflow from the filter.

Luckily this filter has a flow reducing valve that I was able to turn down to the point where the water wont spill out of the filter. Problem solved.

Side note, One of the leaves of the super red Joe gave me is already pearling! However this is is the highest leaf on the tallest plant closest to the light, and it was the only leaf pearling. but still
Greggz, ipkiss, burr740 and 3 others like this.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 07:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Welcome back and 'phew!' I swore I was going to see a long sidetracking post about a tank leak! Good it was something small and back to regularly scheduled programming!

AND, that's a pretty nice lookin DIY light!

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you, I will be posting about the light soon!

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Went the PetSmart tonight to get a new heater, I got a tiny 5W heater that is used for betas, but it wasn't enough power my water never went above ambient and lately its been around 65 in my room. Grabbed this petsmart brand one... It's larger that I was hoping, but I needed to get the water temp up.

Also while at petsmart I grabbed one of these, if you don't have one, get one haha. These are great. I get the reptile one because its half the price of the "aquarium" one, but they are identical.

The Crypt Flamingo tissue culture came in today, its much smaller than I thought it was going to be... But, I was still able to get 9 usable plantlets from it.

Got em' in the tank, now we wait and cross our fingers!

Obligatory FTS

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Small update, I grabbed a bag of bio media from my friends filter, tossed it in my filter, bam cycled tank. As you know, the sooner you can get algae eaters in the tank the better, so I got put 4 ottos in the tank. I'm currently running an 8.5 hour photo period, from 2pm to 10:30pm, currently don't have any issues with algae. I am running around 30par tho.

I also grabbed a single endler guppy, snakeskin something or another, forget exactly what kind of endler it is. I just wanted to see how it would look in my tank.

I tried to get a pic of the guppy, but he is diffiuclt to get to stand still for a pic, this is the best one I could grab of him

Saw this pearl from across the room and had to grab a pic!

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hey all,

Quick update, sorry no pics this time.

I did the first trim on the stem plants behind the wood, they were getting a bit too tall and some of the stems were sticking out of the water. I decided to do this trim kind of spontaneously, I saw it needed to be done and had 5 minutes to spare so I just did it real quick, but I forgot to take pictures of the before! I replanted a few of the longest stems and threw the rest away.

I have noticed some new growth from the Monte Carlo, but also some leaves going translucent... I turned the light up a bit and noticed a few hours later after turning the light up that pretty much all the monte carlo started to pearl. Hopefully that means they are happier and should see those translucent leaves be a thing of the past.

The crypt flamingo is showing good and bad signs at the same time. A couple leaves on the plants have died, I removed the dead and dying growth and still have my fingers crossed hoping for the best. Out of curiosity I did pull one of the plants up to see that it has sent down roots, so that is promising.

I also decided the Mignon 60 HOB filter simply doesn't have enough flow or media space for my liking, so I placed an order for a SunSun 602B canister filter. That should be MUCH better and I expect I will have to find a way to reduce the flow. I will use the spray bar so that should calm things down, we will know in the next couple days when I set it up.

I am torn as to what "center piece " fish to use for this tank... I am currently leaning towards a chocolate gourmai... but I am also being pulled in the direction of a betta... I have never kept a betta before, and have honestly never given them a second look, always walking right passed their display in fish stores... Any thoughts on that?

Finally, I need your help on what I should name this scape! I am leaning towards something like " gone but not forgotten ", or simply "Forgotten", but I'm open to any input.

Thanks guys!
Greggz, burr740, Immortal1 and 1 others like this.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
Finally, I need your help on what I should name this scape! I am leaning towards something like " gone but not forgotten ", or simply "Forgotten", but I'm open to any input
I like "Ultimate Redemption".

Or wait.........check that...........maybe just........."Redemption".

Which reminds me, what became of the Ultimate LED??

I have this image in my mind of it still sitting there in the corner, and was curious as to it's fate!!!

------------------

Last edited by Greggz; 01-23-2019 at 12:57 AM. Reason: typo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode