The 12 gallon long lava rock scape! (Now also a high-tech 22 gallon long) - Page 8 - The Planted Tank Forum
 135Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 148 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
First things first... I'm hoping someone here can help me with a plant ID. I got this plant labeled as Staurogyne sp. Kerala but I don't think that's what it is. It's the plant with the small roundish leaves in the pictures below.

My understanding was that Staurogyne sp. Kerala leaves come to a point, while these are rounded at the tips. This is also growing more vertically, and more quickly, than I'd expect from a staurogyne species. Could it be Clinipodium brownei? Let me know what you think it might be.

Overall the tank is starting to look really good. The red ludwigia on the side doesn't stand out enough from the background so I think I'm going to use the water wisteria, or some other lacy plant, for the right hand side.

Speaking of the background, the moss is still giving me trouble. The tank would be ready for a "final" shot in a couple weeks if I could get the moss to grow out. I might try placing it in a tray of water outside in the sun for a week or so and see if I can kick off some growth.

The highlight for me right now is the crypts. They've gotten really dense and attractive leaves. I have no idea why it goes in cycles of looking amazing then suddenly melting, but at least it looks good for now!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 148 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I honestly just want to be able submit something to the AGA and have them say, "Yes, that is a Dutch aquascape." Don't get me wrong, it would be great to do well, but I feel somewhat limited in my composition options by the height of the tank (12"). To be able to just be considered would be very cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #108 of 148 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 07:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
it looked a little bit like lobelia cardinalis "mini" but it is stretching out too long. Hmm was it something you traded or bought from someone on here?
I always love these random intruder plants but hard to ID

I love the last tank shot but if you switched the water wisteria for the L.Red I think it would help comply with that "green on the corners" stuff and actually make the structure a little better. The ludwigia looks good just needs time to grown up and redden up.

The blyxa is great because it gives you both red/green contrast when it's happy. The hydrocotyle tripartita looks good as a bushy blob on the side.I wonder if it's hard to keep maintain if you want it super narrow as a divider.

pshh, the height doesn't matter, the tank looks great! definitely a dutch scape once everything starts to fill in!
gjcarew likes this.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #109 of 148 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Not a whole lot to report. Still just waiting on that moss wall to fill in. Everything's looking super lush though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200628_184128.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	900357  

post #110 of 148 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
it looked a little bit like lobelia cardinalis "mini" but it is stretching out too long. Hmm was it something you traded or bought from someone on here?

I always love these random intruder plants but hard to ID

I love the last tank shot but if you switched the water wisteria for the L.Red I think it would help comply with that "green on the corners" stuff and actually make the structure a little better. The ludwigia looks good just needs time to grown up and redden up.

The blyxa is great because it gives you both red/green contrast when it's happy. The hydrocotyle tripartita looks good as a bushy blob on the side.I wonder if it's hard to keep maintain if you want it super narrow as a divider.

pshh, the height doesn't matter, the tank looks great! definitely a dutch scape once everything starts to fill in!
One of the guys in my club thinks the mystery plant is hygrophila serpyllum, and it does look a lot like that. I can't confirm though so I'm currently transitioning to emerged growth to be able to tell the difference.

I did move the ludwigia as you said and after a week it looks so good that it gets to stay there. Unfortunately that meant another plant had to get the axe (stupid Dutch rules!) so the hydrocotyle tripartita is gone. The problem is that now with the blyxa all over the right hand foreground it's way too red, so now it might have to switch places with the staurogyne repens.... It's never ending!

I'm currently visiting family for a couple of weeks so I'm sure I'll have some sort of disaster on my hands when I get back. Oh well, as long as we're quarantined I have nothing else to fill my time!

post #111 of 148 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 10:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Oh the tank really is fillin in! Lookin good

Good luck when you get back, heres to hopin nothing bad awaits you
gjcarew likes this.

my 20 gallon journal:

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #112 of 148 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Back from a vacation in Utah. What a beautiful part of the country!

My dreams of aquatic disaster were unfounded. The tank (really just the rotala) is way overgrown, but I have to admit I kind of like it. Very wild looking! No algae even with no water changes for two weeks.

I'll get my hands in there tomorrow for a trim and water change, I'm too exhausted tonight. Stay tuned for an update!

Bserve, doug105! and belka085 like this.

post #113 of 148 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 06:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
very nicely grown in tank! for 2 weeks without maintenance I think it did pretty awesome!
how did you manage to feed the fish during that time? did you fertilize at all?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #114 of 148 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My mom came by and fed the fish and watered the garden. I front loaded ferts at about half the usual level

post #115 of 148 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 07:26 PM
Algae Grower

Your mystery plant looks like Lobelia Cardinalis, possibly the mini variety. I have it in my tank as well currently. It grows short and thick under high lighting, but tends to stay tall and slender under lower light levels (normally).
post #116 of 148 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 05:55 AM
Algae Grower

time for a trim

post #117 of 148 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The staurogyne repens and pogo erectus need to be uprooted and replanted, but I'm putting it off for another week. Anybody think the crypt spiralis needs to be thinned out too? I can't decide.

I want to expand the ludwigia red grouping. I also need to fix the syngonanthus as it's a pretty uneven street at the moment.

On a more structural level the blyxa kind of blends in to the substrate and I wish it was more green. I'm going to see if some osmocote will help it turn green.

I'd also love feedback on the spacing of the groups. Is it too crowded? Anyways, pic below.

doug105! likes this.

Last edited by gjcarew; 07-22-2020 at 09:14 PM.
post #118 of 148 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 01:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
The first moss wall was ugly and didn't really work. I went with Burr's method instead. I had trouble finding the mesh at first but if anyone's looking it can be found if you search for "fur suit eye mesh" on Amazon (I know, weird AF). I'm currently trying two different walls, right side is mini Christmas moss and the left side is anubias nana petite.

\
Hi @gjcarew,

How'd you end up attaching the mesh to the back of the tank? I was planning out something similar to anchor my mass of moss and was considering magnets but curious of what you used.

thanks!

post #119 of 148 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
Hi @gjcarew,

How'd you end up attaching the mesh to the back of the tank? I was planning out something similar to anchor my mass of moss and was considering magnets but curious of what you used.

thanks!
Since it's two pieces of needlepoint mesh it's actually pretty rigid. I just shoved it in to the substrate in the back and it stands up on its own.

ipkiss likes this.

post #120 of 148 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 01:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
hmm.. nice. plus its a low height so you don't have that leaning out at the top.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode